[SOLVED] Popup dialogues hang randomly

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

robojock

[SOLVED] Popup dialogues hang randomly

Post by robojock »

Hi,

For some or other reason it happens randomly, I haven't figured how or when it happens but any popup dialogue ("editing tags", "insert", "cd rip" or even "about mm") once you "press ok" to close it will disappear as illustrated in the picture but in a way still be there and when that happens there is no way that you can do anything else in mm except ending task, restarting mm and then continue with whatever you were busy with. In some cases i noticed it even causes mm to just crash without warning. I can try capturing a debug log but it is very random which means the logs can get very big. Are there maybe any other tips that I can get on how to assist on solving this issue?

Lowlander

Re: Popup dialogues hang randomly

Post by Lowlander »

Which build of MediaMonkey (Help > About) and are you running Windows in a higher DPI or larger Text Size?
robojock

Post by robojock »

Hi Lowlander,

MM5 build 2330. Display is 1920x1200. Scale and layout is at 100%
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am on 1920x1200 (16:10) res and have not seen such freezes.

Is it possible that it happen on specific files or on specific use cases? Any way to trigger it, even in 5/5 times?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
robojock

Post by robojock »

Hi Peke,

It's very difficult to troubleshoot as it happens completely random. I could open the cd rip dialogue 10 times and the 11th time just press ok to start the ripping process and that will happen. Even just editing tags that can happen. Opening about > help and clicking ok could even trigger but its really difficult to say when or how it happens. I noticed anything that opens a seperate window is where it usually happens. I haven't noticed it with drop down boxes (file/edit/view etc.) Only the ones that open a window in the "center" of the screen. I don't know how else to trigger it other than just using mm5 until it happens. When it does happen I cannot click anywhere else on mm or use it until I end the task.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capturing this in a debug log (step 4b) would be valuable: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

I haven't seen this either.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I'm also unable to replicate, so a debug log (and crashlog ID if a crash occurs) would be great. May be related to https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17642

Thanks so much!

-Rusty
robojock

Post by robojock »

I will do a debug log every time I run mm until it happens. The problem is mm does work in the background (or so I think) it's the UI that doesn't respond, it's as if there is a popup window open which needs to be closed but you cannot close it as it is "invisible" and the only to way to work with mm again is to force close it. Through the night I left mm scanning my drives for music, somehow there was a notification that opened while scanning and became invisible and I cannot do anything in mm until I force close it. When I run task manager I can see there is CPU usage from mm indicating to me that it is still scanning.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks. fyi, if the bug is related to a hidden dialog, you can try using ALT-TAB to bring it to the foreground or ESC to close it. But that's just a workaround; we'd still like a debug log of the problem so that we can fix it.

-Rusty
robojock

Post by robojock »

No I have tried that, the "invisible" window stays on top, only way for now is to force close
robojock

Post by robojock »

Ok I have sort of figured out on how to get out of the problem without force closing when this problem happens. The dialogue is there but not 100% visible to the user and clicking on it does nothing, even guess clicking on where "cancel" / "ok" or "X" is, does not help. BUT you can drag that window around. If you drag that window down past the taskbar it starts to become visible again allowing me to either click "cancel" or "ok" or "X" . Here is a video of showing how I "fix it"
rusty

Post by rusty »

Wow... that's really quite strange. PLEASE send us a log + details if you happen to capture the issue as it occurs.

In the meantime we'll continue to try to replicate this.

Thanks!
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

I have reproduced this randomly few times during last year, but never consistently. I suspect it's a chromium rendering issue which we plan to address by updating to a newer version of chromium in MMW 5.0.1.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is this something that persists or has been resolved on build 2416?
robojock

Post by robojock »

Hi Lowlander,

I haven't noticed the issue from build 2412+ maybe the issue has been magical fixed or it was related to another issue which has been fixed :roll: Also mm5 feels faster compared older builds. My guess from the issues I was having with older builds was that mm5 had memory issue which was causing graphical problems and my machine only has onboard graphics card. Even though the machine has 16GB of memory. For now i am happy