MediaMoney using WINE/Crossover Linux

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ronnz98

MediaMoney using WINE/Crossover Linux

Post by ronnz98 »

Hello,

I could successfully run MediaMonkey 4 on Crossover Linux 20 with Winamp as external MP3 player.
However, for MediaMonkey 5 I cannot use an external MP3 player and if I try to play a song I receive a "... could not decode file" error message. Other than that MediaMonkey 5 seems to run pretty stable under Crossover Linux.
Could anyone run MediaMonkey 5 successfully under WINE/Crossover Linux?

Best regards,
Ronald
drakinite

Re: MediaMoney using WINE/Crossover Linux

Post by drakinite »

I did manage to get it to run on WINE, but not stably. I don't think Chromium likes being run on WINE, unfortunately, and leads to UI glitches. But if you were able to get it to run on Crossover Linux, that's promising — What makes you need to use an external MP3 player via MediaMonkey? I haven't heard of that use case before.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
ronnz

Post by ronnz »

because neither for Mediamonkey 4 nor Mediamonkey 5 I can play mp3 files. I get an error message that mp3 files cannot be decoded.
For Mediamonkey 4 I have the workaround to use Winamp as external mp3 player which works well.
For Mediamonkey 5 it is however not possible to select an external mp3 player .
I tried now playing ogg, flac and WAV files in Mediamonkey 5 with Crossover Linux/WINE and it works fine!
So it seems there is an issue with the mp3 decoder used, WINE does not seem to get along with it. Any workarounds?

btw. I installed and tried the latest beta version MediaMonkey_5.0.2.2516.exe and it seems to be also very stable (and fixes some UI issues I faced with the stable version)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried an alternative MP3 decoder: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... dont-play/
ronnz

Post by ronnz »

Finally it worked!
I tried MAD Winamp plug in.
https://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg ... n/#install

I copyied then the "in_mad.dll" in the plugin folder of Mediamonkey 4/5 and it worked.
I tried Mediamonkey 5 stable and latest beta. Both worked.
I use Crossover Linux 20 and 21, but WINE I suppose should be also working.
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

drakinite wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:54 pm I did manage to get it to run on WINE, but not stably. I don't think Chromium likes being run on WINE, unfortunately, and leads to UI glitches.
You two made me curious to retry MM5 2433 on linux.
At first, with the default wine version (Debian 11) I had visual glitches and crashes as well.
But with wine 6.10: No problems* at all so far (few hours in). Literally everything seems to work (except video playback).
(Using playonlinux makes it easy to make and manage installations and to change to different wine versions.)
drakinite wrote:What makes you need to use an external MP3 player via MediaMonkey? I haven't heard of that use case before.
Was going to ask the same. Under wine the MAD-Plugin did a perfect job to play anything thrown at it for many years with MM4 and seemingly it still does with MM5.
But there is another important point to it:
Playback is 100% stable with it.
As soon as I disable the MAD-Plugin, playback of any mp3 crashes MM5 immediately.

*Update:
No problems with playback at least. Had a crash after a while during adding/scanning a large amount of new tracks.
The already scanned tracks were not lost, and the second attempt finished without problems.
Overall MM5 has become a much more pleasant experience than MM4 on Linux/wine.
No non-skinned mode anymore.. .
Last edited by Friedrich on Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey relies on Windows MP3 Codecs, this is likely where the problem stems from. in_mad provides MP3 decoding, bypassing the need for system codecs.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Friedrich wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:00 pm But with wine 6.10: No problems* at all so far (few hours in). Literally everything seems to work (except video playback).
(Using playonlinux makes it easy to make and manage installations and to change to different wine versions.)
Hey, that's great to hear! Did you use any special settings in your configuration, or did it work "out of the box", per se?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

drakinite wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:38 pm Did you use any special settings in your configuration, or did it work "out of the box", per se?
No, nothing special:
Just finished redoing the process for testing purpose:
- Installed MM5 in a 32bit wine-prefix choosing wine version 6.10 with playonlinux.
- Installed MAD-Plugin in the same prefix.
- Scanned files (~40000) (had to restart twice this time)
Done.
BTW: Even the video playback of the "online" (youtube) feature works.
Completely overlooked by me so far, but very nice to explore tracks related to the ones in the library. I am impressed..
Also tried wine 6.18 (the latest development release, installable through playonlinux) but that did not work well: crashes. So 6.10 it is.

