[Solved] MMW set comment when updating files

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

[Solved] MMW set comment when updating files

Post by Andre_H »

Hi, can you please try to replicate:

when i change tags with an external tool (MP3Tag, deleted the "encodersettings"-tag on some tracks) and MMW udpates the changed tracks (doesn't matter if automaticly or on demand) it set the timestamp from "lastplayed" into the (previously empty) comment field.

I then tried it out a little, wanted to see what happens if comment was filled in beforehand: If I change a comment value in MP3Tag, it will be updated correctly in MMW. If I delete a comment in MP3Tag, MMW puts the value of "custom4" in the comment, but can no longer see this comment in MP3tag afterwards. I'm confused! :wink:

Edit: Build is 2418, non portable.
Last edited by Andre_H on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Lowlander

Re: Question/possible Bug: MMW set comment updating files

Post by Lowlander »

Which File Type(s) are affected and if you copy the file outside of MediaMonkey, does MediaMonkey see the incorrect comment?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Andre_H: I am not sure I understand, MM does not tag lastplayed time to the file at all, it is only in database. Could you send me sample file and edited files? I.e. original file - file after editing in MP3Tag - file after editing in MMW, and tell me what did you change when. You can use any file sharing service and send me link to private message. Thanks.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:28 am Which File Type(s) are affected and if you copy the file outside of MediaMonkey, does MediaMonkey see the incorrect comment?
Only noticed it with MP3s so far.

No, the copied file does not contain the tag for "comment" (at least MP3Tag doesn't show anything) until you "update tag" (CTRL + S) in MMW. After that, it's in the file an visible with MP3Tag.

MiPi has a link to a ZIP with sample files and a detailed description / simulation of the problem per PM.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Thanks. So the problem is, that MP3Tag changes identifiers of MediaMonkey custom6-custom10 tags to upper case. MediaMonkey stores custom1-custom10 fields to MP3 comment fields with special descriptions "Songs-DB_Custom1"-"Songs-DB_Custom10". It works for Songs-DB_Custom1 - Songs-DB_Custom5, but for newer fields "Songs-DB_Custom6" - "Songs-DB_Custom10" MP3Tag changes content description part of the tag to uppercase, MediaMonkey then does not recognize such comments a fill it at least to Comment field as comment, if standard comment does not exist in tags (the last one, as it does not support more comment fields).
I would recommend to contact author of MP3Tag, it should not arbitrarily change content descriptions, comment field then cannot be recognized correctly.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

if I understand correctly, MMW will NEVER overwrite an existing comment, correct? That would solve the biggest problem (at least for my use case).

MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Yes, existing comment has priority. The original comment with unrecognized content description is left unchanged when writing tags, and if there is some standard comment, it is always displayed and edited.
Andre_H

Re: Question/possible Bug: MMW set comment when updating files

Post by Andre_H »

Update: With Version3.07b (Beta), Florian (developer of MP3Tag) has apparently fixed the problem. I have performed only a few tests, but the problem has not occurred again. Just in case someone else uses MP3Tag here.

I set the thread to "solved".

MiPi

Re: [Solved]: MMW set comment when updating files

Post by MiPi »

Thanks for the info.