Excluding video files from device sync

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Excluding video files from device sync

Post by tbm72 »

I want MMA to completely exclude anything to do with video files (just completely ignore them and don't sync to my phone) so in the portable device sync options of MM I've made sure to untick video and only select my music files under 'Auto-sync (->Device)'. But I'm having 2 issues:

1) In the portable device sync tab of MM, under 'Tools/Options/Portable Device Sync/Options/File Locations/Other media files' I untick 'video' but this keeps on coming back ticked each time I restart MM (see screenshot here https://ibb.co/k4bXk7D).

2) Whatever I do I can't stop MM from creating a Video folder on my device's SD card (including 3 sub folders of TV/Podcasts/Music Video) which are all empty. I make sure Video is unticked in step 1 above and also delete the folders from my device but they keep coming back!

Have I missed something or is there an easy way to completely exclude video content from device syncing?
Ludek

Re: Excluding video files from device sync

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
I suppose that you already completely exclude videos and no video video file is synced, right?

The reason for the issue 1&2 are the pre-configured sync masks for Video, Video podcasts and TV.

You can workaround it by changing the masks, i.e. instead of

Video Podcasts: [\Video\Podcasts\<Podcast>\<title> - <year>]
Video: [\Video\<title> - <year>]
TV: [\Video\TV\<Series>\<Episode#:2> - <title>]

use e.g.:

Video Podcasts: [\Music\Podcasts\<Podcast>\<title> - <year>]
Video: [\Music\<title> - <year>]
TV: [\Music\TV\<Series>\<Episode#:2> - <title>]

and this way 'Video' folder will no longer keeps getting created and monitored during sync.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

So if I change the masks as suggested it still creates empty folders but now within the Music folder. For example inside Music I now have empty folders such as Music/Podcasts, Music/TV etc.

I might as well just leave them where they are (outside of the Music folder to avoid confusion) or maybe even mask them all to a dummy folder on my phone just to keep them all in one place.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I had music by a band called 'Podcast' or 'TV' in the above situation?
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

I hope this is useful for you. It has been for me re auto-organize. Re leaving video files in place, the video collection rule that worked for me ended up being the simple entry ".\<Filename>". Please excuse that I have not tried it in a device sync context. :roll:

ITG
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

ITgreybeard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:19 pm I hope this is useful for you. It has been for me re auto-organize. Re leaving video files in place, the video collection rule that worked for me ended up being the simple entry ".\<Filename>". Please excuse that I have not tried it in a device sync context. :roll:

ITG
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It makes sense to just point to the root folder as you suggest, then if no files of those type are being synced it shouldn't create any unnecessary empty folders.
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

Of course you want to restrict that rule to videos only, so that the rest of your sync still works. :)
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

ITgreybeard wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:26 am Of course you want to restrict that rule to videos only, so that the rest of your sync still works. :)
Seems to be working well, thanks. Actually I've applied it to everything apart from "Music" (e.g. Podcasts, Audiobooks, TV etc) as I only want music on my phone :)

https://ibb.co/4Mvw3NH
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

Whew! I am sometimes reluctant to suggest an approach when I haven’t proven it to myself several times over in the same context. Congrats on getting it working as you needed.