MM5 Not exporting empty playlists

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey 5 and learn about the newest builds.

Moderator: Gurus

MikeGahrns

MM5 Not exporting empty playlists

Post by MikeGahrns »

To Repro:
From the Playlists root, right click, select Export All Playlists

Result:
.m3u files are created only for playlists that have songs in them.

Expected:
At a minimum, I would expect a .m3u file matching the playlist name to be created for each playlist. If the playlist has no songs in it, the .m3u file would be empty. This would match MM4 behavior.

Empty playlists can be useful to help with organization if you have a lot of playlists, and want to make comments, reminders, etc that you keep in the playlist name. (Ideally it would be nice to have a playlist description field to allow for this, and I believe you have a logged a bug to consider adding descriptions in a future release).

Ideally:
Why not upon export, create a directory for a playlist that did not have any songs in it, and then an .m3u file for playlists that had songs in it. This way playlist hierarchy could be easily preserved on an Export all.
e.g.
Playlists
Workout Mixes
WorkOut 1
WorkOut 2
Dance Mixes
Dance 1
Dance 2

Upon Export All, in the file system this would map to a directory called Workout Mixes, with .M3U files "WorkOut 1.M3U" and "Work Out 2.M3U" in it, and directory called Dance Mixes with .M3U files "Dance 1.M3U" and "Dance 2.M3U"
MiPi

Re: MM5 Not exporting empty playlists

Post by MiPi »

MikeGahrns wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:25 pm To Repro:
From the Playlists root, right click, select Export All Playlists

Result:
.m3u files are created only for playlists that have songs in them.

Expected:
At a minimum, I would expect a .m3u file matching the playlist name to be created for each playlist. If the playlist has no songs in it, the .m3u file would be empty. This would match MM4 behavior.
But this script in MM4 does not export empty playlists too. Or am I missing something?
Anyway exporting also empty playlists probably makes sense, will be fixed in the next release.
MikeGahrns

Re: MM5 Not exporting empty playlists

Post by MikeGahrns »

Weird. In MM4 Tools, Scripts, Export All Playlists ... exports empty playlists for me.

But I did look at other add-on scripts to help manage playlists, so perhaps they did something here.

Anyways, glad to see it added. Thanks!