Mobile sync repeatedly adding playcounts

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

1337haXXor

Mobile sync repeatedly adding playcounts

Post by 1337haXXor »

Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I have it set to sync the library to the phone and delete anything else, but I have it set to sync playcounts back to my library. I listen to an album on my phone, then sync it to my library and it adds the playcount as expected. But if I sync again later, it will add another playcount to that album. My guess is wherever the local information is stored on the phone for playcounts, it's not resetting upon sync.

Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it will even do it, not do it for the next sync, then do it again.

I'll keep trying to narrow down specific cases in which it happens and doesn't. But one thing I noticed is that more often if I sync, then sync again without listening to anything on my phone (I've listened on my computer or made updates to playlists I'd like to update on the mobile), it will more often have the bug of adding the same playcounts again.
Ludek

Re: Mobile sync repeatedly adding playcounts

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
which mobile? iPhone or Android ? Wi-Fi sync or USB sync?
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

Wi-Fi sync, Android. Pro version, on the beta release. Though this issue never occurred on MM4, so I suspect it's related to the Windows client versus Android.
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

Okay, a bit more info. I've had NO issues syncing anything else (playlists, adding/deleting music), but I've discovered something else. I had listened to 78 songs over the course of 3 days, all on one playlist. I just did a sync now and it did not show any changed playcounts. However, when I closed the program (which errored out then crashed before I could screen capture the error or submit) and force closed it from the Task Manager. When I reopened it, it DID show the updated playcounts.

So then I proceeded to immediately sync again. It added the playcounts AGAIN, but this time I saw them increase as normal. So I had to subtract one from each song.

Then I immediately synced AGAIN, and this time it decided to redownload 18 of the songs (2 albums by one artist) for some reason. I did change their playcounts, but I did that for all 78 songs, so I'm not sure why the sync redownloaded them.

After this, all subsequent syncs resulted in the "Everything is in Sync" dialogue and no seeming changes.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I have your crash log here (ID: 875BE475) from Sat Nov 02, build 5.0.0.2201
Any reason why you are using 5.0.0.2201 ? It is more than two months old build !!

In the log I see that you closed application while it was in the process of updating metadata from MMA > MM5.

Code: Select all

24541.500s - PID:11592 - MM5 [11588](R) TAndroidDBHandler.SyncBackField:_Field:_last_time_played, OldValue = 2019-10-18 10:37:02, NewValue = 2019-10-30 18:30:23
TAndroidDBHandler.SyncBackField:_Field:_playcount, OldValue = 4, NewValue = 5
But the updating was incredibly slow on your machine for some reason, namely the changing notification events were too slow. Do you use a third party code/addons?
I'll try to optimize it for the next build (though it might be related to the fact that you are using the outdated build 2201)
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

Sorry, I've updated since. No 3rd party addons or anything, but I stated in my other thread (I think you were on that one? Sorry for repeating, if so), that the drive is quite old and not that great. Could the drive operating slowly be causing the errors here?

I do occasionally shut down during syncing, but only when the program crashes..

I'll be doing another sync much later tonight, I'll do some testing and return with the results.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, just please be sure that you are testing the newest public build (2211) and not 2209 -- as I have done some optimizations in 2211 with regard to this issue.
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

Oh, new build, nice! I'll do my sync on the newest one.

EDIT: Nice, that went very well! Added all the plays instantly, instead of watching each track's playcount go up individually (which was typically snappy but sometimes super slow). And when I immediately synced again and did it again after restarting both the Windows and Android version, there were no extraneous playcounts added!

The only tiny thing I noticed is at the end of the sync when it shows "X Playlists updated," "X songs downloaded," etc., it only said a few tracks were "updated," when this originally counted all tracks with updated playcounts. But that's just a tiny thing to note.

Did you remove/change the "animation" of adding plays? I'm wondering if on my machine that's what was causing the hangup, and when there were many to update, it wasn't "finishing," causing the playcount update to occur again the next time I did a sync.