Sync deletes podcasts not on the PC without asking

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Yerushalmi

Sync deletes podcasts not on the PC without asking

Post by Yerushalmi »

I upload music and podcasts onto my phone from my home computer. I download music but not podcasts from my phone onto my work computer.

But every time I sync the phone with my work computer, all of the podcasts that aren't on the work computer get deleted from the phone - even though I don't have anything selected on the Library --> Device window, and it shouldn't be touching anything on the device:

online image hosting

(The work computer does contain two dozen episodes of one podcast, and those episodes don't get deleted from the phone. All the other podcasts' episodes do get deleted.)

The work computer:
Dell Latitude 7420, 64-bit Windows 10, running MMW 5.0.2.2524.

The home computer:
Samsung Galaxy Book Go, ARM64 processor, Windows 10, running MMW 5.0.2.2524.

The phone:
Samsung Galaxy A12, running MMA version 1.4.5.0960
Ludek

Re: Sync deletes podcasts not on the PC without asking

Post by Ludek »

This is indeed unexpected and I have no idea why this should happen (especially when the [ ] Delete other files ... checkbox is disabled).

Are you sure that it is MM5 deleting the files? Isn't it just a device profile mismatch (syncing with another device profile configured to delete the files) ?
Anyhow MM5/MMA always shows confirmation before the deletion (by default).

If you are sure that the podcasts are deleted during sync then please capture it in debug log and attach to eSupport ticket ( item 4b here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ).

Thanks!
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

I don't have anything else interacting with the phone that I know of.

Between this and my other bug reports in the Grand Sync Adventure of December 2021, you've given me a lot of debug logging homework :) I'll get them to you as soon as I can.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Yerushalmi,

Thanks for your patience with this.

Re.:
I upload music and podcasts onto my phone from my home computer. I download music but not podcasts from my phone onto my work computer.
To make sure I understand correctly, are you:
1) Manually copying music and podcasts from your home computer to your phone (i.e. not using MediaMonkey to sync this content)?
2) Syncing content from your phone to your work computer using MediaMonkey?
3) If using MediaMonkey for either of the above, can you confirm whether you're using USB sync or Wi-Fi sync?

Thanks!

-Rusty
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

On the contrary, thank you for your patience with me!

Whenever I purchase a new music file or download a new podcast episode, I am doing so solely on my home computer: Samsung Galaxy Book Go, ARM64 processor, Windows 10, running MMW 5.0.2.2524. I add them to my MediaMonkey library.

I then use USB sync in MMW to transfer the new files to my phone: Samsung Galaxy A12, running MMA version 1.4.5.0960.

I then connect the phone to my work computer and use USB sync to transfer the new files to there: Dell Latitude 7420, 64-bit Windows 10, running MMW 5.0.2.2524. This last transfer does not include podcasts, with the exception of a single set of episodes from a defunct podcast that I essentially treat as music files, and of which there are never any new episodes.

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some serious, only-to-me error that's causing both this bug and the playlist bug we've been talking about in the other thread. It's been driving me crazy and surely others would have complained about it. But if anything I should have fewer issues because everything here is as close to a clean install as you could ask for; my phone has a total of five apps on it including MMA, and both my home and work computers were replaced within the last two months.

The only thing I can think of that others might not be doing is that my MMA installation is sideloaded from apkmirror because I refuse to log in to Google Play. But surely that wouldn't cause something like this, would it?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,
I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some serious, only-to-me error that's causing both this bug and the playlist bug we've been talking about in the other thread. It's been driving me crazy and surely others would have complained about it.
What's different about your usecase is that you're syncing a single device with 2 different instances of MMW. It's not a scenario that we test nor one that afaik MM is designed to handle--waiting on clarification from the devs.

-Rusty
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

That genuinely surprises me!

Particularly as each sync I'm performing is (or at least should be) one-way. Ideally I want information and data to flow in the direction [home PC]-->[phone]-->[work PC], and never in the other direction. Each individual sync should be a perfectly normal instance of copying of information from Device A to Device B, shouldn't it?

Not to mention I've been using MMW this way for almost a decade. I only started having corruption problems when I switched to a smartphone; until three weeks ago I used a bog-standard MP3 player like an iPod or SansaClip.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Just an uninformed guess: You could try clearing out the Podcast location settings in he Sync Profile tab in your work computer's Devices&Services><yourPhone> node in MM5. ... Do this via the Configuration button on the Podcast lines.

Also check that the Enforce use of sync mask option is unchecked on that same tab.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

Okay, after many attempts I got the device to sync with my home computer again, checked that the podcasts and playlists were all on the device, and then synced with the work computer while debug was running.

Assuming the log captured everything, it should capture:

* The deletion of all the podcasts on the device
* The lack of copying playlists from the device to the PC and the corruption of an existing playlist on the device (from the other thread)

I have just one problem:
For an MTP device, please generate a log of the device's internal structure using the following tool: http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/testtools/WMLog.exe
To use the tool, save it to the /Program Files/MediaMonkey directory and run it after connecting your device.
I opened WMLog and hit Create Log. And it is running and running and running and running, and I can't even click on the save button. I opened the ticket anyway in the meantime: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/?su ... 9GouzjwZ0q
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, I'll analyze the logs and reply via the tickets..