Add-On to Populate Field Values For Video Content From Video File Associated Kodi NFO Files

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

onyxwave

Add-On to Populate Field Values For Video Content From Video File Associated Kodi NFO Files

Post by onyxwave »

I'm checking out version 5 of MediaMonkey for the first time today...specifically version 5.0.1.2433.

I was curious to know if someone has created an add-on for MediaMonkey 5 to populate the fields for a video file from a video file's associated Kodi based NFO file?

If such an add-on does not already exist or is not already in the works of being developed, how would I go about getting started to develop such an add-on myself?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions and I look forward to growth of MediaMonkey 5 as it gets further development improvements and enhancement additions and it gets just as great at managing video content as it is at managing audio-only content.

note to forum moderators - forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section, and please move it to the correct section if possible.
(happy MediaMonkey user since 2001 when it was named Songs-DB)
Peke

Re: Add-On to Populate Field Values For Video Content From Video File Associated Kodi NFO Files

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is already in development, I have created native core MM code for importing NFO files. It is still in testing.

There is extensive research I have done some time ago regarding TV Series, Kodi, Sonarr, SickRage, ....
You can read about it at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12481
and
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16332
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15246
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14413
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14048

Let me know if we missed anything and if you want I can help you with whatever you would like to do.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
onyxwave

Re: Add-On to Populate Field Values For Video Content From Video File Associated Kodi NFO Files

Post by onyxwave »

Peke:
Thanks for the quick reply and the links to the related ongoing development tickets. I'll look them over and provide feedback.

My ultimate goal for this request is to allow me to utilize the best features of Kodi for video file playback, skin layout for best TV viewing and metadata scrapping abilities, Plex for it's great handling of accessing library content remotely and sharing that content with others in your inner circle, and MediaMonkkey for its awesome file auto-renaming/organizing functionality and its way better smart/auto playlist creation.

After I use Kodi to scrap in the files' metadata, I want to use MediaMonkey to import the contents of that metadata from the NFO files and then create much more robust customized smart playlists that I would create PLS or M3U files from that, so I could then have Kodi reference those playlist files as a stream file for much improved playlist playback. It'll be my method to get around some of the playlist limitations of both Kodi and Plex where you cannot easily combine video content for different library types (example combine movies and series episodes) into the same playlist.
Last edited by onyxwave on Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
onyxwave

Post by onyxwave »

Also, as a side note, that is not directly related to this posting, I'm also going to be looking into developing a master database repository that links the MediaMonkey database library [C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB], with the 2 Kodi database libraries [C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database\MyMusic72.db] & [C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database\MyVideos116.db], and the Plex database library [C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases\com.plexapp.plugins.library.db].

I still use MediaMonkey for my audio file management of importing metadata and refining that metadata. I use Kodi for 80% to 90% of importing my video file metadata, and Plex for importing the remaining 10% to 20% of video file metadata. I want to create a master database that will keep the files which are shared across all 3 apps in better sync. I'm also considering adding the databases for the Calibre and ComicRack applications as well to this master database, yet I'm not quite sure how I want to integrate digital books and magazines in this master database.
onyxwave

Post by onyxwave »

Peke wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:15 am Hi,
It is already in development, I have created native core MM code for importing NFO files. It is still in testing.

There is extensive research I have done some time ago regarding TV Series, Kodi, Sonarr, SickRage, ....

Let me know if we missed anything and if you want I can help you with whatever you would like to do.
I read through the linked tickets (link for ticket 15246 did not work for me - it gave me an "Access Denied" result) and I like where things appear to be headed based on the ticket comments.
I was happy to see this ticket, as I was going to suggest moving away from TVDB. I've moved away from using TVDB over the past 9 to 12 months, and now use TMDB as my main metadata source for both movies and series. I only use TVDB as a rare second option now. So I'm hoping this ticket means that the development team has moved away from TVDB in favor of TMDB. I also utilize both Fanart.tv and TPDB (The Poster DB) for posters and fanart secondary options if I don't like the posters and fanart provided by TMDB. Not saying referencing those content resources is neccessary yet it might be a nice enhancement once the main functionality is worked out.

Though, as long as the function to import the data from the NFO files, I would be really happy with that, as my NFO files are always a little more informative than the having just the data that comes from the site sources like TMDB. For example, I store a lot of my own custom poster/fanart in Imgur and add the links to them in the NFO file (though as a backup I also store images locally in case Imgur ever goes down or their usage policy changes in the future like PhotoBucket changed. So this functionality you're adding is great for me if it reads the NFO files into all respective MediaMonkey fields, and it would be nice if the function would also us to map XML tags in the NFO file to custom MediaMonkey fields if they don't have an associated standard field in MediaMonkey. Also great if there's an option to pull the artwork from the locally stored artwork files first, and then artwork links second so in case links to the artwork in the NFO files no longer exist or the site is unavailable. Any additional functionality after that is just icing on the cake. :D