.mka files to database ? [#18617]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

AlBundy001

.mka files to database ? [#18617]

Post by AlBundy001 »

Hello,

I'm pretty new with MM5 and have a question:

Building the database with .mp3 files works great. No problems at all.

Beside I have a collection of 5.1 coded music (AC3) in .mka containers. Unfortunately these files are not recognized as music (from what I understand so far).

But when I use from the main menu "File -> Open file or URL..." I can choose these .mka files and they are playing perfectly(!) in 5.1 when casting them to NVidia shield via DLNA. :D

What can I do to add these files to the database?

Many thanks in advance.
Lowlander

Re: .mka files to database ?

Post by Lowlander »

This is one complicated format to deal with with poor tagging support. Could you share a sample file with Support to see what we can do with it: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support
rusty

Post by rusty »

Out of curiousity, where did you get these mka files? I know that they're sometimes used for streaming, but have never seen or heard of a user asking them to be supported for local storage/playback.

Thanks!

-Rusty
AlBundy001

Post by AlBundy001 »

rusty wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:05 am Out of curiousity, where did you get these mka files? I know that they're sometimes used for streaming, but have never seen or heard of a user asking them to be supported for local storage/playback.

Thanks!

-Rusty
I have some Super Audio CD's with 5.1 tracks and ripped them to disk. Because .flac took more space I decided to recode them with XMedia Recode to AC3 5.1 format in mka container. In parallel I also run a Plex server and .mka's with tags are recognized without any problem.
If you have any recommendations regarding containers for 5.1/AC3 music tracks - I would greatly appreciate. :)

Thanks

Joerg
AlBundy001

Post by AlBundy001 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:52 pm This is one complicated format to deal with with poor tagging support. Could you share a sample file with Support to see what we can do with it: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support
Thanks for your response.
I created a new ticket. #3242

Best regards

Joerg
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for Request, it looks reasonable.

We Added it at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18617

Sure you know, but FLAC is Lossless format and AC3 is Lossy which explains smaller size. Personally even FLAC is much bigger having lossless RIP of Super Audio CD (I personally have never had one in my hands) in 5.1 channels would be FLAC 1000%.

As an Example When I archive my BR Disks I always RIP two Audio versions one 2ch for regular playback and external "Dolby Digital Pplus 5.1 Atmos Audio" and/or BR DTS Audio which for 2h movie can be up to 2GB for Audio only. But that is just me ;)

HINT: Latest MM5.0.2 builds also play native DSD format from RIP-ed SACDs so you can have as close to Bit To Bit as possible.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
AlBundy001

Re: .mka files to database ? [#18617]

Post by AlBundy001 »

Thanks a lot for taking care of mka's in the future! Excellent support here! :D

Best regards

Joerg
AlBundy001

Post by AlBundy001 »

May I kindly ask if you have plans to add mka support in the near future for MM5.0.3 ?

Best regards
Joerg
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is still in consideration about best approach.

Have not looked closely, but if it has same complexity problems around Metadata like MKV it will take more time to implement.

Personally out of 200k+ tracks I do not have any MKA Music files except few external Video Audio streams in different languages and formats.
Best regards,
Peke
AlBundy001

Post by AlBundy001 »

Well...

I do not insist on format of mka. I'm just looking for a container to play 5.1 music and be able to stream this to DLNA device(s) in my home network (includings meta data with covers).

If you have any hints like "Use aac or xxx ..." I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.
I tried so much but meanwhile I probably cannot "see the forest for the trees" through all the possible codecs ...

Sorry if my english sounds a bit strange : I'm from germany :D

Thanks again and regards
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tested and 5.1 FLAC files play normally as 5.1 FLAC files over DLNA.

I also have friend that Have Sony STR-DN1080 that by specs should support FLAC 5.1, but I ma not sure when I'll make it to test it as he is abroad for past year or so.

Thing you can do ATM is to locate your Device (Possibly MAC and/or IP address) and Make specific Conversion from FLAC -> 5.1 WAV (24bit/48khz/6ch at max)
Best regards,
Peke
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've tested and the Sony STR-DN1080 supports 5.1 FLAC files over DLNA from MediaMonkey.
AlBundy001

Post by AlBundy001 »

Yeah... 5.1 FLAC is OK. But consumes much more disk space than AC3 5.1 encoded .mka files.
Nearly a year has gone by but no updates so far in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18617

Any plans to implment mka support in the near future?

Greetings

Joerg
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MKA/AC3 is not supported streaming format and can be played only from USB not over network.

FYI FLAC 5.1 is lossless and AC3 is lossy format. So you can't compare them only by size.

Re support: Unfortunately is is lower priority due the complex licensing issues and very rarely used/supported format due the same licensing issues that all manufacturers face.
Best regards,
Peke