Temp folder eats up disk space when syncing to an external device. [#13498]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Riegelstriegel

Temp folder eats up disk space when syncing to an external device. [#13498]

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi,

I just noticed that Media Monkey does store a lot of files in the App Data\Local\Temp folder when I sync and convert a set of songs to an external device. This can be a problem when you sync a few thousand files and have not so much disk space remaining.
Yesterday, after approx. 5000 files, the temp folder had extended to the 50GB of free storage that were remaining on my system drive until I decided to stop the syncing process and close Media Monkey (which gave the disc space back). Now I have a syncing process running with 3600 files already processed and the temp folder is back at 30GB

I don't know what exactly these temporary files are needed for, but do you think they can be deleted immediately after they have done their job? Or are they actually needed until the syncing process is completely finished?
Ludek

Re: Temp folder eats up disk space when syncing to an external device.

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
yes, when the conversion is faster than copying then the files are pre-converted until there is less than 1 GB of free space available -- or until all files are pre-converted ( https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13498 )

So if you would have only 3 GB of free disk space then the MM5's cache wouldn't go over 2 GB (to preserve 1GB of free disk space).

EDIT: I re-opened #13498 to limit the amount of pre-converted tracks to at most 50 files and/or 20-30GBs (together with the existing limit of 1GB free space).

EDIT2: Added the limit to 50 pre-converted tracks for build 2406
Riegelstriegel

Re: Temp folder eats up disk space when syncing to an external device.

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for the comment. At least it is good to know that MM is aware of the limits and will stop before the drive is completely full.
And thanks for opening the issue to limit the disk usage even further. I think you agree that it feels a bit uncomfortable to see the system SSD (almost) completely filled up. :D
dv1

Re: Temp folder eats up disk space when syncing to an external device. [#13498]

Post by dv1 »

This actually doesn't work or stop, I am trying to organise my music folder stored on a network drive and it has basically copied 1TB of stuff into the temp folder and taken my space down to 28MB causing my computer to crash and me needing to go into a live Linux distribution to delete stuff.

There is no information as to what this cache does either - if I delete it does this waste the 2 days I have spent trying to organise this?>
Lowlander

Re: Temp folder eats up disk space when syncing to an external device. [#13498]

Post by Lowlander »

Are you referring to the Recycling Bin on the NAS or to the Temp folder in MediaMonkey?