Do I need to keep both 4 and 5?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

zkyevolved

Do I need to keep both 4 and 5?

Post by zkyevolved »

Hi everyone. I upgraded to version 5 the other week and I much enjoy the new facelift. Thank you developers! I did notice though that my PC now has both version 4 and 5 installed. I would like to just keep one if possible. If I uninstall 4 will that remove my library? Are 4 and 5 right now sharing the same library?
Thank you!
Kind regards.
ramble-bumble

Re: Do I need to keep both 4 and 5?

Post by ramble-bumble »

Hello, I have the same question!
Both, 4 and 5, are installed as portable version on the same external drive, but in separate paths.
Thanks a lot!
Gold; Windows; CocktailAudio; Huawei
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

zkyevolved wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:34 pm Hi everyone. I upgraded to version 5 the other week and I much enjoy the new facelift. Thank you developers! I did notice though that my PC now has both version 4 and 5 installed. I would like to just keep one if possible. If I uninstall 4 will that remove my library? Are 4 and 5 right now sharing the same library?
Thank you!
Kind regards.
4 & 5 don't "share" the same library. MM5 builds its own library from MM4 data (optionally). The MM5 library receives a few minor structural upgrades from the MM4 version.

MM4 actually can open the MM5 database, but there is a warning against using it.
Both databases have their own name: MM.db from MM4, and MM5.db for the other.

You can uninstall MM4.
There is a short list of features that did make it across, See at the bottom of this for that list.
So make sure that you don't still need MM4.

I would also keep a safe copy of the MM4 database until you are happy that everything as it should be in MM5.
Your MM4 database is here.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

ramble-bumble wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:15 am Hello, I have the same question!
Both, 4 and 5, are installed as portable version on the same external drive, but in separate paths.
Thanks a lot!
Hi ramble-bumble.

A portable install of MM is effectively its own little world, in its own bubble.
It is like that, so that you can copy a instantly usable version of MM, complete with all your data, to another computer, by just copying the one folder.

This means that you can delete the MM4 version folder, and you are done, without any effect on MM5.
As per my above post, I could keep a safe copy of your old MM.db file for a little while.
nb. am not suggesting that there is any instability in MM5, nor its MM4 importation procedure .. but data is precious, and precautions are always advisable.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
ramble-bumble

Post by ramble-bumble »

Great, thanks a lot!!!
Gold; Windows; CocktailAudio; Huawei
zkyevolved

Post by zkyevolved »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 am
zkyevolved wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:34 pm Hi everyone. I upgraded to version 5 the other week and I much enjoy the new facelift. Thank you developers! I did notice though that my PC now has both version 4 and 5 installed. I would like to just keep one if possible. If I uninstall 4 will that remove my library? Are 4 and 5 right now sharing the same library?
Thank you!
Kind regards.
4 & 5 don't "share" the same library. MM5 builds its own library from MM4 data (optionally). The MM5 library receives a few minor structural upgrades from the MM4 version.

MM4 actually can open the MM5 database, but there is a warning against using it.
Both databases have their own name: MM.db from MM4, and MM5.db for the other.

You can uninstall MM4.
There is a short list of features that did make it across, See at the bottom of this for that list.
So make sure that you don't still need MM4.

I would also keep a safe copy of the MM4 database until you are happy that everything as it should be in MM5.
Your MM4 database is here.
All right, thank you very much for your reply :) Have a great day!
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

What's Missing?
The toolbar isn't configurable in the initial version.
Winamp (input, output plugins are compatible, but 'General', DSP and Visualization plugins are no longer supported.
CD Burning is no longer supported. If needed, you can use MediaMonkey 4 for this (note: MediaMonkey Gold Lifetime or 5.x licenses are backwards-compatible with MediaMonkey 4.x).
Virtual CD & Previews functionality has been deprecated. Virtual CD tracks are imported as standard library tracks, while Previews are imported but can no longer be created.
MediaMonkey no longer has an unskinned (Windows Theme) version.
Artist and Album Comment are not made available in MediaMonkey 5. The data itself is still stored in the database.

That alone is enough to keep MM 4 on my puter even though I doubt if I average more than two or three CD-Rs a month.
To each his reach, but if I don't cop it ain't mine to have
George Clinton