Latest MM version keeps crashing [#16992]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Darrin J. Wolf

Latest MM version keeps crashing [#16992]

Post by Darrin J. Wolf »

Hello, I am using the latest version of Windows with the latest version of MM, and I recently just updated to this version using my lifetime license. I just wanted to report that this new version is constantly doing the following:
1) Most often: Audio will just go silent. The track progress on the UI is still moving along indicating the song file (a local mp3 file on my Windows machine that is playing back from an attached USBC-connected high speed external HDD hard drive) is still playing. However, there is no sound even with volume all the way up.
2) Sometimes: I will be working on my computer (software developer) with MM playing tunes - all stored on the HDD drive as in #1 above... suddenly, I will notice that the music is no longer playing. I find that MM has crashed, and just no longer running. When I mouse over the (lower right) task bar icon, it results in clearing the icon, indicating that it has crashed and no longer running.

In both of the above cases, I make sure there is no mediamonkey task running in task manger, and then restart it. Then it returns to working fine. This happens multiple times every day.

I actually may want to reinstall the previous version if this continues, however, I do like the new UI look - except, the (default) new look is very "busy" looking, and I have to close many of the noisy/flashy looking art, lyrics, etc. which are distracting.

Anyway, this is my "feedback" and I hope it makes its way to the right teams! Nice work!
-Darrin
Lowlander

Re: Latest MM version keeps crashing

Post by Lowlander »

1) Which Output Plugin are you using (Tools > Options > Audio Output (plug-ins)?

2) Which actual Build (Help > About) are you using?

3) You can change what is shown in MediaMonkey 5. For example the List view is still available and features no Artwork: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ging_Views
Darrin J. Wolf

Post by Darrin J. Wolf »

1) MediaMonkey WASAPI output --> out_WASAPI.dll
2) 5.0.1.2433 (Portable mode), MediaMonkey Gold (Lifetime)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Seems to be a case of: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16992 Switching to MediaMonkey DirectSound should solve the issue for now.
It would be helpful if you capture the problem with WASAPI in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

For now there is not a known reason this happens, so this will help a developer analyze the same issue in your setup.

2) There are various fixes in 5.0.2 that may have already fixed the problem: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d If you do experience this on the latest beta, please also capture it in a debug log (step 4b).