[SOLVED] 2191 - the "related artists" feature, from My Library, shows invalid results

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey 5 and learn about the newest builds.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

[SOLVED] 2191 - the "related artists" feature, from My Library, shows invalid results

Post by Barry4679 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:49 am

This is a display of My Library (ie. not the "Online" tab) ... so I presume that it is showing relationships found in my database ... correct ?

I don't see any relationships between Adele and Maroon 5 in my database ... nor any Adele relationships with neither The Beatles, nor Lady Gaga

I only have 1 Maroon 5 track ... it is on a box set called Chimes of Freedom ... it is on cd 4 of that box set
Adele has a track on cd 2 of that box set
  • there is no link up between Adele and Maroon 5, just because they are both in a Various Artists box set
  • but the box set has about 60 tracks ... all different artists ... why link up just Adele and Maroon 5
I have 41 Lady Gaga tracks ... none of them have any links with Adele that I can see ... they don't even have any box sets in common

I see no link between Adele and The Beatles in my db either

I can send my MM5 db if it helps
Last edited by Barry4679 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiPi

Re: 2191 - the "related artists" feature, from My Library, shows invalid results

Post by MiPi » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:17 am

No, relation of artists is computed from online sources, My Library tab displays these related artists filtered by artists included in your Library. It is not simple algorithm and I am not its author, so hard to say exactly all reasons for these relations, it takes more things into consideration. In this case I guess the relation could be caused e.g. by two shared genres on Wikipedia - both Adele and Maroon 5 include "Pop" and "blue-eyed soul". And relation Adele to Beatles could be caused by shared genre Pop and two mentions of Beatles on Wikipage of Adele.

Barry4679

Re: 2191 - the "related artists" feature, from My Library, shows invalid results

Post by Barry4679 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:41 am

Thanks for info MiPi. ... I suppose it is all a bit of fun.

It does come up with some screwy relationships. Like who knew Aphex Twin was related to both U2 and Kylie Minogue?

And that while Brian Eno is not related to Roxy Music, he is related to Kylie Minogue also? ... and I only have 1 single Kylie Minogue track ... honest :)

The thing that I would really have liked to see was ratings from some online database here on the the "Online" tab.