Burning CD Function is Missing [#17807]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Snofru

Burning CD Function is Missing [#17807]

Post by Snofru »

In MM4 I select a number of songs, right click, select "send to" then "burn CD/DVD/BluRay" which I find very convenient.

In MM5.0.0.2170 I don´t see this function on right click, in fact I can´t find it at all. Is burning CDs taken out of MM5 completely or can I find it somewhere else? If it´s gone, will it come back?
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Peke

Re: Burning CD Function is Missing

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Burning is not implemented yet, due the some issues we are having on implementation.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

Will burning CDs ever be added back? Still not seeing this much needed functionality.
ronaldnztan

MediaMonkey 5 CD Burning Inquiry

Post by ronaldnztan »

Dear sir or ma'am,

Thank you for your time to read my message. I have been a long time basic user of MM and recently decided to show support by buying the Lifetime License and the Android Version. My question is, I read the "Differences" section of the MM5 wiki and unless I missed something, is it true that the final version of MM5 will no longer support CD burning?!?!

I currently tried the RC2 and the new look is amazing. I would be lying through my teeth if I was slightly disappointed if the "Differences" wiki page will reflect the final version of MM5.

Thank you kindly and I hope everyone is keeping safe by wearing masks and practicing physical distancing AND washing your hands frequently.

Best in health,

Ronald
Last edited by ronaldnztan on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ludek

Re: MediaMonkey 5 CD Burning Inquiry

Post by Ludek »

Hi Ronald,
yes, CD Burning is one of the tiny set of features that were deprecated and haven't been ported to MM5 (together with Virtual CDs & Previews)

- Virtual CD tracks are converted to standard library tracks during MM4 > MM5 database update
- Previews are imported, but can no longer be created in MM5
- CD burning wasn't ported, but you can still create a playlist of tracks to burn and import the playlist to MM4 for burning (as workaround)
ronaldnztan

Post by ronaldnztan »

Hi Ludek,

Darn. This is indeed a bummer considering the burning options being deprecated and taken out in MM5. When I downloaded the RC2. I immediately upgraded (bought) the Lifetime License. I wanted to test the burn options but couldn't find it. Then I thought, maybe it might be disabled because it's a "Release Candidate" and the function was temporarily disabled until the final version.

I bought the Lifetime License on the 17th January 2021. Is a request for refund out of the question? I really don't want to have MM4 **and** MM5 just so I could burn backup CDs for my car and etc. Even in 2021, I **still** buy CDs and create copies for car use. I abhor seeing scratches on the original CDs. Car CD players are notorious for causing scratches on the date side on insert/eject.

Anyway...thank you once again for the privilege of your time. I'm appreciate of the MM community and the forum here.

Ron
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ronaldnztan

Post by ronaldnztan »

I only found these information, when I couldn't find the "Burn" functionality of MM5 RC2. Additionally, I also found this entry in the forum: viewtopic.php?t=94305.

This was after I purchased the Lifetime License. I honestly thought that when I couldn't find the burning option in RC2, it was a temporary hidden feature. Because if it was allowed, no one would be buying the Gold/Lifetime license since someone could simply use the RC2 for free.

I had my definitive answer from Ludek regarding the fate of the burning to CDs in MM5 final version.
Lowlander wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:28 am Changes from MMW4 or listed here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 7s_New/5.0
rusty

Post by rusty »

We haven't prioritized this feature given the reduced number of users burning CDs in recent years with MM4.

If we hear enough feedback about the need for this feature, we'll increase the priority.

Thanks!

-Rusty
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would still hold on to your license unless you already applied for refund, you can always refer to this request if needed, but it is very likely that burning will be back in form of plugin due the fact that there is still some users use it.

NOTE: I was one of users that used extensively all three features in MM and would like to see them redesigned and back in MM.

to explain:
- Virtual CD Case 1 -> All my music is on NAS and I cached 10k+ to laptop when gone to vocation (I now use mobile phones/tablets that have 256GB+ of storage available and Sync deprecated Virtual CDs
- Virtual CD Case 2 -> I used Virtual CD for Caching Audio CDs to local drive so that I can create playlist from Various CDs and not need to insert each one to play or burn custom CDs for a Car stereo (that also do not apply anymore as I now have aftermarket full Android Infotainment Head Unit to which I sync music and ocassionally connect 1TB hdd for kids to watch movies during larger trips.
- Preview -> When I was working actively on local Radio station I have 100k+ of previews so that i can easily pre-listen them before I add them to Now Playing for the show I hosted. I have not worked for years and have already 7k+ of playlist created over last 15+ years to not have same need.
- Burning CDs Case 1 -> Only my youngest kids still uses CD-Player sometimes (it firstly got cassette player to know what it is), but year ago I gave an iPod Touch 4G and have BT speaker so only CDs taht are not yet on iPod are played, others are forgotten.
- Burning CDs Case 2 -> As I am also Custom PC builder and modder I have noticed that with introduction of Ultra thin Laptops they removed CD/DVD drive completely in 99% of devices and in past year due the case LED lighting it is very hard to Find PC case with 1x5.25" for putting BD/DVD drive in (cases with 2-3 are extreme rarity) and even in those cases when you explicitly search for such case usually that space is filled with FAN control of Card Reader. NOTE: I have Fully modified older Tower case that have 12x5.25" front slots and weights 12kg without components.
Best regards,
Peke
a_daley

Post by a_daley »

Yes please :D
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

Most people now use CD (DVD, Blu-Ray) burner externally connected by USB.
I sometimes burn CDs to play in the car (ok, I have an old car :wink: ) or when I am discussing music with a friend, or when I want to create a CD version as the original should have been (in my opinion, of course). I know that there are other options to burn a CD but nothing is as convenient like doing it in MMW.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Snofru wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:46 am Most people now use CD (DVD, Blu-Ray) burner externally connected by USB.
I have few made from Laptop Drives with 5 USD USB Cable adapter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBqQL9el2k
Snofru wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:46 am I sometimes burn CDs to play in the car (ok, I have an old car :wink: )
One I was talking about is from 2002, but recently (past 3 years) as a side hobby I do consulting and installing aftermarket Android infotainment HeadUnits.
Snofru wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:46 am or when I am discussing music with a friend, or when I want to create a CD version as the original should have been (in my opinion, of course). I know that there are other options to burn a CD but nothing is as convenient like doing it in MMW.
Even I agree, I simply do not see much point as BT/USB/SDcard -> FM transmitters are as <5 USD and works great in any car and depending on car model Stereos are no <30 USD and have USB built in, Head units also can be <100 USD in some cases. Most of those are easy DIY and few hours/beers away ;)

Also as Ludek said it is easy to Install MM4 portable (MM5 license is back compatible) and Drag and Drop MM5 Tracks to MM4 and Burn CDs.
Best regards,
Peke
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

Peke wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:27 pmAlso as Ludek said it is easy to Install MM4 portable (MM5 license is back compatible) and Drag and Drop MM5 Tracks to MM4 and Burn CDs.
OK, I checked this option and it is a viable one without too much effort to burn a CD now and then. So I don't want to distract you anymore from an alternative to RegEXP Find & Replace for MM5 and the development of MMA 2.0 :wink: ...
robinpersaud

Post by robinpersaud »

Yes, please!