Support Windows 10 Long Path Functionality [#18122]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

manalive

Support Windows 10 Long Path Functionality [#18122]

Post by manalive »

Related to viewtopic.php?f=30&t=99508

Windows 10 now supports file paths longer than 260 characters. Right now it has to be enabled by the user but long paths are highly useful for mediamonkey users with large libraries with filenames and paths constructed from metadata tags.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... limitation
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Support Windows 10 Long Path Functionality

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 already supports longer Paths, it's MediaMonkey 4 where this isn't supported. Is MediaMonkey giving you a file Path length error?
manalive

Post by manalive »

A lot of files in a move operation are failing. It's not giving me a specific error but I noticed the ones that are failing tend to have very long file paths.

I'll take your word for it and let you know if I get specifics. thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which build (Help > About) are you on?

So the files have long (240+ characters) Paths before Auto-Organize Files? Do they also get organized to long Paths afterwards? Is the database you're using from MediaMonkey 4 or did these files get added to the Library by MediaMonkey 5?
manalive

Post by manalive »

Actually, I take that back- the problem here might be with the Auto Organize feature. It is truncating the destination path on some of the files and then it fails.

It is truncating some of my filenames to 50 characters, but it is not truncating all filenames that have more than 50 characters. It LOOKS like if the total file path exceeds some unknown limit, the filename specifically will be truncated to 50 characters.

I'm on 2420.
manalive

Post by manalive »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:03 pm Which build (Help > About) are you on?

So the files have long (240+ characters) Paths before Auto-Organize Files? Do they also get organized to long Paths afterwards? Is the database you're using from MediaMonkey 4 or did these files get added to the Library by MediaMonkey 5?

- Yes, I'm moving them from one drive to another so the first couple folders are different but the file path sizes are not super different
- Yes, except for the ones being truncated.
- I did start with MM4 many years ago but all of these files were recently downloaded with MediaMonkey 5 in the last few weeks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

manalive wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 pm Actually, I take that back- the problem here might be with the Auto Organize feature. It is truncating the destination path on some of the files and then it fails.

It is truncating some of my filenames to 50 characters, but it is not truncating all filenames that have more than 50 characters. It LOOKS like if the total file path exceeds some unknown limit, the filename specifically will be truncated to 50 characters.

I'm on 2420.
Yes, I can confirm that in the auto-organize dialog MM5 currently auto-cuts the long path/filename per spec in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16505

So if I understand properly you prefer for the auto-organize feature to not do the cut automatically, right? Or are you seeing some further issues?
manalive

Re: Support Windows 10 Long Path Functionality [#18122]

Post by manalive »

Yes, please. I don't have any problems with the long paths except in MM so I would prefer that limitation removed.

I agree with 'auto-resolving' the problems as per spec, but since the limitation, in this case, is only from MM and not windows I would prefer it was handled differently.
Ludek

Re: Support Windows 10 Long Path Functionality [#18122]

Post by Ludek »