Refresh of Collection

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

IanRTaylorUK

Refresh of Collection

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

In MMW4 when a folder is set up for continuous scanning (e.g. New Music or Downloads) a collection based on that folder automatically updates its contents when files are ripped / downloaded / unzipped etc.

In MMW5 the process is not so automatic and seem to benefit from a F5 refresh. The view can remain "empty" for a long time.

Is there are way to get MMW5 to refresh the current view if/when new files added OR at least a status bar message along the lines of "View contents changed - Press F5 to Refresh".
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Re: Refresh of Collection

Post by Lowlander »

What exact node in the Media Tree are you viewing and what View is the Filelisting set to? Also which build (2418) of MediaMonkey 5 are you using?
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Lowlander,

I am never much more than a few days behind the latest version. So yes I am on 2418.

I created my own "User Collection" called Download to continuously scan my E:\Downloads folder in both MMW4 and MMW5. I select "All Tracks" then add some files to the folder.

MMW4 displays the files almost instantly whereas MMW5 seems to benefit from a Refresh / F5. MMW5 will get there but I would estimate it takes twice as long and is more dependant on what else is running. Maybe something we just need to get used to.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I tested on 2419 (unreleased) and created a new Collection with Path set to a folder not in the MediaMonkey Library. Then browsed to the Collection > All Tracks and rescanned that folder and the Filelisting (set to List View) updated as files were scanned in.

Then selected files and remove part of the files from MediaMonkey Library and the Filelisting updated accordingly.

Then rescanned again and the Filelisting updated accordingly as well.

Although I don't think there's anything that changed in this regard can you re-test on 2419+ once released and capture it in a debug log (step 4b) if you can reproduce: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Thanks for looking into this Lowlander.

Have done a comparison of MMW4 and MMW5. Come to the conclusion that it might be related to the hard disk speed. MMW4 uses the "master" copy of my MP3 files on a tidier / newer / larger / faster hard disk. MMW5 uses a "copy" on a smaller / slower / fragmented disk that had some issues - including a couple of partitions no longer in use.

Defragmenting and clearing the issues has improved the situation.

I am now wondering what would happen if I replaced the smaller / slower disk with a SSD drive that is possibly a decade old!

Tests done after installing 2419.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It definitely impacts performance. You may see this in Task Manager where CPU/GPU/MB are barely used, but HDD is pegged at 100% a lot.

I did test on a mechanical hard drive when I tested with both the database and the media files on the same hard drive.