MMS on Synology DS220+ NAS

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey Server and learn about the newest builds.

Moderators: drakinite, Gurus

KurtBe

MMS on Synology DS220+ NAS

Post by KurtBe »

Hi, I am trying to run MM5 which I installed on a DeskTop PC.
I have transfereded all my music on a Synology NAS DS220+ (which does not run on an ARM if I am right).
I assume I cannot let MM5 Build its own database, because I will lose a lot of information from the MM4 database.
Before I start getting it all wrong, here are my questions (AND: I am a noob...).

1: I wonder if there is an advantage to run MMS on the NAS instead of Minimserver which I plan to use?

2: Since I am still in the proces of installing everything: IF I install MMS, which version should I use (there are currently 4 versions posted in this forum, I have no idea which one to pick.)?

3: If I run Mediamonkey 4 (which I bought years ago) on other machines, can I use the NAS as the Library where all the music is, or do I have to install MM 5 instead of keep using MM4?

4: I am trying to incorporate the MM4 database into MM. So far, it did not work. But his is perhaps not the right place to pop this question.

Thank you for any feedback.

Kurt
Lowlander

Re: MMS on Synology DS220+ NAS

Post by Lowlander »

1) At the moment MMS only integrates with MMW5, it doesn't integrate with either MMW4 or MMA. The benefit of MMS on a NAS is the always on nature, but if your PC with MMW5 is on when you need to access it from other devices it may be overkill.

2) The latest release for the device you're installing it on. So for Synology you'll need to the Synology installed (not sure if one exists).

3) MMW4/MMW5 can index, manage and play media files on NAS devices via their File Shares (don't use their DLNA Servers).

4) Into MMS or MMW5?

Note that MMS is alpha software, MMW5 on the other hand is a Release Candidate.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
DS220+ have CPU Intel Celeron J4025, so most likely you should try Intel x64 version.

MM5 if helper to migrate media to MMS.

MMS i sin Alpha stages and when done you should be able to sync with Devices without MM5 started while you can use MM5 to manage MMS library.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
KurtBe

Post by KurtBe »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:09 am 1) At the moment MMS only integrates with MMW5, it doesn't integrate with either MMW4 or MMA. The benefit of MMS on a NAS is the always on nature, but if your PC with MMW5 is on when you need to access it from other devices it may be overkill.:

The benifit as opposed to MinimServer...

2) The latest release for the device you're installing it on. So for Synology you'll need to the Synology installed (not sure if one exists). The releases are all of the same date. They are different versions...

3) MMW4/MMW5 can index, manage and play media files on NAS devices via their File Shares (don't use their DLNA Servers).:
I do not quite understand this. What is the meaning of 'their File Shares' (Who's file shares?, where do I find/see these File Shares?)
Same for 'their DLNA Servers': Who"s DLNA Servers?, Where do I see/find/access/configure the other 'xxx' servers?)

4) Into MMS or MMW5? one computer runs on MM5, antother on MM4: can they both play music from the NAS Server?

Note that MMS is alpha software, MMW5 on the other hand is a Release Candidate.
KurtBe

Post by KurtBe »

Peke wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:16 am Hi,
DS220+ have CPU Intel Celeron J4025, so most likely you should try Intel x64 version.

MM5 if helper to migrate media to MMS.

MMS i sin Alpha stages and when done you should be able to sync with Devices without MM5 started while you can use MM5 to manage MMS library.
Thanks Pavle,
I also interpreted the intel x64 version the most probable candidate.
Would it be a good idea to do so, or is using the Minimserver preferrable?
IF MMS would be preferrable, how does one go about to install it? (I had a feable attempt, but got nowhere... the instruction to run 'mms' did not result into any action at all... Do I run it from within the NAS, or what? I really have no experience, but am very willing to learn...)

Greets, Kurt
KurtBe

Post by KurtBe »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:09 am Note that MMS is alpha software, MMW5 on the other hand is a Release Candidate.
I know, that is why I am trying to find out if it would be a good idea to try it allready, or start off with Minimserver instead, which is about since many years... (You see, I have very little idea what a server does and how it can influence the practical use of MediaMonkey as a whole)
Greets,
Kurt
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like you may not want to start with MMS.

DLNA, is a method to stream media from a server to a client, no editing is possible, just stream (play): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0

Whereas a Fileshare allows you to access the files the same way as if they're local to the PC. You can do all operations on the files as you would on local files

If you install MMS on the Synology, it is run from the Synology. MMW5 can access that.

I personally run MMW5 on Windows that accesses the files via the fileshares on the NAS. No DLNA Servers on the NAS, but MMW5 acts as the DLNA Server to all the DLNA clients. However my Windows PC is an always-on PC.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:00 pm I personally run MMW5 on Windows that accesses the files via the fileshares on the NAS. No DLNA Servers on the NAS, but MMW5 acts as the DLNA Server to all the DLNA clients. However my Windows PC is an always-on PC.
ATM I use same approach and it is working flawlessly. NOTE this is mostly due the fact that MMS is in very early Alpha stages and still not fully defined product.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
KurtBe

Post by KurtBe »

Thank you both for your reply.

If I understand correctly, MMS (or any server for that matter) would only be to use DLNA?
But indeed I notice that MM5 allows Multi zone, which is very useful. Does this mean I will not/never need any music server on the NAS?

What I am trying to achieve is that I can use MediaMonkey from different computers, phones, tablets, car (I currently use Neutron in the car), etc to play the music I have collected over the years and have added a lot of (personal) tags to (Now on my laptop with MM4 & MM4 database).
I am in the proces of installing a NAS and would like to put all the music files on that NAS.
Then play that music using MediaMonkey installed on the various devices. But what I wonder about is if the MediaMonkey database should also be on the NAS, and have every 'local version' of MM (desktop, laptop, phone, etc.) point to that single database. Or am I expecting the impossible here?

And how do I get the database from MM4 into the 5 version?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Kurt
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMW5 is a full DLNA Server, so if you want to use it (ie. you're okay that the PC is on when you want to DLNA stream) you don't need any server Apps on the NAS. MMW5 can provide the DLNA Server capability for the files on the NAS.

MMW4 database to MMW5: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98038&p=476514#p476514
PeterXXX

Post by PeterXXX »

Hi KurtBe, I'm running a similar configuration as you can see from my signature.
On my laptop MM4 and MM5 are installed in different folders.
If you haven't found a solution yet, you could contact me by PM.
Greatings
Peter
PS: I am German
Music library of about 36.000 items (MP3, FLAC),
mainly maintained with MM5 (lifetime license) and Mp3tag,
on Win10 x64 22H2,
stored on Synology NAS DS218+ running MinimServer.
KurtBe

Post by KurtBe »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind reply.
I sent you a PM a few days ago.

Looking forward to your reply.

Kurt (I am Belgian...)
dersk

Post by dersk »

Well, I'm about to jump into this with my Synology DS216play, which uses a STM STiH412 Monaco chip, which as best I can tell uses ARM v7 architecture. I had been running MM5 on an old laptop, but it's dying and I'm moving to just using a tablet (and my work laptop, which I'm not supposed to use for personal stuff). Before I dive into it, a question: will it also run a sync server so that I can synchronize over wifi to my phone and tablet (both running the Android version of MM)?

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, unfortunatelly MMA can't sync with MMS yet. Only MMS<->MM5 sync is possible atm.