Is there a 64 bit build of MMW5?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

feline1

Is there a 64 bit build of MMW5?

Post by feline1 »

Hello,
one thing I noticed about MMW5 is that it is just a 32bit application? (At least, the one I have installed is only 32 bit)
Is there 64 bit build available too? (Surely the large majority of Windows OS's are 64 bits these days? Would it not improve performance when dealing with music libraries of terabyte size to have a native 64bit application? Or would it make no difference...?)
dtsig

Re: Is there a 64 bit build of MMW5?

Post by dtsig »

No ... no 64 bit and none planned
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

feline1 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:59 am Hello,
one thing I noticed about MMW5 is that it is just a 32bit application? (At least, the one I have installed is only 32 bit)
Is there 64 bit build available too? (Surely the large majority of Windows OS's are 64 bits these days? Would it not improve performance when dealing with music libraries of terabyte size to have a native 64bit application? Or would it make no difference...?)
There's another post about this somewhere and one of the mods said something about them trying it out and it seemed to perform worse than 32bit version
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
feline1

Post by feline1 »

sounds like they need a better compiler ;)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Actually we already have 64-bit compiler and compiled MM5 as 64-bit app. The problem is that it breaks compatibility with older 32-bits plugins and futher MM 32-bit dependent components, so it is not usable atm, but definetely planned for the future versions.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Well I don't use any plugins though ;)
Can't you just make that the problem of the plugin developers? That's the way these things are usually done! :lol:
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I'm pretty sure that these plugins that Ludek is referring to are ancient WinAmp plugins, whose development have long since ended. But since the development of MM5 has been emphasizing cross platform compatibility for a while, and the plan is to bring it to Mac OS (+ hopefully Linux), I'm not sure what we're gonna do with those plugins. We'll see in due time!

What I can say for certain is that we'll want the 32 bit version to be more mature before increasing the number of builds that see released. After all, releasing both a 32 and 64 bit version will double the amount of QA testing that has to be done. Can't say when that'll start, though.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Just focus on the 64 bit build and treat the 32 bit one as a 'legacy' build which gets far less testing :lol:
Peke

Post by Peke »

feline1 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:50 pm Just focus on the 64 bit build and treat the 32 bit one as a 'legacy' build which gets far less testing :lol:
When it comes to that and MM gets out on x64 we can talk about it. x86 have its purpose.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rlamb515@gmail.com

Media Monkey 32 bit

Post by rlamb515@gmail.com »

I had Win 10 and now upgraded to Win 11. I notice Media Monkey is 32 bit. Isnt there a 64 bit version? How do I download that one if there is? I have the Gold 5 version currently. Could be why I have had issues with your software. Thank you
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is only a 32 bit version and it should work just as well. What problem did you experience with MediaMonkey?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Just as counterpoint to the above, why push for time wasted by Developers on a 64-bit version??

In my experience only programs which use gigabyte sized files benefit from 64bit, and most 64bit versions I have seen use much more ram, and do not perform any better (in my experience worse) than their 32 bit originals.

Even Windows 11 is perfectly capable of running 32-bit stuff very well.

So my vote is definitely concentrate on improving the existing 32bit versions. I can see no reason to rush for the other.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Rob_S wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:16 pm Just as counterpoint to the above, why push for time wasted by Developers on a 64-bit version??

In my experience only programs which use gigabyte sized files benefit from 64bit,
My music library is 702GB #justsayin :wink:
pip_pill

Post by pip_pill »

Can we also work on a 16 bit version?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That is individual files which are all likely relatively small. The main problem MediaMonkey can run into is the size of the database file and that has not been an issue yet.