Volume suddenly 100% when next track is played [#17705]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MusicFanPeter

Volume suddenly 100% when next track is played [#17705]

Post by MusicFanPeter »

My audio output setting in MM5 is MediaMonkey WASAPI in exclusive mode as I need to play to my DragonFly which is connected to the USB port on my laptop. This setting allows me to hear my hi-res music as such, which is not possible when I select DirectSound.

I selected '44100 Hz, 2 channels, 24 bits' and previously 'use format of original track'. At both settings the volume changes from my normal sound level '2' to '100'. This change happens when the next track is played in the playing list.

It would be appreciated if this bug could be solved.

Keep up the good work!
I like MM5 a lot.
Lowlander

Re: Volume suddenly 100% when next track is played

Post by Lowlander »

Which build of MM5?
MusicFanPeter

Post by MusicFanPeter »

Thanks for the quick response.

It happens in build 5.0.0.2330
It also happend in 5.0.0.2329 in which build I for the first time used this WASAPI setting exclusive mode. Before I only used DirectSound.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Could you clarify if it changes the MediaMonkey volume or the system volume?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
MusicFanPeter

Post by MusicFanPeter »

The system volume is changed.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks! We tested this internally with a dragonfly, but haven't been able to replicate this yet.

Does the issue occur with all 'hi-res' tracks or only those with specific characteristics? Can you share one with us?
If you play the same set of tracks with another player via WASAPI drivers, do you observe a similar issue?

Lastly, do you also observe this issue with MediaMonkey 4 (just wondering if it's a regression or a long-standing bug)?

Thanks!

-Rusty
MusicFanPeter

Post by MusicFanPeter »

I also did some testing and it also occurs with none hi-res files. It certainly always happens after the first track change. I tried several tracks, all the same issue.

I do not have MM4 on my laptop anymore, but I also use Jriver with WASAPI. No problems with the same tracks.
I could share you a file if still needed.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

If you could share a video recording, that would be pretty helpful too!
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Personally as I described at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 705#c62646 if I want real bit perfect output (which exclusive mode is designed for) I would expected that Windows rise system volume to 100% eg. override any windows audio post processing and let output devices and/or actual output device (AMP, Active speakers, Headphones, TV [in case of HDMI is used as DAC] ...) handles volume levels.

As pointed only real question is should internal MM volume slider should affect output sound levels.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Post by Peke »

drakinite wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:43 pm If you could share a video recording, that would be pretty helpful too!
In my tests if MM and any other app is full exclusive modethen you should not be able to capture system audio along screen capture.
Best regards,
Peke
MusicFanPeter

Post by MusicFanPeter »

Peke wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:47 pm Hi,
Personally as I described at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 705#c62646 if I want real bit perfect output (which exclusive mode is designed for) I would expected that Windows rise system volume to 100% eg. override any windows audio post processing and let output devices and/or actual output device (AMP, Active speakers, Headphones, TV [in case of HDMI is used as DAC] ...) handles volume levels.

As pointed only real question is should internal MM volume slider should affect output sound levels.
In my opinion there at least should be a warning as the volume is suddenly set at 100, it blows your ears away with a headphone on. You will easily forget putting the slicer to low level when you switch from streaming with MM5 or listening to various programs on a laptop like Spotify and YouTube to internal MM5 output. I like the thought of MM volume slider affecting the output sound levels, which will make it safer to listen.
Peke

Re: Volume suddenly 100% when next track is played [#17705]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would suggest that you simply disable WASAPI Exclusive Mode. I've done Output Test and recorded 192/24 Output using Audacity on both Exclusive and non exclusive, windows output in sound card driver was set to 192/24 on Focusrite (Pic below) and difference in sound was 0.001-0.002% (THD+N), SNR was 109dB against 111dB in exclusive mode. Which makes me conclude that it is almost same as described here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... gen3.9101/

Using DAW Ableton Live 10 is different case when Keyboard input in WASAPI was 85ms against 45ms in exclusive mode against 27ms in ASIOv2 mode, but that absolutely do not affect playback quality. Only benefit of exclusive mode I see is DAW and Professional Gaming where you need 3D spatial surround in order to be faster in responses.

That said I would suggest that you simply just disable exclusive mode as based on my own experience using Focusrite solo 3rd gen and Audio Technica ATH-M70x headphones I can't hear any difference. I even disabled allowing Apps to take exclusive mode in order to prevent any sound cutoffs.
MusicFanPeter wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:14 amIn my opinion there at least should be a warning as the volume is suddenly set at 100, it blows your ears away with a headphone on.
Windows and Sound Card (DAC) driver controls this, there is no way for MM to tell what would happen when it asks Windows to open Exclusive Access tunneling :(
MusicFanPeter wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:14 amI like the thought of MM volume slider affecting the output sound levels, which will make it safer to listen.
If you disable Exclusive mode it will react and you will not have any issues of sudden volume changes.
Best regards,
Peke
MusicFanPeter

Post by MusicFanPeter »

Hi Peke,

I followed your suggestion. It works okay for me.
Thanks for the support.
Peke

Post by Peke »

MusicFanPeter wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 am I followed your suggestion. It works okay for me.
Thanks for the support.
It was my pleasure, you made me do additional quality tests that I have not done in years, but at least tests are updated, done and ready for MM5. So we now know MM5 sound output quality. To be honest I enjoyed doing those tests.
Best regards,
Peke
rusty

Post by rusty »

Fixed in build 2332 (see details at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17705 ).

-Rusty