64bit version in the future?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

thework1

64bit version in the future?

Post by thework1 »

Are their plans for a 64bit version in the near future? Managing a massive library takes a lot of patience was hoping for a 64bit version so I could throw more horsepower at library management.
Peke

Re: 64bit version in the future?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
How massive we are talking about I have 200k+ in library and see no issues or slowdons. Memory utilization is nowhere near 4GB limit and as MM5 spread over few threads/helper apps so using even 32+ cores/threads is no issue.

Can you please elaborate what you meant by horse power eg. is your CPU maxed out, UI freeze?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
snowleopard

Post by snowleopard »

Interesting post, I mean most of us are using 64bit operating systems now, is it that difficult to move to a 64bit MediaMonkey? I might not have 200k files, but I have ram and cores to spare and all my files are uncompressed so they are large.
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

The complexity of moving from a 32 to a 64 bit architecture can range from "change the build target, rebuild, done" to "re-engineer entire parts of the application". And in both cases you have to consider the very real possibility of introducing bugs down the line which aren't immediately apparent and usually not easy to debug.

It's probably more of a question of benefits and tradeoffs. A 64 bit architecture is not a magic bullet that makes things faster. There are of course use cases where the switch makes sense and can bring real world performance benefits. Conversely, the opposite can also be the case where a 64 bit application performs worse due to the additional overhead in memory management.

In the vast majority of use cases you won't see any difference at all, especially in cases where the application doesn't actually hit any of the 32-bit imposed limitations.

In the end, it probably comes down to the question "Is it worth it?".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

64-bit is being looked at, but won't provide a performance gain for most users, while adding a lot of development time.
ianw

64bit media monkey

Post by ianw »

As more and more computers have 4gb of ram and 64 bit processors, plus libraries are getting bigger. Could we have a 64bit version of MM and deprecate the old 32 bit version
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What we found is that only limitations in MM4 as 4GB Library size and only few users had issues with over 2 million tracks.

MM5 handles things even more efficiently and until we stop supporting 32bit plugins using 64bit app will actually slow down MM performance.

Finally Virtualization of 32bit apps is much better on 64bit OS than 64Bit.

Lastly in MM4 folder you have patch exe that will allow MM4 allocate more than 4GB of ram.
Best regards,
Peke
thework1

Post by thework1 »

I've been collecting and adding to the library for years and I'm up to 3.5tb on my music drive.

Current machine is:
Ryzen3700x
32g Ram

Music drive is likely the bottleneck as much as anything, music drive is an external 4tb drive(usb 3 2.5" WD) if I was to copy it off to nvme would I get any real benefit? I would think calculating the hashes for duplicate content would be more CPU/memory intensive. I'm willing to invest into building up the machine if MM can use the resources.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Generally the drive for most uses isn't a problem for music files as you're need dealing with very large files. The speed of the drive where the database file is located is much more important.

Task Manager will show you how much of the bandwidth to the drive is being used if you're interested.

There may be scenarios like Volume Analyzing large amounts of files, Analyzing for Duplicates where the drive is a bottleneck, but it may very well the CPU that's the bottleneck. Also, these are generally not the types of things you'd do regularly on large amounts of files.
Peke

Post by Peke »

thework1 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:41 pm I've been collecting and adding to the library for years and I'm up to 3.5tb on my music drive.
I have triple that as they are FLAC 85% (eg. 1.5 CD/GB times 6000 CDs)+DVD Backups+AudioBooks+Podcasts+Devices/Tablets/Phones/... media backups,... Now in buying/obtaining all my all favorite Movies in 4k/HDR10/3D+Surveillance recordings (full 7 days 2x1080p, 1x1440p, 1x4k[360] cams)+Car DASHCAM backups (for travels time lapse. 27h=512GB raw from DashCam) around 14TB[4x12TB drives in 2x2 RAID1] (+/-2TB after cleanup) all on NAS.

The best performance gain is that your Boot/Cache/pagefile/System drive is fastest as possible (See sysProfile from my signature). Kill all non essential apps, offload AntiVirus/Ransomware and other Realtime all around scanner solutions to strict Hardware Firewall or dedicated local gateway/proxy where you are on multiple 1Gbit Wired connections or even 10Gbit to/from NAS. And you will get no issues.

All above is DIY, so buying hardware was only expense I had over the years this as built and upgraded to current state.

Also to answer some of your concerns. Yes x64 app when loading 8K video file for editing/enhancing/... I see benefit 1000% when in memory cache but, for query SQLite DB of 1GB (Check size of your MM5.DB) and if it is near 4GB I apologize.

FYI you know that 128Bit apps(read chip services) already work in some specific systems, but is not for consumer market yet (it will not be in our lifetime). I've seen one specific chip in development and main problem is that current hardware bottleneck it. See GPU bandwidth, but again it is something that you and I and 99.99% of people will not need, but it is for deep machine learning, AI, Virtiualization, ...

With all that said, like MM5 was overhaul of MM architecture that started to bottleneck evolution and future of MM. IT will also happen for x64 version of MM if OS/platform demands and we can really benefit from it.
Best regards,
Peke
nkormanik

Keeps Crashing on Memory Issues

Post by nkormanik »

Absolutely must have 64-bit version....

Thanks,
Nicholas Kormanik
nkormanik

Post by nkormanik »

MM5 consistently craps out. First totally white screen. Then crash. Sometimes taking down computer to point of auto-reboot.

This all takes place during scan for new files, or updating database.

Needs 64-bit engine, is my hunch.

Thanks,
Nicholas Kormanik
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey 5 are you using?
nkormanik

Post by nkormanik »

But every build behaves pretty much the same.

Need 64-bit....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case please capture the problem in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why it happens in your setup.