[REQ] Web Node - Sorting and Editing

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

IanRTaylorUK

[REQ] Web Node - Sorting and Editing

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Having added a few of my own "bookmarks" to the web node, it would be useful for the following:

a). Editing of the link - the only way I seem to be able to change is to delete and recreate.
For example, Jamendo gets is own default description which is longer than I would prefer. Sound Click does get a description and defaults to Unknown.
b). Sorting of the links e.g. drag and drop sorting
c). Hierarchy i.e. provide a group name and create bookmarks "beneath"
This is shown for the radio node where Radio is the group and Internet Radio / Radio Cast / Radio Forest / Times Radio / Shout Cast are placed beneath it.
d). Ability to copy the book mark to the clipboard so that it can be pasted externally

Hope these are useful suggestions.
Ian Taylor
monkeyfan1970

Re: [REQ] Web Node - Sorting and Editing

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

Indeed! I would love to see your suggestions implemented.

The Web Node in my opinion is so basic and non-functioning. There is no point in just having a web browser. If I want to use a browsers, I would just use a browser.

The Web Node needs some over overhauling and a re-look.

I have made a request too here.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=99310

The developers seems to be ignoring it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not ignoring just have no time to correctly test and see the solution if possible.
monkeyfan1970 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 amThe Web Node in my opinion is so basic and non-functioning. There is no point in just having a web browser. If I want to use a browsers, I would just use a browser.
This is not as easy to get as many many sites either do not support third party apps, do not have API or even in some cases paid one. So Only way to present URL info is to render URL page.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's a request, they're often left for further feedback from the community to see if it's worth spending resources on. This isn't something that receives a lot of requests.

Web is not trying to be a browser so it has limited functionality.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, Web node implementation in MM is very basic.
It is also problematic as currently every page is loaded within the MM5 process -- so blowing up RAM usage of MME process and causing that single web page can crash whole MM (resulting in a need to kill MM process in task manager).

For the future we would like to start separate process for every single web page (e.g. like Chrome does) -- until then the Web node functionality won't probably expand further. Tracking as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18066
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

I think the point is that we have lost functionality on going from MMW4 to MMW5.

Specifically on the Web node - when positioned on a book mark - MMW4 offers:
  • Open In Explorer
    Add
    Rename
    Remove
MMW5 only has Add and Remove.

Furthermore, MMW4 Add creates a bookmark "below" the selected bookmark i.e. is hierarchical. MMW5 adds to the top level.

It is therefore no surprise that reduced / more basic functionality does not attract user interest.

From my personal viewpoint MMW5 is some way off from "replacing" MMW4 - specifically:
  • Web Node
    CD Burning
    Auto-Tag
And yet MMW5 has improved tremendously over the last couple of years since the 22xx versions.

Maybe the Web functionality should be removed / simplified to just call an external browser (or other programs in general)? At least until such time as resources are available to give (or improve on) the full MMW4 web functionality. If a "candidate" was released without the Web node, I wonder how many would miss it! If this allowed for great progress with Auto-Tag and CD Burning it would be good in my opinion.
Ian Taylor
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

Ludek wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:44 am Yes, Web node implementation in MM is very basic.
It is also problematic as currently every page is loaded within the MM5 process -- so blowing up RAM usage of MME process and causing that single web page can crash whole MM (resulting in a need to kill MM process in task manager).

For the future we would like to start separate process for every single web page (e.g. like Chrome does) -- until then the Web node functionality won't probably expand further. Tracking as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18066
Hello Ludek,

I don't mean to bash on MM5. It is excellent, and I am using it. I am not the kind of user who will resist change when updating new software. In my opinion, MM4 is near perfect. It does have its minor flaws; But nothing of a significant shortcoming. Hence MM4 is my default media player. In my opinion, MM4 is still superior to MM5. Almost every department. Yes, I like the new MM5 look and feel.

I understand the reason behind the development MM5. You have written from the ground up for possible cross-platform deployment and a modern codebase. And it uses chromium as its foundation. I also understand development usually take a long time. When you look at what's new for MM5. https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/What%27s_New_in_V5 It is great that it has new features. But almost none of the new features are beneficial for me. Cause I can already achieve them in MM4. Maybe I am a super niche user. Hence, the question is, "What is the real and true incentive for upgrading or switching to MM5?"

I understand every feature request is looked at carefully if it makes any sense to add or tweak. However, if MM5 supposed to replace MM4, it needs to do better. I am not saying the web node is the saviour.

When it comes to modern web music streaming and listening, there are a lot of links that users have to deal with. Well, they can bookmark them in their browsers. I hate bookmarking youtube music or Soundcloud links. I always wonder if they be organised in a meaningful way? Where clicking the link would play the song as a track might play. This is where I strongly feel the web node could come into play. MM5 can be a music hub for its users if you want it to be.

I strongly urge and appreciate for you to look into the web node. You could start with Youtube and Soundcloud first. I believe there are APIs available for them. https://developers.soundcloud.com/docs/api/guide

Thank you!