USB DAC repeatedly ignored

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

mcow

USB DAC repeatedly ignored

Post by mcow »

I've been having problems getting MM5 to play reliably through my AudioEngine D1 USB DAC.

I have playback selected for Internal Player, which shows that it has the DAC selected. There is also a Chromecast Audio in the network.

The symptom is that when I Play, the sound goes to the computer speakers (also USB).

Here is a log of a session I just tried with 5.2302 (Windows 10). I just downloaded, installed, and opened the program with the DAC powered down. Then I started the log, powered up the DAC, and started playing. The first track went through the DAC and into the headphones; I thought maybe the problem had been fixed, and so I poked around in the UI some more. When the first track ended, the second track started playing through the computer speakers. I paused, saved the log, and started this topic.
Lowlander

Re: USB DAC repeatedly ignored

Post by Lowlander »

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ing_Output

What Audio Device do you have selected in MediaMonkey? I've been having issues too, but they're caused by Windows having issues staying connected to the USB DAC.
mcow

Post by mcow »

I answered your question in the original post.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I haev Focusrite Solo 3rd gen and Tascam US 2x2 and do not have such issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

mcow: I have analyzed the log and it shows, that original device was unplugged, so the output was reset to the default device. But the log is not complete, some messages are missing. Please could you try to catch it again and start DebugView before MM5? When started later, it sometimes omits some messages and could be misleading.
You could also try to test MMDS output plugin instead of WASAPI. But at first please try to generate full debug log, thank you.
mcow

Post by mcow »

Hello MiPi, I put up a new log as you requested.

What I did: started DebugView; started MM5; started playback of the track that was already in Now Playing. When it started, the sound came through the headphones; then, after just a few seconds, the audio dropped out, but the track scrubber still advanced. I stopped the track.
And then: I realized that DebugView was not actually capturing. Sorry, that could have been useful.

So I exited MM5, turned capture on, restarted MM5, and restarted the same track. This time, no sound through the headphones. I let it play for ten seconds, stopped the track, saved the log, and posted it.

After stopping, I looked at the settings for Internal Player, and the AudioEngine was the selected output device.

Possibly relevant: this Windows computer is quite old (2009) and struggles with keeping up with Windows 10 and modern software. It's possible that for instance there are timeouts in your software expecting a response that my computer cannot provide that fast. However, I am also using WinAmp on this same system and it has never dropped out. (Obviously, it also is much less capable.)
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

mcow: thank you, this log is complete. It shows, that there happened timeout when writing to output device, so app concluded, that device was unplugged or not working properly and switched to default. You could try to change WASAPI settings:
1) use shared mode instead of exclusive (uncheck "Exclusive" in WASAPI configuration)
2) increase minimal buffer sizes in WASAPI plugin configuration - Advanced - Pull mode
3) or try to use MMDS output plugin
mcow

Post by mcow »

This is a very late response, but thanks for those tips. I have disabled Exclusive and increased the buffer sizes and it has mostly been working much more smoothly. I did have one unrequested Stop during a transition to a new track, but restarting play picked it right back up.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you make Screen Shot of WASAPI settings here are mine, That work Flowlessly.
Based on User feedback adn DACs that I have tested with (10+ different devices) some device drivers do not work correctly in Event driven mode so PUSH work flawlessly.

Windows Sound Control Panel settings
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts