MM5 Media Sharing via HEOS

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey 5 and learn about the newest builds.

Moderator: Gurus

TheEmpathicEar

MM5 Media Sharing via HEOS

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Marantz NR1509 Audio Receiver with HEOS [that supports DLNA], MM5 Build 2255, running on Powerspec G705 desktop, MMA running on Galaxy A51, Android 10. In MM5 under Devices and Services, I right-clicked on Marantz NR1509 and chose Configure Remote Access. This failed the first time, but the popup reminded me that I had to configure the server IP address to a specific port for port forwarding. The next time I chose Configure Remote Access it was successful. On MMA, I used the HEOS app and chose the monkey media server running via MM5. I am able to access the music on the server and browse the music library, and play music. I don't claim to understand everything. There are two popups that appear in MM5. When I select the monkey media server in MMA and another when I start accessing/playing music. i.e. I have be sitting at my desktop when using the HEOS app on my phone. Is there a way to configure MM5 [if this is the issue] to eliminate these prompts/popups? It seems to happen after exiting and restarting MM5.
EDIT: In effect, using the HEOS app on my phone allows remote access to the server and the receiver for playback?
Last edited by TheEmpathicEar on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: MM5 Media Sharing via HEOS

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Each time device access MM server it asks for confirmation and it should remember settings in MM server settings (Tools -> Options -> Media Sharing you can find your Marantz and enable checkmark if not enabled already. That should eliminate any future prompts, same goes for MMA.

Just make sure you are using latest MM5 version from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Peke wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:04 pm Hi,
Each time device access MM server it asks for confirmation and it should remember settings in MM server settings (Tools -> Options -> Media Sharing you can find your Marantz and enable checkmark if not enabled already. That should eliminate any future prompts, same goes for MMA.

Just make sure you are using latest MM5 version from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
Yes. It is enabled. The first prompt in MM5 happens after selecting the Media Monkey library in the HEOS app. It happens when you select, "Artist", for example. This prompt is about accessing the library and happens every time you do this. The next prompt happens when you start playback and also about accessing the library and happens every time you do this. The best way to test this is to close MM5. Reboot. Restart MM5. Starting over, you now get the same two prompts. Is this about port forwarding for the phone or established a reserved IP address for the phone?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, it's about the Clients tab under Tools > Options > Media Sharing as Peke mentioned. Have you tried with Share automatically with all new devices enabled? This latter worked for me when after I removed the devices and tried to use them.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 pm No, it's about the Clients tab under Tools > Options > Media Sharing as Peke mentioned. Have you tried with Share automatically with all new devices enabled? This latter worked for me when after I removed the devices and tried to use them.
Tools -> Options -> Media Sharing and in the server list, highlight MediaMonkey Library. Now, the options button is selectable. Now you can see the clients, two IP addresses - one for the phone and one for the receiver. Check both and OK. Thx.
Now, if we look back to https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 26&t=96744, we realize that the receiver supports DLNA. It would be nice to use MMA somehow to play music on the receiver via WiFi as HEOS does. The UPnP button can now access the MediaMonkey Library. Hmm...
EDIT: The HEOS app, as far as I can tell, does not allow sorting by album date either.
mcow

Post by mcow »

TheEmpatheticEar, thanks for mentioning that HEOS support DLNA. I am looking hungrily at Marantz's ND8006, but I hadn't dug into the HEOS capabilities yet.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

mcow wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:59 pm TheEmpatheticEar, thanks for mentioning that HEOS support DLNA. I am looking hungrily at Marantz's ND8006, but I hadn't dug into the HEOS capabilities yet.
If you starting using the app, let me know what you think? For example, I noticed right away that you can not sort albums by date.
mcow

Post by mcow »

Well, first I have to convince my wife that a $1200 hardware outlay is OK.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

