Switching From MediaMonkey 4 To 5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: Switching From MediaMonkey 4 To 5

Post by Ludek »

If you already installed MM5 before MM4 then it won't ask.

MM5 will ask you again to import MM4 data once you delete your C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\ folder (or if you installed MM5 as portable then the Portable folder inside the MM install folder).
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

On my new PC, I first install MM4 and then MM5.

This is what happens when I install MM5
- MM5 makes a new directory AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5 and puts a copy of the MM4 database in it
- MM5 also puts a new, empty MM5.DB in AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey (the MM4 directory !!)
- MM5 then seems to use the MM5 DB in the MM4 directory, and seems to ignore the copied MM4 DB

So there are a few problems
- it's fine that MM5 copies the MM4 files and puts them in a new MM5 directory
- MM5 should not make changes to the MM4 directory, and certainly not put an MM5.DB there
- and of course, MM5 should do something with the copied MM4 DB and use the correct DB in the correct folder

I have done a couple of reinstalls but this is what happens consistently.
Maybe I can solve it by using /inifile (haven’t tried) but this should’t happen in the first place.

If I then delete the MM5 folder and restart MM5 (as you suggested), MM5 does indeed ask if I want to use the MM4 data. If I say yes, I end up with the same result.

Let me know if you want me to try something.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

It helps if I run MM5 as admin. Then MM5 does find and convert the DB. It is still put in the MM4 directory however.
Then I can manually correct to folder of the DB and update the .ini file.

I think this could be made a bit more user friendly.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Delete Mediamonkey.ini and MM5.DB from C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\ then copy C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB -> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\MM5.DB and start MediaMonkey while declining import Settings and Library.

It should not create C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM5.DB like you observed before. I tried several times and have not being able to replicate your behavior.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

willyvds wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:53 pm I think this could be made a bit more user friendly.
I agree 100% with this understatement.

Forgive the sketchy drawing, but it needs something like this in the install program.

So we could decide whether to import settings and|or db data, and we had visibility and control over where we were importing from.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

I think I know why MM5 puts the MM5 ini file in the MM5 folder and the MM5 database in the MM4 folder.
I have multiple instances of MM4, so all .ini files have a line to specify the DB location, also in case this is the default folder.

When installing MM5, MM5 makes an MM5 folder and puts the MM5 .ini file there (copy of the MM4 .ini file).
The location of the MM5 DB is as specified in the copied MM4 .ini file.

This makes sense but is also confusing at the same time.

So I agree with the previous post: if there is an MM4 installation, the MM5 install process should allow for some options.
In addition to the previous post, MM5 should also ask where to put the MM5 .ini file and the MM5 DB: default location or to be specified.

By the way: I have solved the problems, MM5 works fine and everything is in it's right place.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thx for update.

@Barry4679
I raised this with rest of devs for another review/revision.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm @Barry4679
I raised this with rest of devs for another review/revision.
Any update?

I noticed a new situation today.
Ludek wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:39 pm MM5 will ask you again to import MM4 data once you delete your C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\ folder (or if you installed MM5 as portable then the Portable folder inside the MM install folder).
The above advice is nice and simple, but it doesn't seem to cover all cases in the way that the user may assume.

I did as above ... I accepted MM5 offer to import data and settings from MM5 ===> I noticed that the new MM5 database contained tracks not found in my MM4 database.

I think this is triggered in a situation where the MM4 db is in a custom location, and that custom location already contains a previous MM5 database.

I looked at the debug log ... MM5 found my MM4 in the custom location OK ... it wants to build the MM5 db in that custom location also, but since there already was a MM5.db, it added to it, rather than creating a fresh db.

I think that the situation would be improved if there was a dbox in this case, asking whether I want to add to the existing db, or build a new one.

The current situation is confusing. I spent some time trying locate some other MM4 db that it may be importing from, which was my initial assumption.

[Update] fixed typo ... I typed MM4.db, but meant MM5.db
Last edited by Barry4679 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dzjang

Post by dzjang »

I have the same experience (I think).

MM4 and MM5 are installed (both non-portable).

Every time I install a new version of MM5, a new MM5.DB is created in the other directory where MM.DB (MM4) resides. The existing MM5.DB is not upgraded.

Paths for MM.DB and MM5.DB both look well defined in both ini-files.

Initial situation MM4:

Initial situation MM5:

Install MM5:

Wrong impact in directory where MM.DB resides:

No impact (what also wrong is) in directory where MM5.DB resides:

Impact MM5 INI-file

DBName=D:\OneDrive\Documenten\Mijn Databanken\MediaMonkey 5\MM5.DB

is changed to:

DBName=D:\OneDrive\Documenten\Mijn Databanken\MediaMonkey 4\MM5.DB