Slow MMW5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ramble-bumble

Slow MMW5

Post by ramble-bumble »

Hello, am I the only one experiencing a dramatic slow MMW5?
When it finally starts (I need several trials!), it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to open the program (without scanning!), all actions take ultra long, often you got the impression that MMW5 has frozen.
MMW5 is installed as portable version on an external drive, via WLAN.
I have Windows 10, 64bit, installed, the WLAN speed is super.
Gold; Windows; CocktailAudio; Huawei
Barry4679

Re: Slow MMW5

Post by Barry4679 »

ramble-bumble wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:24 am Hello, am I the only one experiencing a dramatic slow MMW5?
When it finally starts (I need several trials!), it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to open the program (without scanning!), all actions take ultra long, often you got the impression that MMW5 has frozen.
MMW5 is installed as portable version on an external drive, via WLAN.
I have Windows 10, 64bit, installed, the WLAN speed is super.
I would start by saying that I don't find MM5 to be slow. I have a moderately large library.

You ran MM4 data that way?
It doesn't sound optimal to me.
MM5 uses the same database technology as MM4, ie. Sqlite.

I have all my tracks on an external device, but keep my MM database on a drive local to my PC.
There seems to be performance cost, but no gain, by putting the database elsewhere ... Sqlite is not designed to handle simultaneous access from multiple computers.

BTW MM5 has a baked-in automated database backup function. The 5.02 release is being tested. It allows you to configure your database location to an external database.

You could try going to MM5 File>ManageDatabase and take option Optimise.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
ramble-bumble

Post by ramble-bumble »

Yes, I run MMW4 that way before, without problems.
I prefer having the database on the external drive, because I had a data loss (e.g. playlists), when I connected the drive directly to the PC, instead of the ususal WLAN connection.

I will try your "Optimise"-tip but that will take some time, because I am facing holidays :D

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

30 to 60 minutes?? That's really curious. For me both MM4 and MM5 start times are nearly the same (several seconds).

I would suggest to capture this in debug log (see item 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ) so that we could analyze why it is happening in your environment.
ramble-bumble

Post by ramble-bumble »

Ludek wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:28 am I would suggest to capture this in debug log (see item 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ) so that we could analyze why it is happening in your environment.
Thanks for the link! However, it will take some time until I will be able to operate, due to holidays (fine!) and being busy (sad!) :roll: .