MM5 Views and View Types [#18085]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MyVikes

MM5 Views and View Types [#18085]

Post by MyVikes »

I'm able to modify a custom view after selecting a View Type but it doesn't seem to save (or i can't figure out how to) and I want to make sure what I'm doing is correct.

Reading here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/What%27s_New_in_V5 I think I believe that when I select a "view type" (i.e. List, Grid, List by Album are the only choices) that although I can change it I still can't "save" it as it's not configurable according to a comment on the linked to help page, is that correct?

After changing it I would expect it to persist but when I close MM5 and re-open the changes are gone. I can confirm this is not the behavior of MM4 views.
Lowlander

Re: MM5 Views and View Types

Post by Lowlander »

What customization is lost and which build of MediaMonkey (Help > About)?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MyVikes wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:27 pm I'm able to modify a custom view after selecting a View Type but it doesn't seem to save (or i can't figure out how to) and I want to make sure what I'm doing is correct.

Reading here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/What%27s_New_in_V5 I think I believe that when I select a "view type" (i.e. List, Grid, List by Album are the only choices) that although I can change it I still can't "save" it as it's not configurable according to a comment on the linked to help page, is that correct?

After changing it I would expect it to persist but when I close MM5 and re-open the changes are gone. I can confirm this is not the behavior of MM4 views.
Not completely clear what you mean. So guessing a bit.

This is the list of pre-configured Views which ship with MM5.
Each View comes with some sensible default (columns on display, sequence in which they are displayed, and sort sequence for the rows, etc) ... you can modify these defaults on the fly. and your changes are persistent., you don't have to "save" them.

A difference to MM4 is that the changes that you make to a view, are specific to the Collection|SubNode and View where you made the changes. .... eg. List view layout changes for Music>Albums do not affect list View for Music>Composers, or Classic>Albums ... each of these remembers whatever changes you made when you last used that View at that Collection>Node.

Maybe that is confusing you, re whether your changes are being persisted?

You can also clone any view, and create your own View. You may have noticed two extra views in my View menu. I created them via the Manage View facility available here. ... Here is the configuration for one on them.

last time I looked there were a few issues with this facility. My bug report hasn't raised to the top o the pile yet, but the facility is useful as-is.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

I'm currently on build 5.0.1.2419 and i'm running in Developer Mode.

When i start with a custom view with a view type of "List (by Album)" and add a column (i.e. Album Artist) it's fine until i restart MM5 and then the changes are gone. I don't see a way to save the view and/or create a custom "View type".

I try for a "drill down" approach of Genre, Date, Album Artist, Artist and lastly Album.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MyVikes wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:39 am When i start with a custom view with a view type of "List (by Album)" and add a column (i.e. Album Artist) it's fine until i restart MM5 and then the changes are gone. I don't see a way to save the view and/or create a custom "View type".
I cannot replicate this problem.
See my post above yours, for some info which may explain what you are seeing.

How are you closing MM5? Presumably you are not closing it by rebooting the PC when MM5 is still running.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can't reproduce:
1 Select Entire Library
2 Use Manage Views
3 Edit List (by Album)
4 Added Added column at end to enabled columns
5 Saved and returned to Filelisting
6 Restart MediaMonkey
7 Added still shows
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

This is not what i'm trying to do.

Steps I'm following:
  • created my own view using the "List (by Album)" View type
  • select "Music" in the left navigation pane
  • right click on a column in the top section and select "Add column"
  • under "ALL FIELDS" in the top section select a column
  • drag/drop a column in the top section left or right to position it
  • customize columns in the bottom section [i think this is what you're describing]
  • close MM5
  • reopen MM5
After i do this all the changes i've made are lost
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MyVikes wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 am This is not what i'm trying to do.

Steps I'm following:
  • created my own view using the "List (by Album)" View type
  • select "Music" in the left navigation pane
  • right click on a column in the top section and select "Add column"
  • under "ALL FIELDS" in the top section select a column
  • drag/drop a column in the top section left or right to position it
  • customize columns in the bottom section [i think this is what you're describing]
  • close MM5
  • reopen MM5
After i do this all the changes i've made are lost
I can't be sure because you are not using the standard names for the UI elements.
Unless you have configured your layout, I think that you are seeing the second issue in my Bug report, that i linked to above.
ie. no persistence in the "top section" (aka the Column Filter).
They have had that report for a month, but have not responded yet, due the number of early issues following MM5 release, I suppose.

However I do see persistence for changes made in the "bottom section" (aka Main panel).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

At your set created my own view using the "List (by Album)" View type which node is selected in the Media Tree when you create the View?

What's the top section , is it the Column Filter?

Feel free to add screenshots to explain what you see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97733
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

Here is before changes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1up4p3iqbrlja ... e.JPG?dl=0
Here is the after: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztoihxwxei1nm ... r.JPG?dl=0

When i make the same changes in MM4 , exit and restart the column filters (that is the formal name i was missing) are not lost but in MM5 they are lost.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MyVikes wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:08 am When i make the same changes in MM4 , exit and restart the column filters (that is the formal name i was missing) are not lost but in MM5 they are lost.
Yes, that is the issue that I have mentioned in thread three times now.
  • I "created" a View based upon List By Album ... my custom view included the Column Browser
  • once this view is created, I can find no way to make a persistent change to Column Browser (eg. change the filter from AlbumArtist|Album|Title to Composer|Album|Title)
  • from what I can see, the Column Browser setup at the point of View creation is frozen into the view specification
  • I can alter the view, while I am "using" it, but I cannot alter the specification ... ie. every time that I "use" the View it opens with the original frozen Column Filter setup
The issue was reported 5th of May, but has not been confirmed the Devs yet. I am also keen to see it confirmed and fixed.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I am seeing the same, tracking as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18085

Thanks for reporting!
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:46 am Hi, I am seeing the same, tracking as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18085

Thanks for reporting!
Much appreciated!
lueromat

Re: MM5 Views and View Types [#18085]

Post by lueromat »

+1, have edited my views in various context (e.g. by clicking on an album artist, or genre) through "manage views". I do the edits, but they don't seem to get saved. or, at least, those edits then don't work across all contexts - i.e., it matters how I access a "list" or "list (by album)" view
sopito

Re: MM5 Views and View Types [#18085]

Post by sopito »

I am basically having the same issue and I believe that there actually is a combination of unintuitive behaviour with a real bug:

- I can define and name a custom view and I can also apply it to different track lists. The settings I make are preserved when restarting MM5 (v. 5.0.1). This works for the choice and order of columns as well as for sort order.

- I can also mess up the view of a track list (columns or sort order) and fix it again by re-applying my custom view.

- When opening opening "manage views" and then chosing to edit an already existing custom view not the original settings of the custom view will be shown but the view settings of the current track list (which may be messed up). This is not exactly a bug but not a behavoiur which I would actually expect.

- Irrespective of whether you exit with "cancle" or "ok" the custom view settings will then be overwritten with the current view. This appears to be a bug.

Proposal:
- Fix bug (do not overwrite settings when exiting with "cancle")
- Show original settings (not current view settings) when editing an already existing custom view and rather offer a function "update view based on current setting" instead to to avoid unintentional changes by the user.