Location & Folder query & feature request

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey 5 and learn about the newest builds.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

Location & Folder query & feature request

Post by Davo »

I don't fully understand the purpose of having both Location & Folder nodes.
What is the difference between the two?

My music is stored in structured directories including sub folders for album art & other album/artist info. MM5 displays the sub folder in the Folder node but does not display the contents. (i assume because their are no tracks in the sub folder)

Request - For reference & editing purposes what i would really like is to be able to open the Windows explorer folder (including sub folders) In Foobar this is called 'open containing folder'
David

Re: Location & Folder query & feature request

Post by Lowlander »

Location provides folder structure access for files in the Library. Folder (My Computer pre MediaMonkey 5) provides folder structure access to all supported media files even when they're not in the MediaMonkey Library.

Use right click, Find More from Same > Folder (Explorer).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Davo

Post by Davo »

Ok - Although i still don't understand why you need a "Location" node. Is it for people who don't tag their music?
Re Folder node as i indicated - "MM5 displays the sub folder in the Folder node but does not display the contents" even though it contains jpg's which are legitimate media files.
This leads to my request which you did not respond to.
David

Post by Lowlander »

I use Location all the time, others use Folders a lot.

MediaMonkey doesn't support images (just as Artwork for Audio/Video files), but not by themselves.

Which request?
Lowlander wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 amUse right click, Find More from Same > Folder (Explorer).
solves
Davo wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 amable to open the Windows explorer folder (including sub folders)
Davo

Post by Davo »

I know people use them. i'd like to understand why. Ie For what purpose do you use them.?
[Request - For reference & editing purposes what i would really like is to be able to open the Windows explorer folder (including sub folders).......'/quote]

This way i can easily access all the media, incl Photos, Documents, that i keep in a sub folder of the artist folder which has the album tracks. I can do this in Foobar with a context menu selection called 'open containing folder'
David

Post by Lowlander »

For folder based navigation. I use it to work with newly added files that need to go through the tagging process. With a small amount of files and a well organized structure it works faster for me that way.

Many users are used to File Explorer to navigate files and find that useful. Location/Folders replicates that experience.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:02 pm I know people use them. i'd like to understand why. Ie For what purpose do you use them.?
I am like Lowlander, but with a small twist.

When I get new music, either I download it, or I rip it.
Either way, MM doesn't know about it, because I strongly dislike the MM ripper, so I use an independent tool.

The new album is visible in the Folder node, but not yet visible in the Location node.
So using Folder node, I get to tidy tags, and audition it ... If I like it enough, I add it into my collection.

Music downloads available from the labels can be tagged horribly ... eg. Deutsche Grammophon have lots og good music (of course :D ) but they don't seem to care about it too much about it, because their tags can be very messy, or sometimes in German.

My work flow helps avoid tracks like that getting into my collection without being tidied up.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Davo wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:02 pm I know people use them. i'd like to understand why. Ie For what purpose do you use them.?
To set an external drive as a Sync target using right click menu.
Ian Taylor
MM4W 4.1.29.1914 (Portable 26Dec2020) on Windows 10 v20H2 Build 19042.630
Music library of 31,000+ files backed up to OneDrive
MMA 1.4.0.0937 on Sony Xperia XZ with Android 8 & ~12,000 Tracks
MMA 1.4.0.0937 on Samsung Tab S5e with Android 9 & ~12,000 Tracks
MMA 1.4.0.0937 on Samsung Galaxy Tab A with Android 10 & ~ 12,000 Tracks
MMA 1.4.0.0937 on Samsung Galaxy A20e with Android 10 & ~12,000 Tracks
Android Devices synchronised with MM4W using USB
Trying MM5W 5.0.0.2293 (Portable 10Jan2021) on same Windows 10 sharing same media files (but separate library!)
Davo

Post by Davo »

Thanks for the explanations.
@Barry - My workflow is similar to yours except i do all my editing in Foobar before adding to MM5.

None of the responses have addressed my original request so i am restating it.
Request - After selecting an album in MM5 the facility to then open the Windows explorer folder for that album (including sub folders)
This way i can easily access all the media, incl Photos, Documents that i need to edit the tags.
NB: I can do this in Foobar with a context menu selection called 'open containing folder'
David

Post by Lowlander »

Davo wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:29 pmAfter selecting an album in MM5 the facility to then open the Windows explorer folder for that album (including sub folders)
Was answered twice already.
Lowlander wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 am Use right click, Find More from Same > Folder (Explorer).
Davo

Post by Davo »

@lowlander
My apologies & thank you for your patience.
What has been happening is that Windows explorer has been flashing on the taskbar but not opening. So not an MM issue.
David