MediaMonkey 5.0.2.2500 Alpha - Installation / Initial Experience

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

IanRTaylorUK

MediaMonkey 5.0.2.2500 Alpha - Installation / Initial Experience

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Good experience with the latest release until the 3rd time I ran MMW5 2500.

Background & Preparation
=====================
Made sure my D:\Music (MMW4) and E:\Music (MMW5) folder were consistent.
Found some Playlists needed refreshing for the MMW5 version so ran MMW4 and exported.
I also ran the "maintain" library option in MMW4

Uninstalled MMW5 Debug 2433 then made sure the Registry was clear of MMW5 stuff. Also delete MMW5 folders (except the one with Artist Images!).

Restarted the PC and ran MMW4, completed a full scan of library and then Exited MMW4

Ran the installation of MMW5 Debug 2500 and recorded using the Powerpoint Screen recorder. No Issues other than the expected "pointing" to the D:\Music MMW4 version of my library. Completed full scan of the E:\Music MMW5 version then exited.

Ran MMW5 from the installed desktop short cut and removed the D:\Music "location" to de-duplicate the library! Then exited.

On the 3rd run, seemed to have an issue with the "pop-up" player and the application windows whited out on me (last few minutes of video at around 17:14 or just after line ~01644500 in the log.

The debug log is: https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... g?e=Z9MupK

The video is:
https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... Q?e=EvMvQJ
Last edited by IanRTaylorUK on Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey 5.0.2.2500 Alpha - Installation / Initial Experience

Post by Lowlander »

You can open a Support Ticket for logs and screencasts to keep it private to you and the developers.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Lowander,

Ticket #2568 created. The file is quite large. Let me know if the database file is also needed as I have a copy from before (16:56) and after (18:02).

Will get to test / video / log other aspects when I get some time.

Keep me posted if anything (e.g. new version) is about to be released.

Thanks in advance.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

New versions are posted here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639 and you can subscribe to that topic to get notified when a new release is available.
Peke

Post by Peke »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:08 pm Keep me posted if anything (e.g. new version) is about to be released.
Thanks in advance.
First thank you for extensive shakeup of 2500. I agree with Lowlander on monitor/subscribe to Beta release Topic.

Also when you see Dev posts on your bugs you can also watch when they are resolved on our bug tracker and then ask in PM Ludek, Lowlander, me, ... to get you heads up on build.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:08 pm The file is quite large. Let me know if the database file is also needed as I have a copy from before (16:56) and after (18:02).
Pro tip: Text files and database files both compress very efficiently. Putting them in a .zip, or even better, a .7z, will make the files much smaller and easier to send.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:11 pm New versions are posted here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639 and you can subscribe to that topic to get notified when a new release is available.
Hi Lowlander, thanks for reply.

Yes I already subscribe to this as the "opening" page for the MM browser favourite.

I was really asking about getting a heads up on the time frame for the next version. During the almost weekly 24xx releases, I felt I often repeated testing! Just after finishing tests of 24nn, 24nn+x would be released and I would then have both the burden of re-installation and repeating some testing.

I was just looking to be a little more efficient with 25xx testing. Also, I would hope to delve a little deeper into some areas e.g. Podcasts, that I never looked at with 24xx versions.

If the next version is a few weeks away, I am happy to continue testing with 2500. But if only a few days, I would prefer to wait.

I can see in Mantis that 2501 has 13 fixes already. So just really asking if you can share an outline plan of releases. I know this would have a few caveats but you might find it helps keep beta testers.
Ian Taylor
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

drakinite wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:15 pm
IanRTaylorUK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:08 pm The file is quite large. Let me know if the database file is also needed as I have a copy from before (16:56) and after (18:02).
Pro tip: Text files and database files both compress very efficiently. Putting them in a .zip, or even better, a .7z, will make the files much smaller and easier to send.
Hi Drakinite, thanks for suggestion.

I guess I walk a slightly different path!

All my screen shots, video files, log files, database backups from testing are placed in a One Drive folder. So I am not exactly going out-of-my-way to upload. They just get uploaded in the background - typically when I have the computer on but away from the keyboard.

The capacity of my cloud storage exceeds the capacity of my hard disks.

So I do not feel too limited by either band-width or storage capacity. I have set the OneDrive data retention to 90days and also "back-up" the whole music library. This does allow me to "pull-back" MP3 files reasonably quickly if I screw-up something.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Release are made available when ready. There is no fixed schedule for releases.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:52 pm The capacity of my cloud storage exceeds the capacity of my hard disks.
Dang, how much cloud storage capacity do you have?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Drakinite, the default is 5 Terabytes per email account for the OneDrive Business version and 1 Terabyte per email for the Personal OneDrive version. Then ~7GB for DropBox and ~15GB for Google. Location has 3-4 users so I guess that is 15-20 TB available. OneDrive Business has a 90day retention of previous copies. I think it might be 30day for Personal.

The largest hard disk I have is 6TB but I run with say 4TB max usage of which ~50% is data worth backing up.

I normally run with a single business email account and single personal account but have been known to create a temporary email e.g. pulling data from a user's failing laptop / device whilst it is repaired or replaced.

I have thought about crypto solutions like Ocean, Sia and Storj but this is on my to-do list.
Ian Taylor