TheEmpathicEar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 am Marantz NR1509 Audio Receiver with HEOS [that supports DLNA], MM5 Build 2255, running on Powerspec G705 desktop, MMA running on Galaxy A51, Android 10. In MM5 under Devices and Services, I right-clicked on Marantz NR1509 and chose Configure Remote Access. This failed the first time, but the popup reminded me that I had to configure the server IP address to a specific port for port forwarding. The next time I chose Configure Remote Access it was successful. On MMA, I used the HEOS app and chose the monkey media server running via MM5. I am able to access the music on the server and browse the music library, and play music. I don't claim to understand everything. There are two popups that appear in MM5. When I select the monkey media server in MMA and another when I start accessing/playing music. i.e. I have be sitting at my desktop when using the HEOS app on my phone. Is there a way to configure MM5 [if this is the issue] to eliminate these prompts/popups? It seems to happen after exiting and restarting MM5.
EDIT: In effect, using the HEOS app on my phone allows remote access to the server and the receiver for playback?
I just checked the Port Forwarding in my Xfinity xFi internet settings. The port that was suggested in the popup I mentioned above, apparently, I used for the receiver and not the server - AKA - my desktop PC. I checked this because I got a Threat notice from Xfinity xFi earlier today. They blocked an external "Unauthorized Access Attempt" from an IP address supposedly from Germany. This is how I realized that i used that port for the receiver and not the server. xFinity telephone support could not "see" what I was seeing. So, they had me do a screen grab of the notice and email it to abuse@comcast.net. If anyone has any insight to any of this, I would love to hear it. Prior to this, I had never used Port Forwarding for the receiver.
EDIT: I just got another notice from xFinity xFi 6/14 10:47p [last night]. Wish I knew if this is because of the port I opened?
TheEmpathicEar

MM5 needs Port Forwarding for Receiver?

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Marantz NR1509 Audio Receiver with HEOS [that supports DLNA], MM5 Build 2255, running on Powerspec G705 desktop, MMA running on Galaxy A51, Android 10. In MM5 under Devices and Services, I right-clicked on Marantz NR1509 and chose Configure Remote Access. This failed the first time, but the popup reminded me that I had to configure the server IP address to a specific port for port forwarding. The next time I chose Configure Remote Access it was successful.
I wanted to know if there is another way to give MM5 remote access to my receiver other than port forwarding? There is an issue with my receiver checking for firmware. With port forwarding enabled for the receiver and Xfinity's "Advanced Security" enabled, external access is blocked. I would have to disable "Advanced Security" [which takes about 10 minutes according to them] and/or remove the port forwarding to check for firmware updates. It was auto-update enabled in the receiver that was triggering "Unauthorized Access Attempts" from Xfinity.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's something MediaMonkey is not involved in. You'll check with Marantz on how to get firmware updates working on the device.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:30 pm That's something MediaMonkey is not involved in. You'll check with Marantz on how to get firmware updates working on the device.
I was focused on whether or not it's possible to give MM5 access to the receiver without using port forwarding? Make sense? Forget about Marantz. Sorry for muddying the water. It could be any receiver [or other devices].
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Port forwarding on the router is generally setup for outside access (from internet) to a device on your network. DLNA (Media Sharing) works within your home network thus shouldn't require port forwarding on the router.

It may be helpful to see a screenshot of the message you're having trouble with.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:02 pm Port forwarding on the router is generally setup for outside access (from internet) to a device on your network. DLNA (Media Sharing) works within your home network thus shouldn't require port forwarding on the router.

It may be helpful to see a screenshot of the message you're having trouble with.
Thx, I removed the Port Forwarding for the receiver. And, I can still connect, using the HEOS app as I did before. Why do you think that MM5 suggested Port Forwarding for the receiver in the first place? Is it because I had not done this:
Tools -> Options -> Media Sharing and in the server list, highlight MediaMonkey Library. Now, the options button is selectable. Now you can see the clients, two IP addresses - one for the phone and one for the receiver
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not sure what the message said, so I don't know what was really suggested. MediaMonkey does ask if you want a device to connect to MediaMonkey.