Question: multiple MMW Clients on shared database, possible now?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

Question: multiple MMW Clients on shared database, possible now?

Post by Andre_H »

Hi folks,

Question: Are there, and if, what options to access a shared MMW database with several MMW clients?

Background: I run my MMW5 (installed as non portable) on a virtual machine so that MMW is available 24/7. Media files are integrated as UNC paths (and could be reached from other computers), database is in the path that MMW set up during installation.

I sync a few Android devices relatively regularly (hence the 24/7 availability), when I sit at my desk at home, I connect to the virtual machine via RDP and play music via the MMW running there. Sound quality then is "OK" and handling is often quite clumsy - both probably because of the RDP access.

I don't want to convert my MMW installation to MMS at the moment, because it's officially still in alpha status, a stable environment is important to me.

Is there any option for a shared MMW environment in local network?

Thanks!
Andre.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Lowlander

Re: Question: multiple MMW Clients on shared database, possible now?

Post by Lowlander »

It's possible, but not recommended to have multiple installations work on the same database at the same time: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... vironment/
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Thanks for the link, i'll give it a shot.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Hi there,

I am trying to implement the "2-Client-Setup" as described above, and after changing the INI I can access the Mediamonkey-DB on PC1 ("Server") from PC2 ("Client") without any problems.

If I change data on PC2 (title ratings, for example), this is immediately visible on PC1. So far great! But Playcounts are currently not passed through "properly" from PC2 to PC1: Of 20 titles played on PC2, only about 1/3 of the playcounts are transferred to PC1, and even that only after restarting MediaMonkey on PC1. Some of the playcounts are not even shown on PC2, where the tracks definitly are played.

Anything I can do/check here?

Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Further tests: If I close MediaMonkey on one of the two computers and run it on the other, regardless of the constellation, all data are up-to-date. Only the parallel operation does not seem to write completely - even if one of the two "instances" is not actively used, but is only open (so it's no "big data" problem, i had a look into the docu that Lowlander linked).

I can live with that, but if there is a way to leave an MediaMonkey instance open on PC1 (aka "MediaMonkey Server") and play music on a different PC2, and i'm just do something wrong, I would be very interested in all relevant information.

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, as for the data not up-to-date.
MediaMonkey caches the data from DB in memory, so definetly by restarting you can be sure that DB changes in 'instance 1' are propagated to 'instance 2'.
Also pressing F5 to refresh/re-read might be useful in this area.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you just want to play on a client MediaMonkey you can use Media Sharing (no editing of files possible): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Ludek wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:45 pm MediaMonkey caches the data from DB in memory, so definetly by restarting you can be sure that DB changes in 'instance 1' are propagated to 'instance 2'.
not completely. as i said, i lost a few playounts, that never appeared, even not after restarting both instances. maybe i did something wrong in the order of the restarts, but they were lost.
Ludek wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:45 pm Also pressing F5 to refresh/re-read might be useful in this area.
tried that, didn't bring up the missing data.
Lowlander wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:21 pm If you just want to play on a client MediaMonkey you can use Media Sharing (no editing of files possible): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0
I mainly "just play", but a few minor changes to tags are here and there, so no: DLNA is not suitable for me at this point.

Don't get it wrong: Everything is fine! I have bought a program for single-user operation, and do not see this as a bug or an obligation to bring. I would have used a multi-client option if there was one, but I can live well with "only one active instance on a shared database" until MMS is ready to go. :)