Database setup

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey Server and learn about the newest builds.

Moderators: drakinite, Gurus

mhendu

Database setup

Post by mhendu »

I have a MM4 install on my Windows 10 PC and installed this but it didn't read my database. Do I have to upgrade to MM5 for this to work, or can it be configured to read from the MM4 database? Also, looks like it's asking for the folders where the music is located, which seems like an odd setting if it's supposed to work with an existing database managed from the MM client. Would be really interested to get this working - if I could have a server read my existing database and access my collection over the web, including playlists, rate tracks in the web UI, sync last played dates, etc., and particularly if this also worked with a client on Android that would be amazing. Currently using BubblePnP but it lacks some of the functionality that I would like, and there's no Windows desktop client so I have to emulate Android on my Windows PC to play music.
jiri

Re: Database setup

Post by jiri »

MMS doesn't directly take over MM4 or MM5 database, as it can be installed on a completely different machine (Windows or Linux based, a NAS, etc.). That said, the transition from a working MM5 installation should be rather easy: Just install MMS, then find it in MM5 and configure it to synchronize the library with MMS. After that step, the MMS library should be usable either from the previously working MM5 instance, or any other instance.

As for other features -- yes, we plan them to be implemented, we just need some more time finish it, but a fully working remote access using any client is planned to be there quite soon.

Jiri
mhendu

Post by mhendu »

Sounds good in theory, but I don't see a way to actually have MMS read my MM4 or MM5 database. It looks like it sets up an entirely new database, so I'd have to add my music folders to MMS and scan them in. Is there a way to configure MMS to read the MM5 database, including playlists?

Also unclear to me how I connect to MMS when I'm away from home - there doesn't seem to be a way to set the IP address or domain. How does this work?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
For now initially all needs to works on LAN/WLAN and then we plan to expand that to external connections which include much more security and what ifs than LAN.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mrhollywood360

Post by mrhollywood360 »

jiri wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:22 am MMS doesn't directly take over MM4 or MM5 database, as it can be installed on a completely different machine (Windows or Linux based, a NAS, etc.). That said, the transition from a working MM5 installation should be rather easy: Just install MMS, then find it in MM5 and configure it to synchronize the library with MMS. After that step, the MMS library should be usable either from the previously working MM5 instance, or any other instance.

As for other features -- yes, we plan them to be implemented, we just need some more time finish it, but a fully working remote access using any client is planned to be there quite soon.
So does this mean I can import my MM4 db into MMS? Or would I have to go MM4 > MM5 > MMS
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

You have to go MM4 > MM5 > MMS