Update 1:
Had some mild but annoying crackling noise here and there during playback.
Changing the following line in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect
to:

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
seems to fix this completely.

Update 2:
While tagging etc. of videos works fine, playing local videos directly with MM5 does not work under Linux/Wine.
Solution: Install VLC 32bit in the same prefix, allow vlc setup to enable file associations with video and in MM5 check "use default external videoplayer": Playback with VLC is flawless.
In my experience external codecs or codec-packs potentially mess up the whole installation and don't work well anyway.
The MM5 codec pack is rather benign in that regard as it installs but simply does not work in this environment.
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

drakinite wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:38 pm Hey, that's great to hear!
Did you try wine 6.1 by now?
Thinking about updating the MM-Wiki entry about Linux/wine and MM5.. .
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I tried it with a trial of Crossover Linux, and it works quite well. Considering paying for it, as the Wine developers themselves say that funds from the purchases go toward Wine. Not entirely certain which version of Wine it's using under the hood.

Re the wiki: I'm not sure if the MM wiki is editable by everyone; If you're unable to do it, feel free to send the suggested changes either in a DM to me or a support ticket.
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

drakinite wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:40 pm I'm not sure if the MM wiki is editable by everyone
Not by everyone, but after registration (ages ago..).
Though it helped me a lot in the past, it has become quite messy and outdated by now.
I intend to use basically the above description of the process, with some more explanations and eventually differences
between MM4 and MM5 on top of the existing texts if that is OK for you guys.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Sure!
cypher809

Post by cypher809 »

Hi guys,
I'm trying to make the switch from windows but this is a big sticking point. I've tried installing MM4 and MM5 on the latest wine and wine 6.10 as you suggested and still no luck :( I just installed PlayOnLinux, created a 32-bit wine prefix, and then installed MM5 but when I run it the whole interface is messed up I have to kill it manually.
Are you sure there aren't additional configurations that you did? Would it make a difference that I'm running on Manjaro? If you guys could post more details about how you set it up I'd be eternally grateful.
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

Hi, cypher809
cypher809 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:23 am Would it make a difference that I'm running on Manjaro?
Just installed and having MM 2527 running succesfully on Manjaro.
I left the wine version that playonlinux offered as default ("system") that seems to be wine-6.23 as per output of " wine --version".
I've tried installing MM4 and MM5 on the latest wine and wine 6.10
You tried both? (The 6.10 recommendation seems already a bit outdated and referred to a installation of MM2433 under debian11 which was at that point in time the most stable MM5 version.)
installed MM5 but when I run it the whole interface is messed up
Does this happen at a certain point (for example scanning for tracks) or immediately after start?
The latter has never happened here. Which DE do you use?
Here it is Plasma. Messed interface sounds like a rendering problem to me. Do you use wayland? (I don't)
I had to restart the scanning process a few times (2-3) because MM5 crashed during scanning.
Killing all MM5 processes with the task-manager and restart. Tracks already scanned are not lost so in the end it gets it finished.
After that no problems at all. Could not be happier.
(Not even any crackling, so no need to edit /etc/pulse/default.pa here.)
Apart from installing the MAD-Plugin for audio playback and VLC for use as "external video player" in the MM5 player options in the same playonlinux prefix really nothing special.
One point though: I deactivate all auto-tagging functions before any scanning. Don't know if that makes a difference, but i want full control over tagging anyway.

Good luck! I am sure you will get there.