I am DONE with MMW5! [Edit: Frustrations addressed]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

I am DONE with MMW5! [Edit: Frustrations addressed]

Post by gordol »

[Edit: Frustrations addressed. Once I finish cleaning up the library, I'll give MMW5 another try]

That's it, I am DONE with MMW5. So far as I can tell, this is a bug laden underdeveloped product that should still be in beta, not release mode.

On one PC, I have the problem described in this topic viewtopic.php?f=33&t=99909&sid=aecf90e1 ... 5bc8614a26 that pre-dates that topic and caused me to not use MMW5 a year ago, nothing has changed there.

And now, it just seriously messed up over three THOUSAND tracks in my music collection on my primary computer, the one I use to sync music to my phone. It replaced the album art on them ALL with the art from one album. Now I have to go through my entire collection and fix it.

Here are some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/YsyPFrJ.

They show two views of MMW5 and one of MMA showing this.

I've had problems with MMW4 losing album art occasionally, but never anything like this. I know it's not MMA that did this because the last time that app was updated was back in April (according to the Google Play app on my phone), and this happened last night. There is only one way to fix the album art, and that is MANUALLY. For several HUNDRED albums.

And it's on the actual media files, not the MM.dat database files because a lot of them are showing that way, same album cover, in MMW4. At least for many it didn't replace the art, merely added and made the default. On at least some, the original artwork has been completely replaced.

At this point, I am removing MMW5, reverting to MMW4 on both computers, and will continue to use MMW4 until MMW6 or it dies on me, in which case I may go back to an iPhone.
Last edited by gordol on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gordol

Re: I am DONE with MMW5!

Post by gordol »

It's worse than I thought. Fixing albums in MMW4 and syncing, they're updated, but I'm seeing albums in MMA with the wrong cover art, go back to MMW4 and the visible art is correct, but going into the details, and lo! The same incorrect art is there.

Now I have to go through all 738 albums in my collection, one by one, to verify and fix.

I am beyond pissed at this. MMW5 has already been removed and I have no intention of putting it back on.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The video issue was only reported less than a month ago, and is something that has not been reproduced by the team. It is some specific environmental variable and a debug log as has been requested will hopefully shine a light on what causes this so it can be fixed.

As for the Artwork, we have no reports on this. I'm not sure what you think may have caused this. Are you Sync caused this problem? If so, are saying MMA or MMW was the initial cause of the Artwork swap?

The team, as always, is here to help solve problems and bugs, but we do rely on reports from the community and often debug logs to go along with that to capture the specific setup variables that lead to the bug.
gordol

Post by gordol »

I reported the video issue via support ticket on March 17, 2021. Ticket number 978. Nothing ever became of it. You, Lowlander, are the one who answered that ticket.

I did nothing on my end between when the artwork was fine and when it got screwed up. I had been using MMW5 exclusively for over a week before it happened. My first clue that something was wrong when MMW5 / MMA downloaded over 3000 tracks that already exist on the phone. Since I keep my entire library on the phone as well as the desktop, the only thing it should be doing is updating the metadata and playlists. The only times it should be downloading tracks is when I add new content, or if I update album art. I did not update the art on 3k+ tracks.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Not sure you've saw my last post re video issue. I've added some debug messages and created new build to test.
gordol wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:18 pm I reported the video issue via support ticket on March 17, 2021. Ticket number 978. Nothing ever became of it. You, Lowlander, are the one who answered that ticket.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
gordol

Post by gordol »

PetrCBR wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:30 pm Not sure you've saw my last post re video issue.
Didn't I respond to that that it made no difference?
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

No there were new build with additional debug messages i sent at 22/9. I'll be glad if you give it a second to test (and make a debuglog).
gordol wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm Didn't I respond to that that it made no difference?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
gordol

Post by gordol »

I'm going to be busy spending the next several days fixing the album art on over 700 albums.
gordol

Post by gordol »

gordol wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:51 pm Now I have to go through all 738 albums in my collection, one by one, to verify and fix.
Correction: it's 738 Artist entries, 1,684 albums. I was looking at the wrong column.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
gordol wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 pm Correction: it's 738 Artist entries, 1,684 albums. I was looking at the wrong column.
I really wonder how it was possible that MM do that on itself if this by default enabled is present (it was same in MM4 too)

You are using MM for quite some time and know how powerful can be and that it do not do a thing on its on, even users aks from us to make that (eg. Auto duplicate tracks removal).
Re album art and artist images MM5 by default do not save anything into tags,

We use publicly available sources not paid services in order to keep users choice and make future enhancements.

