[REQ] Remember the level of Tree expansion

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jimlynch22

[REQ] Remember the level of Tree expansion

Post by jimlynch22 »

I think it would save a lot of clicking if the tree remembers the last level of expansion when it is collapsed, particularly on Location node. For example, if you click on Location and drill down several levels, and then collapse Location, the next time you expand Location it expands all the way down to where you last were. In my example, this saves 5 clicks everytime.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FBXnEy ... sp=sharing
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Remember the level of Tree expansion

Post by Lowlander »

You can use Pinned to save some shortcuts to frequently used locations.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:14 pm You can use Pinned to save some shortcuts to frequently used locations.
IMO the Pin facility. as currently implemented. is of not much use in this, or any, situation:
  1. You can only pick up Pins in Browser View
  2. There is no possibility to create a Hot Key to switch to Browser View
  3. There is no possibility to assign a Hot Key to a specific Pin
  4. Browser View is not always available, ie. unavailable from the top of the Location node
  5. Browser View in the Location node appears to be broken, ie. doesn't even display the Pins
This means that if the aim is to save key strokes, then the Pin facility is a fail IMO

Hi jimlynch22

your Location node experience will improve if you use the Folder Tree that is inbuilt into that View .. nb. is available in Folder node also.

Unlike the Media Tree (left hand panel), this Folder Tree implements Power Scroll (ie. type a letter or two, and the tree scrolls to that position). That delivers key stroke savings.

See this diagram:
  1. close the the left panel via the piano thing
  2. if you have a large collection, turn off the Recursive view control (make it look like pictured, with an embedded "+" character
  3. navigate somewhere below the the top level of the file structure, necessary to make the View Element visible used in Step five
  4. open the View dropdown menu
  5. enable the inbuilt Tree (Folders) View Element
  6. this has opened that Folders Tree
Click on the list, and then you can Power Scroll

nb. once Folders node for a Collection is setup this way, it will remain that way... So all that setup is not required next time. All you need to do open the top level share.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

@Barry
Your response here prompted me to look at the Location node for the first time. I didn't realise it had it's own tree.
1. IYO what are the main benefits in using the Location node.
2. Is Editing properties from the location node any different from other nodes?
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi David,
Davo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:58 pm 1. IYO what are the main benefits in using the Location node.
One could ask what is the benefits of using any of the sub-nodes? ie. I don't use them, or the Media tree, for navigation much anymore. MM5 Views and the more upfront MM5 filter capacity has pushed them to the background in my normal Use Case.

The Location sub-node is the one I do use the most.

When I rip new albums I don't use MM5 because it not the best or even adequate tool IMO.
I rip the albums to a folder on a local PC disc, which is MM5 is monitoring, so MM5 immediately adds the tracks to the MM database.
nb. My collection is sitting on a network disk, not on a local PC disk.
The Location node is best for my purpose because I can filter to just fresh rips (on the local PC disk), it unlike the Folders node it only shows tracks that are already in the MM database.

I review the all the track metadata in MM. Maybe play a couple of tracks to make sure that I want them.
I do this while they are in their own little "location" sandbox.

Once I have made any changes, and are happy I use a MM5 tab open at this location sub-node as my "From" tab, and a MM5 tab open in the Folders node as my "To" tab ... and use MM to move the tracks to my network drive. Once the "From" Location tab is empty. I know that I am done.

Davo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:58 pm 2. Is Editing properties from the location node any different from other nodes?
No it is just a quick convenience way to filter to a specific folder tree on a disk.

It is also important to people who navigate their collection by folder rather than by track metadata (aka tags), presumably because they have a lot of untagged tracks, or tracks with dodgy tags, or they don't really understand what metadata is and how it helps ... the general lack of MM Getting Started documentation doesn't help them IMO

Also the Location node can be faster to navigate through if you have a very large collection because the MM database has all track locations indexed, whilst the Folder node has to walk through the whole folder tree looking for media files.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Thanks Barry
I use a "sandbox" as well, but all my editing is done in Foobar. I only add to MM after the files have been edited & then transferred to their respective hard drive locations.
David