[SOLVED] {FIXED IN 2338} MM5 5.0.0.2336 RC-8 White Screen On Startup

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

dypsis

[SOLVED] {FIXED IN 2338} MM5 5.0.0.2336 RC-8 White Screen On Startup

Post by dypsis »

I just installed MM5 5.0.0.2336 RC-8, and I can't get past a white screen.
It briefly flashes to the normal MediaMonkey screen, then it goes to a white screen and I have to end the tasks in Task Manager.

Edit: I just reverted back to 5.0.0.2333, and all is working OK again.
drakinite

Re: MM5 5.0.0.2336 RC-8 White Screen On Startup

Post by drakinite »

That's no good. Could you help us out and record a debug log when that occurs for you, so we can see what's causing it?
Last edited by drakinite on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
can you rename persistent.json and see if that fixes the issue? If yes can you send us renamed one for analyze?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Hi guys.

After reverting back to 5.0.0.2333, I just re-installed 5.0.0.2336, then ran MM5 as Administrator and it worked fine.
I then shut it down and ran MM5 normally and it still worked fine.

I don't know whether initially running it as Administrator made any difference or not, but it's working now.
Out of all the numerous versions that I've been testing over the months and years, this is the first time that it's happened to me.

I guess it's good news then. 😀
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

That's kinda interesting, because I'd experienced that same type of unresponsive white screen in previous builds of MM5, but not really recently.

I'm glad it's working for you again. :slight_smile:
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Yes, I am glad too.
You wouldn't expect a bad bug to be getting introduced this late in the game.
z3huti

Post by z3huti »

Same white screen on startup here with none debug version. Clean portable install.

And with debug version got error at first start.

Not gonna test MM anymore, coz I am not gonna use it anyway. IMO building MM next/around chromium was not a good idea.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Normal install - no problem.

Portable install - white screen until set to Run As Admin as per previous suggestion.
Ian Taylor
djasonpenney

Post by djasonpenney »

Confirming same issues with 5.0.0.2336. After running the COM elevator, the screen is white. Disabling the COM elevator makes the main window look better, but none of the buttons work, and Windows identifies the app is hung.

NON-portable install.

Debug version is better at identifying it's in trouble; debug logs have presumably been sent.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Thank you all for helping confirm the issue. Tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17770
z3huti wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 am Not gonna test MM anymore, coz I am not gonna use it anyway. IMO building MM next/around chromium was not a good idea.
I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience so far. It's true that some builds are hopelessly unstable, because sometimes when you fix one bug, another huge bug appears. Again, thank you all for helping catch these issues. Just remember that it's still in beta, and we're not claiming any builds as stable yet. I hope that you can change your mind about using MM5 in the near future, when we have stable builds.
sdunnin

Post by sdunnin »

Same issue for me with 2336. Installed as normal (non portable) and imported MM4 database. Briefly opens UI and after a couple of seconds reverts to white screen. Let me know if there is any additional info that I can send to help out.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Does it occur only *after* a "MediaMonkey COM elevator" prompt appears?
sdunnin

Post by sdunnin »

drakinite wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:48 pm Does it occur only *after* a "MediaMonkey COM elevator" prompt appears?
Yes, that appears to be the case. If I respond 'No' to the elevator the UI will load but is totally unresponsive. Responding 'Yes' leads to the white screen.
nauip

Post by nauip »

I've just done a new install of MM 5.0.0.2336 non-portable (the system has never seen MM, any version, before) and I get the white screen of blank-do-nothingness immediately upon launch. There is a brief moment where I see there is something to configure but it disappears so quickly. I think it's asking about configuring my library.

There is no elevate prompt as I have never notify enabled. So for fun I set it to default and I see the same if I click Yes or no window or an incomplete window when I click No.

On my Daily Driver PC that has gone through many, many versions of MM I do not see this.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for reporting, we posted 5.0.0.2337 RC-8 update today with the fix: viewtopic.php?p=480432#p480432