iPod Classic - Rebuild Database?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

kweller

iPod Classic - Rebuild Database?

Post by kweller »

I was transferring some of our music to a friend's iPod Classic 160 when MM starting throwing up errors about not being able to delete this file, that file... I found it impossible to abort the process at that point as I couldn't cancel it before another error message appeared. In the end I killed MM.

Now the iPod is showing 'No music'. I assume it's still on there as about 40GB of the iPod is being used and MM is showing me 1100+ tracks (there were more). It's a long time since I've used MM with an iPod but I'm sure there used to be a 'rebuild iPod database' option but I can't find it anywhere. Is that function still available?

Edit: I ought to add that I've tried copying the tracks MM is showing me to a folder on my PC. It copied about 118 before telling me it couldn't copy this track...that track.... When I try to play random tracks using MM some play but for others MM tells me 'Playback failed: Media Monkey cannot decode <track name>".

Thanks.

Kevin (who really wishes he'd taken a back-up of the iPod first but I've never had an issue with MM before...)
Lowlander

Re: iPod Classic - Rebuild Database?

Post by Lowlander »

Which version (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
kweller

Post by kweller »

Sorry, that would have been helpful information to put in my opening post - 5.0.1.2433 and it's running on W10.

Edit: And I've just noticed I've posted this in the MM4 section. Sorry.
Kevin
kweller

Post by kweller »

Thanks for moving this to the correct area. I managed to get all the music off the iPod, initialise it and started again but MM keeps throwing up similar errors.

The screen shots here show what's happening. The Application error message appears after the MM error message.

I restart MM, eject the iPod, put the iPod back in, restart the sync and tracks start to be copied, until it happens again. At least this time the iPod's DB has been OK so far.

Is a non-debug/non-beta version of MM4 available for download somewhere please so I can try that?

Thanks.

Kevin
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the iPod troubles in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

This will help the developers analyze why this occurs in your setup.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

According to the error it does not seem related to MediaMonkey version, but rather to the iPod itself, MM uses Windows file system/driver for transfering files to the iPod's volume D:\ , but that's failing in your case.

Probably the iPod's drive got corrupted somehow, I guess you would see similar errors using other apps too when copying files to the iPod (Windows Explorer, iTunes, iMazing), can you confirm? Do you have another ipod to test whether it exhibits similar errors?
kweller

Post by kweller »

I don't have another one unfortunately. After the initial failure I 'restored' (initialised) the iPod using iTunes which, I think, reformats the drive doesn't it?

I've run some further tests and it seems to be happening when converting .FLAC files to MP3. I'll test it with iTunes although it's not going to be easy to select the tracks I want using that.

Kevin
kweller

Post by kweller »

Ludek wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:22 pm According to the error it does not seem related to MediaMonkey version, but rather to the iPod itself, MM uses Windows file system/driver for transfering files to the iPod's volume D:\ , but that's failing in your case.

Probably the iPod's drive got corrupted somehow, I guess you would see similar errors using other apps too when copying files to the iPod (Windows Explorer, iTunes, iMazing), can you confirm? Do you have another ipod to test whether it exhibits similar errors?
You are 100% correct Ludek. I tried everything - different software, different USB ports, different cables, different PCs and all failed. I even tried slow formatting the iPod's drive before trying again but it all made no difference.

I've just managed to get hold of another iPod and both Media Monkey v4 and v5 have no issue putting music on it.

Thanks for the tip and I'm sorry I waster your time as it obviously wasn't a MediaMonkey issue.

Kevin