How to tag CD from Web

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ramble-bumble

How to tag CD from Web

Post by ramble-bumble »

Mornin'!

In MMW4 there has been a quite comfortable and intuitive search for a CD on the web, in order to autofill all details.
In the past, those information were provided mainly by FreeDB, which however is closed down.

In MMW5 this feature is a little hidden, I suppose it is called "search for metadata" now, right?

Regrettably, despite the close down of FreeDB, MMW5 still searchs there and - of course - cannot deliver the data of new CDs.
The program keeps to this behavior, even when I switched to MusicBrainz in the options.
And, on top, apparently there is no addon which enable search in DISCOGS data base.

All that leads to manual completion of CD data, very annoying.

Any idea how to solve the problem.
Gold; Windows; CocktailAudio; Huawei
Barry4679

Re: How to tag CD from Web

Post by Barry4679 »

ramble-bumble wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 am In MMW4 there has been a quite comfortable and intuitive search for a CD on the web, in order to autofill all details.
In the past, those information were provided mainly by FreeDB, which however is closed down.

In MMW5 this feature is a little hidden, I suppose it is called "search for metadata" now, right?

Regrettably, despite the close down of FreeDB, MMW5 still searchs there and - of course - cannot deliver the data of new CDs.
The program keeps to this behavior, even when I switched to MusicBrainz in the options.
And, on top, apparently there is no addon which enable search in DISCOGS data base.
I don't recall seeing anything described as "search for metadata" in the MM5 UI.
But I am assuming that you are referring, at least partially, to this? Correct?

See the question mark, towards top right? That indicates that the panel has a link to the MM5 online help.
Press the icon, or press F1, and you are taken to this page, which contains this
Database Freedb (CDDBP) or Freedb (HTTP) with Server name mb.mediamonkey.com allows you to access the old Freedb database now hosted by MediaMonkey. Do note that Freedb has closed and that the database only contains what Freedb had when they closed. For new content you'll need to use MusicBrainz or an alternative Freedb server that is being updated (we don't know of any).
"
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
ramble-bumble

Post by ramble-bumble »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:58 am I don't recall seeing anything described as "search for metadata" in the MM5 UI.
But I am assuming that you are referring, at least partially, to this? Correct?
Partially: When you right click the drive with the CD inside, in the context menu you can chose "Autotag metadata" or similar (I do not have open MediaMonkey right now, sorry).
But I guess, this feature leads to the settings as per your screenshot.

And that is what is puzzling me: You cite the online help
Barry4679 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:58 am For new content you'll need to use MusicBrainz or an alternative Freedb server that is being updated (we don't know of any)
but the program still claims that it does not find the CD on Freedb, although the search is directed to MusicBrainz (as in the screenshot); Do I have to activate that setting somehow?!?!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Right click on the CD in the Media Tree and use Lookup Audio CD metadata. This should run automatically when inserting a CD: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... om_CDs/5.0

It only works for commercial CD's and not all CD's are in MusicBrainz. When a CD isn't found you can enter the Artist - Album tags (so you can find it) and Rip the CD. On the Ripped files you can try Tools > Auto-Tag as its fingerprinting may find Title information (the Album could be wrong though if MusicBrainz didn't have the Album at all).

Both CD lookup and Auto-Tag use the same MusicBrainz lookup (by default).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

ramble-bumble wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:06 am but the program still claims that it does not find the CD on Freedb, although the search is directed to MusicBrainz (as in the screenshot); Do I have to activate that setting somehow?!?!
Nothing other than th setting at Tools>options>Library>MetadataLookup.

I changed it to Freedb (HTTP) and mb,mediamonkey.com
And then did the lookup how you described, i.e. via the Folder node.

It obtained the metadata OK,

I don't know what the cutoff is in their Freedb database clone.
I tested using a 2008 CD, which my PC has never seen before.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
ramble-bumble

Post by ramble-bumble »

Good morning!

It looks like the malfunction, as described by me, only appears if the CD is not yet registered by the different databases.
For instance "K bay" from Matthew E. White, released just last Thursday, that one lead to the error message "not found on Freedb".
"Topaz" by Israel Nash, from earlier 2021, was recognized immediately however, when I inserted the CD.

I will work off all your hints and tips later.

Thanks a lot so far!!!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

ramble-bumble wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:54 am It looks like the malfunction, as described by me, only appears if the CD is not yet registered by the different databases.
For instance "K bay" from Matthew E. White, released just last Thursday, that one lead to the error message "not found on Freedb".
"Topaz" by Israel Nash, from earlier 2021, was recognized immediately however, when I inserted the CD.
I am not familiar with details, but as I understand it:
  • Freedb closed down; probably due to lack of interest or money or volunteers or ??
  • MM obtained a copy of their database, and make it available from their server
  • there is nobody to keep the Freedb project up to date as new CDs are released
  • so Freedb works OK for music which was uploaded by Freedb, and was released prior to the handover date, ... and I don't know when that was
So it is better described as a "limitation", rather than a "malfunction"

AFAIK Musicbrainz is an ongoing project, which is why that is the service which MediaMonkey uses by default.
ramble-bumble

Post by ramble-bumble »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:59 am AFAIK Musicbrainz is an ongoing project, which is why that is the service which MediaMonkey uses by default.
But the message still says that it is not found on Freedb, I guess this is a small bug.

I will monitor during further working with MM5.

Thanks again!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

ramble-bumble wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 am I will monitor during further working with MM5.
OK

ramble-bumble wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 am But the message still says that it is not found on Freedb, I guess this is a small bug.
When you back to it remember that MM is going to in one place only.

If you leave it at the default, it will go to MusicBranz, and if the CD cannot be found there the message will say "was not found in MusicBrainz"

If Tools>Options>Library>MetadataLookup is set to Freedb, this is not the default. It will look at the old Freedb database in MM servers ONLY ... and if the CD is not found the message will say "was not found in Freedb".

That's what happens for me ... so if you see anything else, well yes it is probably a small bug.
ramble-bumble

Post by ramble-bumble »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am If you leave it at the default, it will go to MusicBranz, and if the CD cannot be found there the message will say "was not found in MusicBrainz"
Nope, even if MusicBrainz is set as default, the message continues to say "not found in Freedb"
Barry4679 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am That's what happens for me ... so if you see anything else, well yes it is probably a small bug.
Probably... :wink: