Configuring tablet and phone is unreliable

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

Configuring tablet and phone is unreliable

Post by terryo »

The new system for configuring my phone or tablet in MM5 is unreliable. It opens only 1 out of 4-6 times. I click Configure and most of the time the dialogue box disappears and nothing happens.

I am using MM 5.0.2.2519 a Samsung Galaxy 9 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab. The behavior is the same with both the phone and the tablet.
Lowlander

Re: Configuring tablet and phone is unreliable

Post by Lowlander »

What exact dialog are you referring to?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:37 pm What exact dialog are you referring to?
D&S>Device panel presumably.

terryo, if this is correct, are you trying to do a USB or WiFi sync?

If USB, what does the dropdown notification shade on your phone say?
ie. USB Transfer is turned on. .. ?
or Charging this device via USB .. ?

If the later, you need to toggle this to "File Transfer"
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
terryo

Post by terryo »

It is a popup dialog box that appears near the bottom of the screen when I connect the phone or tablet via USB acknowledging the device and showing a box marked configuration. Clicking it rarely brings up the configuration screen.
terryo

Post by terryo »

When attached via USB, no dialog box shows up on either the phone or the tablet.
terryo

Post by terryo »

I primarily use Wi-Fi sync. But in MM4 I always used USB connection to configure the playlists that synchronized. If there was a way to do it from the phone/tablet/computer with a Wi-Fi connection, I never learned it.

If MM5 replaced this old USB method with a better way of configuring a phone or tablet, I'd sure like to know how to use it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Go to Devices & Services in the Media Tree and you can edit your Device Profile: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0
terryo

Post by terryo »

I cannot find "Devices and Services".

There is no "Media Tree" under "View" in the Main Menu.

I assume Media Tree is the left panel, but there is no Devices and Services in that panel nor anywhere else I can find in MM5.

What's the secret?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Media Tree: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... #Interface

Devices & Services: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... mputer/5.0

If you don't see it, you might have disabled it under Tools > Options > Collections & Views.
terryo

Post by terryo »

Thanks for the links. They enabled me to discover a bug. When I go to "Configure collections and nodes", I found "Devices and Services". When I clicked on it to enable showing it, the Folders node disappeared and would not return. I had to have the box checked and reopen MM5 to get it to reappear.
terryo

Post by terryo »

The configuration interface has shifted in MM5, but it is still the clunky code. I still get the "frozen" message advising me to use Wi-Fi sync.

If Wi-Fi sync can change the configuration of the playlists to be synced on the phone, I can't figure out how to do it.

So I click OK on the "frozen" dialog box in MMW and wait forever and hope, because many times it does not work, just like in MM4. Today I am lucky. After 4 minutes (!), I finally got the 'please confirm the following changes' dialog box.

Of all the things MMW & MMA does, syncing is the most enticing and disappointing. Among my music loving friends who use MMW, I am the only one who has run the obtuse gauntlet to use MMA on my phone with syncing.
terryo

Post by terryo »

Finally squared away my two tablets and phone. The setup for syncing is not for the tech adverse, but once you get through setup, it is more manageable than it used to be, especially for our older Tab S, which my wife uses in the kitchen.

MM5 had an unexpectedly sharp learning curve coming from MM4, but now that I am getting used to it, I see a lot of nice improvements.