CD Burning in MM 5 - Please share your thoughts [#17807[

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Do you require CD burning in MediaMonkey 5 ?

Poll ended at Fri May 21, 2021 4:07 pm

Yes, I need to burn Audio CDs that play in any CD player.
17%
Yes, I need to burn MP3 CD/DVDs.
No votes
Yes, I need to burn both Audio CDs and MP3 CD/DVDs.
19%
No, I'd rather the MM team focus on other features.
64%

Total votes: 47

rusty

CD Burning in MM 5 - Please share your thoughts [#17807[

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Some of you have indicated that you really miss the CD Burning functionality of MediaMonkey 4. Here's a poll on this to help us prioritize. We'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

Note:
  • An Audio CD refers to a CD that can play on any CD player (usually limited to about 80 minutes).
  • An MP3 CD/DVD refers to a disc that stores music as mp3/ogg/wma files. They can save up to 5GB of music for playback on a limited number CD/DVD players that support this format. This usecase can often be satisfied by syncing content to an SD card or USB Key (which are also often supported by such devices).
Thanks!

-Rusty
Barry4679

Re: CD Burning in MM 5 - Please share your thoughts

Post by Barry4679 »

The poll doesn't have a neutral option for people who don't "need" ripping, but would like to see the facility retained.

I no longer rip CDs, but I may like to use it for some rare occasions.
I do know people who still use CD exclusively.

You web site seems to suggest that MM5 still retains CD ripping facilities. ... The sentences are not clear, but the implication is there IMO.
MediaMonkey is the award-winning media organizer and player for serious collectors. It cleans the mess in your music and video libraries, and lets you share and enjoy them across all your devices.

Record and Convert
Record CDs to your library** and convert audio/video files while preserving tag information***.

High Speed Encoding
Use multiple CPU cores for faster recording, conversion, and volume leveling.

Professional CD Recording
Record accurate copies with automatic throttling in response to CD quality and validation of recordings via the AccurateRip database.
And review sites still indicate the MM has ripping facilities ... eg this "best free music players 2021" review talks of "MP3 encoding for ripped CDs", and the full review says that MM Gold offers "bit-perfect CD ripping"

I doubt that I will use it, and I have other tools anyway, but I think that it should be retained, even if it is only available via some free separate addon. ... Do you really want to give Reviewers an extra item to put in their "con" column?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is not about Ripping (copying from CD to PC, which is included), but about Burning (copying files to an Audio/Data CD).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 pm This is not about Ripping (copying from CD to PC, which is included), but about Burning (copying files to an Audio/Data CD).
I used the wrong word. All my comments referred to burning.

I use the term rip for both activities, but I see that this is incorrect. Thanks.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
BMF

Post by BMF »

Regarding my personal preferences the aswer is easy. I never used the Mediamonkey for ripping or burning. So i will click the last option.

Nontheless what Barry said isn't that wrong, for most people hesitate or even hate to work with different programs. So delivering an one stop service could be an advantage on the market. Even when burning CDs seem to be out of fashion i do that for elder family members or friends who don't have a high tech park of hardware. But there is always a CD player around.

If you try to avoid the labour of developing and maintaining the burning routines you may think about an addon that give the information to a common freeware program. Like users could play a track from within MM4 with an external program.

Greetings
bmf
Last edited by BMF on Sat May 15, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

I find it convenient to burn Audio CDs for older car HiFi directly out of playlists from the library so I clicked -yes I need it-.
But I have to admit that it does not have a high priority at all for me.
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

This would be very low priority for me. There are plenty of freeware programs for burning, such as EAC, or even MM4 portable install for this rare activity.

I hardly ever listen to CD's, even in the car, as Bluetooth (or FM modulator for older radios) is more convenient. I can set up a much longer playlist for a road trip on digital than burning CD's.. This is only my personal preference though.

If I could give one high priority for me, it would be to have a version for IOS. I do understand the challenges with that though.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thank you all for your feedback. Really non-scientific study, but it still confirms our understanding that CD Audio burning support is of most importance (though even that is only desired by a small subset of users).

-Rusty
kesslerm

Post by kesslerm »

I missed the poll (like I'm sure others have). This is definitely missed. I was looking to burn a list of songs today and found that it's not implemented. This worked so well in the previous version, sure hope this is added quickly.
mtrhead

Post by mtrhead »

I'm enjoying my copy of MM5 but just found out the hard way (after missing the poll) that I suddenly needed the audio cd mp3 burn facility and found out it was gone! I know its no longer on the bleeding edge but it is a still very useful and convenient function, maybe not an everyday function but IMHO it adds to the "do anything" value of MM.

In my case I had to go back to MM4 just to have the right click and burn function but then ran into sync issues trying to run both against the same music collection. In the end I used windows media player but overall it just highlighted how painful it was (especially after WMP tries to resort the burn order how it wants) and how well previous versions of MM used to do this.

If the outcome of the poll was that you no longer have the function perhaps that should be made a little clearer as a functionality loss, I readily paid the upgrade for MM5 and just assumed it was a core function!
freewheelindave

CD burning tools in MM5 ?

Post by freewheelindave »

You are to be congratulated on your programming prowess.
The new MM5 is wonderful and really should be regarded as the best Windows application for audio storage and replay.
Having used the MM4 burning tool to Write CDs I wondered if there are plans for similar in MM5?
I know it's probably old school but I think CD's will make a resurgence soon and know of many audiophiles who have their whole collections on CD.
Thanks for all your good work.
freewheelindave
catweazle

Post by catweazle »

I purchased MM4gold for this feature.
Sad I can't upgrade to MM5 without losing it :(
JoshAT80

Post by JoshAT80 »

I've been catching up on Podcasts, but I usually listen to custom mp3 CDs in my car. I bought this software for the playlist sorting and syncing on my phone, but I can't control anything while driving if I use my phone because I'd have to look at it. I can't believe you'd even have the audacity to charge money for music management software that can't burn an MP3 CD! I want my money back, this is absurd! It's nice to sync playlists across my phone and computer, but the playlists I just made are worthless because this lacks such a basic operating feature!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Your MediaMonkey 5 License can be used in MediaMonkey 4 which does have the ability to burn CDs.
mjnmusic

Post by mjnmusic »

I also missed the poll. CD burning is a very important feature to me. It was so convenient to burn cds with ease from within the program. Of course there are other burning solutions available, but not without additional steps. Any thoughts about restoring this functionality in MM5 would be appreciated! Thanks.