Question about the Lastfm plugin [#15842]

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Werewolfhero

Question about the Lastfm plugin [#15842]

Post by Werewolfhero »

Just wondering what settings I need to enable to allow my laptop in my garage that's using my desktop that's upstairs as a server, to trigger the last.fm plugin to scrobble what's playing. I've tried adding additional rules into it but nothing seems to want to jive. Never had this problem with MM4 using the same setup. P.S. this isn't about getting the two devices networked to play music (that it has no issue with), but the triggering the lfm plugin to cooperate with networking.

Mediamonkey Gold 5.0.0.2338
Lowlander

Re: Question about the Lastfm plugin

Post by Lowlander »

This is not possible, only plays by the internal player that are from the Library are scrobbled: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15842
Barry4679

Re: Question about the Lastfm plugin

Post by Barry4679 »

Werewolfhero wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:30 pmJust wondering what settings I need to enable to allow my laptop in my garage that's using my desktop that's upstairs as a server, to trigger the last.fm plugin to scrobble what's playing. I've tried adding additional rules into it but nothing seems to want to jive. Never had this problem with MM4 using the same setup.
Lowlander wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:36 pm This is not possible, only plays that are from the Library by the internal player are scrobbled
Lowlander seems to be assuming that these are not plays to the internal player. Is this the case?

Do you have MM5 installed on the garage laptop?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Werewolfhero

Re: Question about the Lastfm plugin [#15842]

Post by Werewolfhero »

It is installed on both the garage laptop but my music library is on my desktop pc. Asked because I had a similar setup ages ago that did what I was wanting (both casting to another computer and getting scrobbled to last.fm on MM4 (think it was back during the Vista Era lol ). Yeah there's MMA, but sometimes it decides to drop the audio (but continue playing). And I'm less worried about my playcount's being accurate in MM5 since that ship sailed several PC reinstall/transfers ago lol
Mediamonkey Gold 5.0.0.2338
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MM4 scrobbled for DLNA plays, but MM5 doesn't.

So in MM4 the MM4 Server would scrobble to last.fm which is create when playing on DLNA clients that don't support last.fm. MM5 can't do this.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:17 pm Yes, MM4 scrobbled for DLNA plays, but MM5 doesn't.

So in MM4 the MM4 Server would scrobble to last.fm which is create when playing on DLNA clients that don't support last.fm. MM5 can't do this.
I am not understanding something.
If the OP has MM5 installed on his laptop, and it is playing music stored on a shared network accessible drive on his PC, why does this have to be a DLNA play?

ie. my music is on a NAS ... MM5, on my PC, accesses the music using a share on the NAS, just the same as it accesses local files on my PC.
That's effectively what the OP is doing isn't it? ... so why the restriction?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not the setup, user is streaming from MediaMonkey which uses DLNA.

When you play files from a network share (can be on PC or NAS) the files will be scrobbled, but files played from a DLNA Server are not.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:34 pm That's not the setup, user is streaming from MediaMonkey which uses DLNA.

When you play files from a network share (can be on PC or NAS) the files will be scrobbled, but files played from a DLNA Server are not.
OK. I suppose it depends what Werewolfhero, meant by "as a server".
I presume that you are correct, because at least you know what you are talking about, and I am guessing :)

Werewolfhero, you can get what you want by getting your laptop to index the tracks on your PC ... presuming that you have opened your PC settings to share the music files, and the laptop has Internet access.

LowLander, what is the status of this new MM5 DLNA scrobbling limitation? Has the facility been abandoned, or is it deferred until MM 5.something?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Mantis shows it's been delayed till 5.0.2, however I'm not sure this will be addressed: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15842

The problem with the MM Server scrobbling (which I'd personally like to see) is that some clients also scrobble (like MMA), but others don't.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:35 pm Mantis shows it's been delayed till 5.0.2, however I'm not sure this will be addressed: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15842

The problem with the MM Server scrobbling (which I'd personally like to see) is that some clients also scrobble (like MMA), but others don't.
Thank you. The case seems compelling to me.
I don't see the potential for double scrobbling as an issue. I have not yet met an app or device that is without facility to turn off scrobbling. And scrobbling off|on is already built into MM5.