Backing up MM5 database similar to iTunes

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MMhow2

Re: Backing up MM5 database similar to iTunes

Post by MMhow2 »

Starting to make sense now. I hope.

I want to dump anything that has to do with iTunes on my PC.

Right now my music iTunes uses to populate MM is in Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music

For my laptop, I created a folder MediaMonkey5. In this new MediaMonkey5 folder, I copied all the MM5 files and all the files in Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music, essentially making one go-to folder.

I put that new folder on a jump drive and imported it on to the lappy in Music > MediaMonkey5.

So if I understand correctly, if I move the iTunes folder over to the Music folder on my laptop, everything should populate on its own?
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you scan for media it will add the files, no matter where they're located. This however is not the procedure if you want to use the old database.

Is MediaMonkey on the PC you changed your media files from the iTunes folders to the Music > MediaMonkey 5 folder update with this change? That would be best before you copy the database and media files.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Wait... if the MM5 file is living in AppData under username, how would that transfer to another CPU when the username is different?

Is it possible to have all the necessary files live in a single folder in Music?

I just need my Playlists to populate. I *think* I am good to go after that.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You just need to copy the database file. Your media files can reside anywhere you wish and it doesn't matter which Windows user the database is stored for.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Where is the right place/folder to put the database file on the new CPU?

Also, what purpose does adding script to the [SYSTEM] block do if all we need to do is relocate the db file? This what is confusing.

To streamline this, if I move the db file over to the new CPU, then Playlists populate? I ask, as that was the first thing I tried.

Thanks for your continued help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

DBName allows for custom location of database file. The right place is described here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Progress!

So here is where I am at;

All my music files show up in the MM5 dashboard.

All my playlists show, but when I click on a specific playlist, there is nothing there (no songs). This is the last part?

Just saw your post above. I think for what I am trying to do, the custom DB spot is over complicating things, as in not a necessary step for what my end-goal is?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The something went wrong along the way. Did you remove files from the Library at any point (like greyed out/dead links)?
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

I did not.

To be concise with things, after all this, here is what I have done or undone to get to this point;

- Created the MediaMonkey5 folder as stated in this thread with the contents described.

- From the current install if MM5 on my desktop CPU, I went to Playlists > right click "Export all Playlists" and saved them to
the new MediaMonkey5 folder I had already created > Playlists

- Moved the complete MediaMonkey5 folder over to the laptop via jump drive

- Once files were move over, went to File > Add/Rescan files to the Library

- After the above operation was completed, I went to File > Locate moved/missing files and completed that process as well.

That is my journey from A -> B with about 12 stops in between.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So you're not copying the database?

Playlists import empty if the Paths on them are not pointing to where the files actually reside. You can view the Paths by opening a Playlist file in a text editor (like Notepad). The Paths shown need to be where the files actually reside.

All that's needed is:
1) Copy database file over
2) Copy media files to the same location on new PC (drive can be different)
3) Fix with Manually Re-assign Drive
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Yes I am copying the DB.

To clarify;

#2 - When you say "Copy media files to the same location on new PC (drive can be different)" does it have to be the same path as far as user name > Music > ...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For Manually Re-assign Drive, yes. But you can use File > Locate Moved/Missing Files instead: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sing_Files
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

I don't know what to say at this point. I deleted iTunes off my desktop in case that was complicating things. I expected the files would gray-out, as the iTunes Media folder was now gone.

Then I used just as you linked to "use File > Locate Moved/Missing Files instead: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sing_Files". No joy. Even when I specify the correct path for the new location of the files, they stay grayed out and still try to pull from the iTunes folder. The new path just doesn't take.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Locate Moved/Missing Files requires the selecting of files that need to be located.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Making progress.

When I open MM5 to the dashboard, if I got to Music > All tracks, all the songs are there and the path is correct. They play!

Now the music is being pulled from the correct directory, the last part is having the playlists update the path for the individual tracks.

Why is the path correct under Music > All tracks and play, but the playlists are still jacked?