Sorting by Album Artist?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

petercmig

Sorting by Album Artist?

Post by petercmig »

I recently downloaded the MM5 release and it all looks fresh and new, but: From MM4 I am used to have my albums listed in 'Album Artist' order and I cannot figure out how to this in MM5. So for now I keep my MM4 version.
Lowlander

Re: Sorting by Album Artist?

Post by Lowlander »

petercmig

Post by petercmig »

Thank you! Now I get the albums in 'Album Artist' order. Although, in MM4, I get a nice 'unknown' collection at the end of the album list - I really miss that in MM5. (I have a large collection of albumless songs). Any solution to this?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think not, but it may depend on what View and Node you're in. There is the Music > Files to Edit > Unknown Artist node.
COSMOS1999

Post by COSMOS1999 »

The artists display is buggy, on an album of 10 tracks, you have 10 covers which are displayed ....
I am going back to MM4 while waiting for an update to fix this problem because I do not like the display of version 5 at all

The alphabetical classification of artists has disappeared? A, B, C etc
Last edited by COSMOS1999 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are the Album and Album Artist values the same for all files on the Album and if so, what are you sorting on?
COSMOS1999

Post by COSMOS1999 »

It seems that the problem comes from the artists button: obviously the player displays several covers, each possibly corresponding to a different artist in the same album. On MM4 there is no this problem, it would be necessary to modify the button "artists", by "artist of the album"
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In both MediaMonkey 4 and 5 the Album Artist needs to be the same for all files on the Album for MediaMonkey to see it as one Album.
COSMOS1999

Post by COSMOS1999 »

Yes I understand, but then why from the same library folder, the artists are well classified and grouped in MM4 and not with MM5? To avoid having to edit all the tracks, you need an "album artist" button

For example, I have a Johnny Hallyday compilation. Track 1 the artist is Johnny alone but track two he makes a duet with another artist, so in the display you have two covers displayed

Also, why did you remove the letters from the alphabetical classification? (A, B, C ...) it's easier to browse the library
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

COSMOS1999 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:21 am Yes I understand, but then why from the same library folder, the artists are well classified and grouped in MM4 and not with MM5? To avoid having to edit all the tracks, you need an "album artist" button

For example, I have a Johnny Hallyday compilation. Track 1 the artist is Johnny alone but track two he makes a duet with another artist, so in the display you have two covers displayed

Also, why did you remove the letters from the alphabetical classification? (A, B, C ...) it's easier to browse the library
The id3 system - which MM4 & MM5 both use - is designed so that an album has one Album Artist, but each track can have a different Artist. So in your case, the compilation would have Johnny Hallyday as Album Artist, Track 1 would have Johnny Hallyday as Artist, Track 2 would have Johnny Hallyday + Duet Partner as Artist, etc. Since several albums can have the same title, Album Artist is used to distinguish them. That's why the system has both Album Artist and Artist fields, each of which can have different values for the same track (and probably does have for compilation albums).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

COSMOS1999

Post by COSMOS1999 »

I understand what you are saying, but it does not suit me. With this new display, unknown artists (for me) are displayed with the same album cover, when I select "artist" in MM5. I have to edit all the albums that have different artists in the same album and choose only the main artist, this to avoid a multitude of covers displayed, I don't have that with MM4. Very tedious to edit the albums one by one, whereas with MM4 everything was in order (the format of the libraries has undoubtedly changed between the two versions). I hope that the audio content is not affected when changing the tags, because if it is, I am considering taking a streaming subscription so i wont be upset anymore with the software versions of my favorite player, until MM5
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It may depend what you're sorting on, MediaMonkey 4 also splits Albums if the Album Artist isn't the same for files on the Album.
flashbasbo42

Post by flashbasbo42 »

I purchased the upgrade to 5 and am very disappointed and I will be sticking with version 4.
I hope a future patch might resolve the too many problems to list. I'll check back in a year or so

Some of my issues:
I have over 19,000 tracks in over 60 genres from over 1,300 CDs and albums. I only use this for my local music. I don't use it for video, podcasts, steaming, sharing, or server (or other computer) data.

Version 4 has no problem letting me navigate around the genres, artists, albums, tracks, etc, using the tree on the left side.

Version 5 can't do this and seems limited to 12 hard coded genres (using the breadcrumb across the top). Selecting "genres" on the left just gives me a dump of everything in a form that I find difficult to read even with changing some of the limited display options available.

Categories is confusing, does not help (not even sure how to use it or why), and I can't easily find how to define "category" (although, the thought of having to edit my entire library to include a "category" definition is even more annoying)

Text display appears to be banned for some reason in place of showing only album images which then get clipped with just the top part of each image displayed for each track if I attempt to display all the tracks in an album. This causes at least a 2 second delay while the process caches up all the images it can find (and paging down does the same delay).

I tried the four available "skins", the two "dark mode" give me a headache the fastest while the other two take a little bit more time. I can't even change the font.

I even checked the .INI file to see if I could change some of these settings...no luck.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Genres, MediaMonkey 5 works with any number of Genres. If you're missing Genres make sure they're assigned to files in the Library. Using Music > Genres in the breadcrumbs gives me the full list of Genres used in the Music Collection. The same in the Genres node in the Media Tree and the Genres Column in the Column Filter.

2) What do you mean when referring to Categories?

3) Not sure what View you're using in what node, but there are different Views available: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ging_Views

4) Skins will take time before more are made available: https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... 1/skins-1/