Jittery Scrolling - Artwork Browsing [#17739, #18239]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

jaype

Jittery Scrolling - Artwork Browsing [#17739, #18239]

Post by jaype »

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for posting this:

So I have a pretty large library (>6TB) of mainly lossless files. I'm happy with the functionality of MM5 (recently upgraded) but I can't seem to figure out how to fix the jittery scrolling when I'm scrolling through in artwork mode.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a fairly beefy machine... it's a Ryzen 7 3800X with 128GB RAM and SSD's (I work in 3D, so it's my old rig from last year that I use as a media server and gaming machine now).

Any ideas?
Lowlander

Re: Jittery Scrolling - Artwork Browsing

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) and do you have Smooth Scrolling enabled under Tools > Options > Performance?
jaype

Post by jaype »

Hi - build is 5.0.1.2433 (latest as I just updated). I just checked and 'smooth scrolling' is definitely enabled (it's pretty much a default install).
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Hi,
I believe this issue is related to the following, caused by images being repeatedly loaded from disk: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17739
Can you confirm that by "jittery", you mean you are getting a low framerate? Does your framerate improve if you significantly decrease the size of the window (thereby reducing the number of images that have to load)?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
jaype

Post by jaype »

drakinite wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm Hi,
I believe this issue is related to the following, caused by images being repeatedly loaded from disk: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17739
Can you confirm that by "jittery", you mean you are getting a low framerate? Does your framerate improve if you significantly decrease the size of the window (thereby reducing the number of images that have to load)?
That seems likely (that it's a caching issue).

By jittery I meant that the album thumbnails disappear and reappear (blinking) while scrolling so introducing a sort of jumpiness into the scroll.

I should mention that the media library itself is on an external NAS (connected via USB 3 at the moment, haven't hooked up LAN yet), so that might also exacerbate any read-time/latency.

At my fullscreen resolution, I see an 8 x 5 grid of albums, when I reduce the size of the window so it shows only 3 images across there is a reduction in jitter.

Edit: Just a note. If I use the scroll bar to scroll instead of mousewheel (or trackpoint and middle click) there is no jitter.
drakinite

Re: Jittery Scrolling - Artwork Browsing [#17739]

Post by drakinite »

Hmm, so this might actually be different from what I was thinking, considering that the scroll bar makes the issue go away.
Could you record a video of it for me?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
jaype

Post by jaype »

I uploaded the mp4 to my dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfrlksb5ikyaj ... g.mp4?dl=0.

The capture was 30fps so it missed a bit of the glitching at the start, but you can see the blanking/frame-drops later.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Right, thank you- That's definitely not an image caching issue. More like a rendering problem. What DPI settings are you using? Any Windows text scaling?
If you're using anything other than 100%, can you try and change it to 100% (disable scaling) and see if that resolves the issue?
jaype

Post by jaype »

Hm, my monitor is a 3840x2460 at 120x120 (dpi) so 100% scaling makes things a bit tiny. It does get rid of the jitter though completely. Hmm... I've set Windows to 125% scaling for usability (it was at 150%) and it's improved the scrolling a little.

The graphics card on this rig is a 12GB GTX-1080ti for the record, I did a driver update just to be sure, but the issue still persists (with the windows recommended scaling at 150%).
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Got it, thanks for the info.
It's definitely not a bug with your graphics card drivers, that's for sure (but it's still good of you to check and make sure it's updated.) It seems likely that it's a problem with how the items on the screen are positioned via JavaScript. I can *kind of* reproduce a similar effect on my own screen by setting to 150% scaling and scrolling with the middle mouse button, but still not sure what's exactly going wrong. Will keep you updated if we learn anything.
jaype

Post by jaype »

Just a suggestion if anyone else gets this and wonders how to fix it. Using the below makes this working fine for me.

You can keep your Windows 10 environment scaled and switch it off selectively for any app with compatibility mode settings.

Do this by navigating to the app install directory and modifying the "compatibility" settings; enabling 'High DPI Scaling Override' (I set it to '"system [enhanced]").
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Good to know!
So when you set that setting, does it essentially make MM behave as if you don't have any DPI settings set? (i.e., making everything smaller)
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

jaype wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:45 pm
Hi jaype,
I don't believe I ended up tracking the jittery album art issue on Mantis, after we discovered it was a rendering bug and not related to caching. Could you do us a favor and check if the issue is still present in the most recent RC-1 build (without the DPI compatibility mode workaround)? viewtopic.php?p=490719#p490719
Thanks!