More instructions for installing on linux

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey Server and learn about the newest builds.

Moderators: drakinite, Gurus

superzentredi

More instructions for installing on linux

Post by superzentredi »

Hello, I downloaded the zip file onto my ubuntu machine but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it working. I've tried launching from the command line but I get Segmentation fault (Core Dumped) error. Ive also tried the master from git hub with nodejs npm installed and everything but I can not get the web interface to load. It just says NAT setup doesn't work: Error: Timeout.
Could use some more thorough instructions on how to set this up on a linux machine.
Thanks
drakinite

Re: More instructions for installing on linux

Post by drakinite »

I just tried a clean install of MMS on my Ubuntu VM without any errors. What version of NodeJS and NPM are you using?

Here are the steps I took:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/mediamonkeyserver/mms.git
cd mms
npm install
npm start
Note that the npm install process may take some time the first time. If you force-stop it while it's in the process of compiling the web interface, it may get borked and you'll need to re-clone it.

I'm personally not certain of what the NAT setup doesn't work: Error: timeout is coming from, but it's not necessary for MMS to function. (I got the same error on my Ubuntu VM, but the server still loads under localhost:10222)

Here's a sample of expected output:

Code: Select all

> mediamonkeyserver@0.3.2 start
> node server.js

SQL: path=/home/drak/MediaMonkeyServer/mms.db
Database loaded in 0.04 seconds
Prepared statements in 0.00 seconds
0 files have been read from database in 0 ms
Scanning of /home/drak/Music has failed: Error: Can not scan directory
==================================================
MMS v0.3.2 running at http://172.29.164.42:10222 (or http://localhost:10222)
Connect using a web browser or using MediaMonkey 5.
==================================================
Scanning of /home/drak/Videos has failed: Error: Can not scan directory
A new client connected (Chrome on Windows)
NAT setup doesn't work: Error: timeout
User admin has logged in
(Reason /home/drak/Music and /home/drak/Videos scan failed is because those folders don't exist :slight_smile:)
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
superzentredi

Post by superzentredi »

npm is 7.24.1
nodejs is 10.19.0

I might try starting from scratch on this, something must've gone wrong somewhere in the process. Usually takes me a couple tries to get things running properly in ubuntu as Im still a developing amateur at linux based systems.
superzentredi

Post by superzentredi »

Seems everything is running on the mediamonkey server but the web server on 10222. It loads the database, tries to scan directories. The only error now seems to be a certificate error. "Caught exception: Error: error:140AB18F:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_certificate:ee key too small"
jiri

Post by jiri »

Thanks, the error "SSL_CTX_use_certificate:ee key too small" will be fixed in the next build.

Jiri