Streaming from Sonos Play 1(?)

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Zonky

Streaming from Sonos Play 1(?)

Post by Zonky »

The current MM5 allows me to connect to my local Sonos Play 1 devices. I can browser e.g. queues or access my favorites radio channels, much like I can do when using Sonos' original Android app.

However, when trying to play e.q. some music from one of my (Amazon) queues, configured on Sonos' side, nothing happens on my PC, running MM5 of course :D

This happens too when trying to stream from my radio channels to MM5. I can see those stations and "start" streaming however MM5 does nothing at the very end.

So, anyone who owns a Play 1 and has tried to stream *from* those devices to MM5, already?

cu,
Michael
Barry4679

Re: Streaming from Sonos Play 1(?)

Post by Barry4679 »

You have Sonos Settings|Advanced set to allow Control From Other Devices?

There are multiple ways cause Sonos & MM to interact. ... All have flaws.

MM5 Devices&Services>ASonosZone
For me, this is the least useful and the least functional. I have multiple Sonos units, and I would need to track their IP addresses to know which was which.
I chose a Sonos unit, and when I clicked ConfigureRemoteAccess I got an error message telling me remote access could not be auto-configured via UPnP/NAT-PMP, whatever that means ... and it told me to go to my router and reconfigure port forwarding.
If I try and open a Sonos zone, MM5 just runs it's circle thing forever.
So I can't answer your query.
Even if I could get this going, I don't think that I would find it very useful. ... ie. there are other better ways to play radio or streamed services on Sonos zones IMO

What does work (nearly):
1. Browse your MM5 (custom) indices using a Sonos controller. ... You can queue single tracks, but not whole albums ... although you can multi-select tracks using the Sonos desktop controller, and queue the selection. ... Art is not displayed on the Sonos controller ... no visibility of queue, or next track

Or you can set MM5 to render to a Sonos zone.
I can play local tracks from the normal local nodes OK. ... art work shows on Sonos controller ... you can pause|restart using either MM or Sonos controller ... you can't skip tracks using a Sonos controller, but you have full control and visibility from MM5 ... you can move the music from room to room, or extend to multiple rooms using a Sonos controller
I don't have Amazon's streaming service.
But using MM5 I can play from EntireLibray>Location>GooglePlayMusic to a Sonos zone, but I can only play tracks which I uploaded to Google's servers, and have sync'd to MM5 ... ie. I can't play Google tracks which are indexed by MM5, which are Google's tracks, ie. I didn't upload them to Google.
If I try to play a google-only track, I can cause the Sonos zone to stop|start playing via MM5, but it plays whatever Sonos was last pointed at, not the Google-only track I am trying to play.

And when it is playing a track I uploaded to Google, and I am playing from EntireLibray>Location>GooglePlayMusic, I do not really know whether MM5 is streaming to Sonos from my GPM library, or whether it is sending my local copy of that track.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:33 am You have Sonos Settings|Advanced set to allow Control From Other Devices?
I don't have any issues streaming from MM5 (PC) to SonosPlay one besides some firewall issues which I solve by deactivating it before streamin. It's just testing right now, however, this works so far. I can even control MM5 from my Android device running Sonos app.

However, since MM5 finds my Sonos Play 1 and lists them under Devices&Service I though I could stream *from* Sonos to MM5. This was my initial question above.
(I cannot upload any images here without using a 3rd party website - that's pretty unfortune!)

If I double click one of my Play 1 I see some folder like Queues, Save Queues, Music Shares and others. I can open those folders including Favorites&Presets which gives me all of my preferred radio stations.

Now when double clicking one of those items I thought I could stream **from** Play1 to MM5 and listen to this radio station. But this does not work! I can see the radio station's picture in MM5 which means for me I'm connected to Sonos, but unfortunately no sound.
Hence I was asking if anybody did get this running so far.

cu,
Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tried other way around eg. play Radio in MM5 and stream it to Sonos?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Zonky wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am But this does not work! I can see the radio station's picture in MM5 which means for me I'm connected to Sonos, but unfortunately no sound.
Could you generate debug log to see which URI is served by Sonos for the radio station? It seems that URI isn't playable by MM5 for some reason, to be verified whether it is easily fixable or not. I don't have Sonos so need to see the debug log (item 4b here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 )