Suggestions for Browser view

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ed.j

Suggestions for Browser view

Post by ed.j »

This is referring to the view that is the default/one of the view options when you click on a node or collection.

I think it's a really cool starting point for something that can be improved in a big way. At the moment I think it is somewhat obsolete although I like the way it works. I think the presentation is genuinely beautiful - clicking on an Artist to see their albums, then seeing the tracks on that album, all on one screen and without "losing" your view when clicking - but I don't understand how or why these particular artists or albums are chosen.

Right now there are four elements:
  • Collection browser
    Suggsted artists
    Suggsted albums
    Pinned list
It would be amazing if we could add extra elements along the lines of
  • Recently added albums
    Random albums never listened to
    Random albums never finished (ie some tracks have zero plays)
    Random albums with 5* tracks
    Random albums from specific genres (use case example, you can't be bothered to search through your Electronica genre to find an album to play)
    Top played tracks from a random year
    A random artist from the library/specific genre/year/etc is selected and it shows their biography, and the music you have of theirs
    Files/folders in a particular directory/playlist/etc - maybe your "to organise" or "to listen to" list etc
And/or the ability to add elements created in a similar way to AutoPlaylists.

I can see it being a great starting page for when you open Mediamonkey, a bit like when you open Spotify and you are presented with the home page.

Appreciate this is probably quite a big request, but the ability for MM to have a proper home page would be awesome.
Peke

Re: Suggestions for Browser view

Post by Peke »

Hi,
ed.j wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:35 pm And/or the ability to add elements created in a similar way to AutoPlaylists.
You can PIN any Playlist (Right click on Playlist -> Send to -> Pin it or D&D to PINNED Tree Node) and it will show in collection root.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Peke wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:58 pm Hi,
ed.j wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:35 pm And/or the ability to add elements created in a similar way to AutoPlaylists.
You can PIN any Playlist (Right click on Playlist -> Send to -> Pin it or D&D to PINNED Tree Node) and it will show in collection root.
That's very good to know, thank you, but importantly with (Auto)Playlists you can't set up the following (purely as examples):

Random albums never listened to
Random albums never finished (ie some tracks have zero plays)
Random albums with 5* tracks
Random albums from specific genres (use case example, you can't be bothered to search through your Electronica genre to find an album to play)
Top played tracks from a random year
A random artist from the library/specific genre/year/etc is selected and it shows their biography, and the music you have of theirs
Files/folders in a particular directory/playlist/etc - maybe your "to organise" or "to listen to" list etc

Further, if you pin an AutoPlaylist, it won't be shown in the same way as the Artist or Album element, it is simply shown as a link.

I'm pretty sure that what I've suggested isn't available now, it's intended to be a consideration for future development.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What you want should be easily achievable with MM5 API and JS that do the algorithm and MM Library query, There is already Random Album Criteria for auto playlist, so you can partially do that already.

This is more question for Developer forum than wish list.

I can already see the Auto-DJ addon that select random Album with average 4+ stars.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:30 am This is more question for Developer forum than wish list.
Why would you say that. The title of this forum says that it is for "feature requests".

My opinion is that the elements of Browser view is just general interest eye candy, which are a but of fun.
Something to remind you of some album, or artist that is buried somewhere in your collection.

And in that spirit, the suggestion is an extension of that.
Something to allow someone to customise their MM desktop to their own interests, just as they can customise their PC or phone's desktop.
Why pour cold water over enthusiasm?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I think you are wrong, I like the idea, but it is bit lower on to-do and I am thinking that if requested in dev forum, someone can pick it up more quickly.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:42 pm I think you are wrong, I like the idea, but it is bit lower on to-do and I am thinking that if requested in dev forum, someone can pick it up more quickly.
Didn't mean to offend.
With respect, your intention was not clear.
See PM.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
All OK, not offended. I know taht my non native english can be unclear sometimes.
Best regards,
Peke