Please explain what you think it happened and how and we will try to help resolve all the issue.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gordol

Post by gordol »

Confirm modifications to more than 50
This was off in MMW4. I did not touch this setting in MMW5, is it possible that the settings imported when I imported the database? It appears that my device sync settings were xferred over.
Re album art and artist images MM5 by default do not save anything into tags
I did not touch those settings in MMW5, I do not see similar, at least not in the same place, in MMW4. In any case, my preferred use is to store all of the info about the track in the media file itself whenever possible. That's what the ID3 tags are for, including the album art. And I consider all of my media to be "portable". Anything that is used generically by other apps belongs in the common location of the media file itself, not in any app's proprietary database. I currently have no immediate plans to switch to something else (I already tried, can't find anything else on Android), including back to an iPhone, but I will always leave that door open.

As for metadata lookup, only for missing art or lyrics. None of the albums have missing artwork, and the art item that is at the center of this would not have been found for any such lookup anyway as "Sheryl Crow, 100 Miles From Memphis" is not "ZZ Top, Tejas" or "The Benedictine Monks, Chant", or any of the other several hundred other albums so affected.
Please explain what you think it happened and how and we will try to help resolve all the issue.
To recap, I had been using MMW5 exclusively on my main desktop, the one I use to manage my media library and sync my music with my phone, for a couple weeks in the free trial period. It was working fine, then this happened.

Due to the video issue with MMW5 on the other computer, that one has been using MMW4 on its own database, using the common media library files which had been moved to my OneDrive prior to the installation of MMW5. Both computers are set to fully mirror my OneDrive, so all the media files in question are in fact on each local computer. That computer, though, almost never plays music as I could never get it to update the metadata of last-played back to the main setup so I use it for videos only.

What would really help right now is if there was some view I can't locate to let me see all the album art in a file without having to go into the Properties. (Art View only shows the first Art, though it appears that MMA shows the SECOND when there is more than one.)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Really curious issue with the same artwork assigned to so many various files.
Couldn't it be that you somehow organized the files to the same directory/folder and the arwork was picked from that directory somehow? Is the artwork stored in file tag or in the folder? You can see this in Properties > Artwork.
Does it happened after a sync or which operation caused it?

As for MMA showing second image, I believe MMA shows the first, but it may depend on your settings in 'MM5 > Devices & Services > YourDevice > Sync Profile > Tagging ' and probably also on the type of artwork specified in Properties > Artwork
gordol

Post by gordol »

Ludek wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:01 pm Really curious issue with the same artwork assigned to so many various files.
Yes.
Couldn't it be that you somehow organized the files to the same directory/folder and the arwork was picked from that directory somehow?
No. I did not change the file organization.
Is the artwork stored in file tag or in the folder? You can see this in Properties > Artwork.
Tags. MMW4 does not show that info in Properties -> Artwork. The setting in the options shows set to "Save to tags if possible". There are no image files in any of the album folders I checked on the hard drive.
Does it happened after a sync or which operation caused it?
Cause? No clue. Read the thread above for more info.
As for MMA showing second image, I believe MMA shows the first, but it may depend on your settings in 'MM5 > Devices & Services > YourDevice > Sync Profile > Tagging ' and probably also on the type of artwork specified in Properties > Artwork
And for the umpteenth time, MMW5 has been removed from my computers after this.
The artwork is a mix of "Cover (Front)" and "Not specified" in the art details. There is no correlation between this and the issue at hand. "First" and "Second" is the position they show in, in MMW4.

And here's another curve ball: I just found one track separated from its album because the Album Artist was changed (Allan Sherman is not Cher). I did not do that, not even accidentally because I had not touched the metadata on it prior to this very lengthy process of fixing the data. I generally do not touch anything other than ratings once I've added the music to the collection and ensured the artist/album/track info is correct at that time.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

gordol wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:29 pm Tags. MMW4 does not show that info in Properties -> Artwork. The setting in the options shows set to "Save to tags if possible". There are no image files in any of the album folders I checked on the hard drive.
He means go to Properties > Artwork, and hover the mouse over the image shown there ... the path is displayed in the tooltip
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:17 pm He means go to Properties > Artwork, and hover the mouse over the image shown there ... the path is displayed in the tooltip
Ok. "Stored in tag" on the half dozen or so I just checked.