Autotag Image Size [#18180 #3181]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Keeps

Autotag Image Size [#18180 #3181]

Post by Keeps »

Autotag is setting all my album art to be giant, hi-res images. Most of them are coming in 1700x1700 or 1900x1900, and usually around 500-900Kb. I'm sure that's nice for a lot of cases, but my Sonos won't display any art over 300Kb, and my car chokes on images over 1000x1000. Now I have to go back in behind Autotag and fix it manually. Usually I can just hit the "Lookup Image" button and find a substitute, but way too many times I have to save the art to a file, resize it myself, and drag it back in.

In MM4 I can drag an image from Amazon into the artwork field and have it add to the tracks, their images are standardized perfectly for my devices, or I could copy an image from my browser and paste it into the tag. MM5 doesn't seem to like either of those; when dragging an image it changes the cursor to a "+" but doesn't do anything with it, and there's no place to paste to. (I can drag an image file from my desktop, but now we're back to extra save steps outside of MM.)

So could we get a way to set a size limit, or maybe provide some basic scaling tools?
Lowlander

Re: Autotag Image Size

Post by Lowlander »

You can drag & drop onto the Properties > Artwork tab or onto the Preview window.
Keeps

Post by Keeps »

No, I can't. The entire second paragraph is all the ways that I can't.

MM4, it works:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky3nj70tj1h8f ... p.mp4?dl=0

MM5, it doesn't:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbaxtr7kl8cqv ... p.mp4?dl=0
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Keeps wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:45 pm No, I can't. The entire second paragraph is all the ways that I can't.
I can replicate the issue that you describe.

A workaround is available:
  • click on the Amazon image, to make it fullsize
  • right click the fullsize image, and take option CopyImage
  • right click in MM5 File Properies Artwork tab, and take option paste
I second your request re having an option in MM where we could set a filesize limit, and to have auto-rescale it.

I have Sonos also.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Image drag&drop problems already tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18180
It is issue with Chrome, dropping Amazon image from Firefox works for me correctly, so easiest workaround is use e.g. portable Firefox for this purpose.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Automatic resizing of embedded artworks was not implemented yet, tracked here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=3181
Keeps

Re: Autotag Image Size [#18180 #3181]

Post by Keeps »

Ah-ha, that's interesting, thank you.

Right-clicking and copying the image also doesn't work in Chrome - according to issue #18180, Chrome puts the actual image in the clipboard when you do this (which seems like the correct thing to do), while Firefox just copies the path to the temp file (which seems...strange). MM5 can't paste the bitmap, though MM4 could.

And I can drag-and-drop images from Firefox, as described. However, in addition to Chrome, I can't drag from Edge or Opera. I thought Opera wasn't Chromium-based, so that doesn't mean quite as much as I thought it did at first. But I think Chromium is WebKit-based, so it would be interesting to see what happens with Safari. Or if there are any other browsers at all that do work.

(To add to the comments on issue #18180, no, I haven't been able to D&D from Google image search results in MM4 since the current layout was released. For Google image search results that I wanted to use I have been using the right-click-copy-paste technique recommended earlier.)

I really like the idea described in issue #3181 of being able to change the image sizes during device synchronization. That's really clever, and then I would still be able to enjoy the high-quality images while on the PC.
Keeps

Re: Autotag Image Size [#18180 #3181]

Post by Keeps »

Oh, duh. After letting the details of that bug report percolate for a bit, I can still use the method Barry4679 outlined above. Just instead of "copy image," select "copy image path" - that puts the address of the picture in the clipboard instead of the actual bitmap, and MM5 accepts that to paste artwork just fine.