Grid View/List (by Album)/Browser Filter - Issue when changing views [#16302]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

Grid View/List (by Album)/Browser Filter - Issue when changing views [#16302]

Post by Davo »

Steps
1. Using Browser filter/Grid view - select album (s) from the Browser filter
2. Change the Grid view to list (by Album) view

Result - Instead of displaying the selected album (s) in the Album list view, MM loads about 50k+ files into the main pane (List by Album) before it finally finds & displays the selected album (s) ? A very slow process.
David

Re: Grid View/List (by Album)/Browser Filter - Issue when changing views

Post by Davo »

In addition to the above i also question the need to change the view to open the album(s) when you are in the Artist, Composer, Conductor sub node. After all, the album(s) has already been selected in the Browser filter, Why then not have it opened automatically in the List (by Album) view?
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi David,

Davo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:24 pm Result - Instead of displaying the selected album (s) in the Album list view, MM loads about 50k+ files into the main pane (List by Album) before it finally finds & displays the selected album (s) ? A very slow process.
I doubt that it loads all of the tracks into the grid, but I see what you are reporting. My PC is relatively quick, so the transition isn't so slow, but it is distracting and looks crappy.

I think that it is part of the half-done nature of the Column Browser. It was a late addition to the MM5 beta; they weren't initially going to migrate it from MM4. .. Its integration into the MM5 UI still needs some work IMO. ... I have another thread on Column Browser issues; one which they have studiously ignored for three weeks, and counting. Thinking about your post has given me some more points to make there.

In this case they should apply the Column Browser before they display the View that you have switched to.
Davo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:47 pm In addition to the above i also question the need to change the view to open the album(s) when you are in the Artist, Composer, Conductor sub node. After all, the album(s) has already been selected in the Browser filter, Why then not have it opened automatically in the List (by Album) view?
After all, the album(s) has already been selected in the Browser filter, Why then not have it opened automatically in the List (by Album) view?
It took a while for to decode this :)
But I think that I understand.

I am not necessarily defending the UI, but I think that things will improve for you if you rethink what a sub-node is.

If you want to see albums, you should be in the Albums sub-node.

You are using the Column Browser, so any sub-node may be sorted or filtered by any tag ... ie. you don't need to be in Composer node, if you want to sort and filter by Composer ... you only need to arrange the Column Browser, so that the Composer is one of the left-most columns.

Davo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:47 pm After all, the album(s) has already been selected in the Browser filter, Why then not have it opened automatically in the List (by Album) view?
The album has not been "selected" in the way that it was in MM4 Media Tree, where a "selection" really means that it has been "navigated to" ... a "selection" in the Column Browser is just a filter ... so if you are in the Composers node, the filter has just given you the filtered list of Composers who are associated with the chosen album.

The point being, that if you were in the Albums node, you would be filtering to, and seeing, albums.

That's how things work at the moment ... in other threads, and in public Mantis reports, they are considering adding a new view mode; Album Grid. .... I think that would be a most excellent idea ... at the moment MM5, and MM4, has a serious shortcoming IMO ... ie. it mostly just track focused, and doesn't do enough to cater for album focused customers.

I am assuming that this would, using your example, mean that the Composer sub-node would have both Composers Grid, and also Album Grid, View modes.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

so if you are in the Composers node, the filter has just given you the filtered list of Composers who are associated with the chosen album.
I should clarify - I am not 'choosing' an album. The album is the result of the filtering. My Browser Filter columns are L to R : Genre - Composer - Conductor - Artist - Album. and i use this for all sub nodes.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:14 am
so if you are in the Composers node, the filter has just given you the filtered list of Composers who are associated with the chosen album.
I should clarify - I am not 'choosing' an album. The album is the result of the filtering. My Browser Filter columns are L to R : Genre - Composer - Conductor - Artist - Album. and i use this for all sub nodes.
Yes, I understood that ... but I don't understand what you are saying now.

You have filtered to something, using your hierarchical filter ... and it is showing you one or more composers, because you are in the Composer sub-node.
If you had done the same thing in Albums sub-node, it would have shown you qualifying albums ... which is what you appear to be wanting.

And if they added the "Album Grid" view to MM5, that they are talking of, you would have been able to see the album view in either the Albums, or the Composers, sub-nodes.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

The current grid views for the sub nodes seem logical to me. Composer sub node has a Composer grid etc. i don't think I need an Album Grid view in the Composer sub node. If i wanted an Album grid view i'd just go to the Album sub node.

My issue is with the Browser filter and how it treats the end result when you are in a sub node. At the moment if the end result is an album & you are at the Collection level or Album sub node then the album appears in the main pane & you can open it to view the tracks. However in any other sub node you must change the view to List (byAlbum) & then (after it spends ages loading files) it presents the selected album in the main pane.

After spending time on this I've decided that the sub nodes are of limited use to me and i can quickly get the info i need using the Browser Filter at the Library level using either the Grid View or List by Album. As you explained the Browser Filter is quite powerful & flexble & I can see why you prefer it to a Media Tree
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Good. We on the same page.
Davo wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:50 ami don't think I need an Album Grid view in the Composer sub node. If i wanted an Album grid view i'd just go to the Album sub node.
Yes, you could do that. ... and ATM you would lose any filter setting from your Column Browser, if you switched to Album sun-node, from another other sub-node in the same collection. ... a change of View (shouldn't) do that.

Maybe it is just me; I am very album focused ... every sub-node has List View, which is track focused. I would appreciate it if every sub-node also had an Album Grid view.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Maybe it is just me; I am very album focused ... every sub-node has List View, which is track focused. I would appreciate it if every sub-node also had an Album Grid view.
I'm also album focused & never use the list view. If i'm in the Conductor sub node & i select (single left click) a conductor it then opens an Album Grid view of all the albums associated with that Conductor. So doesn't that provide the Album grid your looking for?

I've also just noticed that if i select the conductor with (double left click) the albums associated with that conductor open in the List (by Album view)
David

Post by rusty »

fyi, I've added the filter recalculation issue at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16302

Thanks!

-Rusty