How to sync specific folders from PC to Android 11 phone

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Matrixmainframe

How to sync specific folders from PC to Android 11 phone

Post by Matrixmainframe »

I have a Windows 10 PC running MediaMonkey v5.0.1.2433 Standard Unregistered edition

Ok I know it's probably me but MM5 seems sooooo complicated, unintuitive and user unfriendly that I'm about to uninstall it and go back to Windows Media Player (WMP) which has not been updated in a long time so thought MM5 would be a better option.

I am trying to sync some, not all , of my music files from my Windows 10 PC to my Samsung Galaxy S10 which is running Android 11. With WMP it is simple in that I simply select/highlight all the music I wish to sync with my mobile device, drag them all across to the sync panel and click on SYNC.

I cannot figure out how to do the same with MM5!

Can this be done? If so, please can someone explain how in simple terms because the MM5 online help is not exactly easy to understand?

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: How to sync specific folders from PC to Android 11 phone

Post by Lowlander »

You can select what to Sync in the Device Profile Sync List. Within Collection listed you can use Location select specific Folders, or use Albums to select specific Albums to be Synced: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Device.29

So select Music on the Sync list (Library > Device) tab and then either expand Location or Albums to select the specific items you want Synced.

You can also right click nodes in the Media Tree (folder or Albums) or on selected files in the Library and select Send To > device, but that won't remember what you had selected to Sync.
Matrixmainframe

Post by Matrixmainframe »

Thank you lowlander for your response.

I do understand but it does not seem granular enough to also enable the syncing of individual tracks and is an overly complicated way of doing it. I have had a look at Musicbee which does appear to provide the detailed syncing I require and in a much more user friendly way so I think I'll leave MM5 to you pros and go with Musicbee but once again thank you for your response.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you want individual files the recommendation is to add them to a Playlist selected to be Synced.
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Reverse of your problem but might be related. I'm running MMW 5.0.2.2506 gold, windows 10 21h1, and MMA 1.4.4.0955 and I've noticed sync list (device to library) and sync profile ( file locations [other locations to scan for]) the settings reset to scan for everything whenever I try to wifi sync. Usb just freezes so stoped doing it that way.

Side questions: If I just want music/playlists/album art to be synced should I just select the music folder?
And where does the "." Folder lead to?
At least for me the drop down arrows aren't showing sub folders. Just did a clean install and don't remember how I had it set up.
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Reading this thread confirms that MM isn't for me. I came here to figure out how to sync media from PC to phone and it's way too complicated. End-users like me want intuitive, and MM syncing is far from it. Perhaps next iteration - g'luck.
Peke

Post by Peke »

SteveO wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:43 am Reading this thread confirms that MM isn't for me. I came here to figure out how to sync media from PC to phone and it's way too complicated. End-users like me want intuitive, and MM syncing is far from it. Perhaps next iteration - g'luck.
Only thing we have found that as MM is designed around users freedom to set things as they want, initial sync setup can take some effort, but end result is rewarding. What showstoppers you encountered, maybe they are already solved and/or easy to be solved?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
injenuitive

Post by injenuitive »

Peke wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:52 am
SteveO wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:43 am Reading this thread confirms that MM isn't for me. I came here to figure out how to sync media from PC to phone and it's way too complicated. End-users like me want intuitive, and MM syncing is far from it. Perhaps next iteration - g'luck.
Only thing we have found that as MM is designed around users freedom to set things as they want, initial sync setup can take some effort, but end result is rewarding. What showstoppers you encountered, maybe they are already solved and/or easy to be solved?
I agree with the others in this. I have MM5 gold and the gold android app, but dread having to use it because it feels overengineered compared with other music apps. I got it to help me clean up some dupes and mislabeled items in my library, which it helped with, but it felt like everything took research to work out and the interface was designed as though users are expected to enter in with some level of understanding of the tool which I didn't have. Most user guides are either outdated, overly technical or incomplete. I fumbled through cleaning my library and syncing to my phone but it repeatedly failed and gave no indication of where the errors were occurring. I was frequently left to just try random fixes until I got the magic combination of clicks to make it work.

My current frustration though is that the app itself seems to be failing and not even playing through a single song in full. I tried reporting it through the app store using the developer email address provided with the app, in which I provided screen shots, phone details, my attempts to troubleshoot it and all I got was a one line auto reply telling me to write into another support site, which I couldn't get to work until today--a month after I first noticed the issue. Originally tried several days in a row to log in and just got errors so I just gave up.

(I went ahead and tried the app one more time today after downloading another system update and it's still failing.)

I think I'm past the point of making it work with MM- I hate having to sift through pages of forums for everything (usually coming up empty) and seeing no improvement on the mobile front, there is really no upside to keeping it. I'm not excited about looking for another tool since there aren't any options in between wmp and mm but I'll be switching to something a little more user friendly even if it means a loss in capability.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, setting up what to sync from the PC to Device should be as simple as the help says here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Device.29
Didn't this work for you?

injenuitive wrote: My current frustration though is that the app itself seems to be failing and not even playing through a single song in full. I tried reporting it through the app store using the developer email address provided with the app, in which I provided screen shots, phone details, my attempts to troubleshoot it and all I got was a one line auto reply telling me to write into another support site, which I couldn't get to work until today--a month after I first noticed the issue. Originally tried several days in a row to log in and just got errors so I just gave up.
Which app are you referring. Is it "MediaMonkey for Windows" or "MediaMonkey for Andorid" ? Did you submit eSupport ticket with your issue or report it via forum?
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

injenuitive wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:23 pm I agree with the others in this. I have MM5 gold and the gold android app, but dread having to use it because it feels overengineered compared with other music apps. I got it to help me clean up some dupes and mislabeled items in my library, which it helped with, but it felt like everything took research to work out and the interface was designed as though users are expected to enter in with some level of understanding of the tool which I didn't have. Most user guides are either outdated, overly technical or incomplete. I fumbled through cleaning my library and syncing to my phone but it repeatedly failed and gave no indication of where the errors were occurring. I was frequently left to just try random fixes until I got the magic combination of clicks to make it work.
I have to agree with you on this as well. I have been dealing with this for months, as I was looking for a seamless transition from iTunes. I have had to redo my media database because there was not good communication between iTunes and MM5. I am finally ready to sync to my Android again and the playlists are not showing, nor populating.

I will say Ludek and Peke are great at checking the board and providing attentive support. Trouble is, as others have said, you need a fair amount of support getting some features up and running. If there are this many threads in the forum about "things not working as they should or seem as they should", there is something that needs to be addressed as far as end-user usability. I like MM and not wanting to throw in the towel on it, but there is a lot of troubleshooting to get MM5 working as intended.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Wanted to add, I have read the thread here to see if it would help, but it did not. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=100267
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
MMhow2

Ugh. Another one.

Post by MMhow2 »

MM5 for Windows and Android. Both paid versions.

Playlist are not syncing. Summary > Sync list (Library --> Device) has Music and Playlists selected. Music transferred via Wi-Fi without issue. When trying to get playlist, device shows Analyzing, then Analyzing sync list... the crashes on downloading > Preparing to download. This sucks. I just want my playlists populated.
MMhow2

Re: Ugh. Another one.

Post by MMhow2 »

Just uninstalled and reinstalled. Same issue. FML.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the failures with Sync in a debug log (step 4b) with Build 2508 and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this fails in your setup.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:50 pm Please capture the failures with Sync in a debug log (step 4b) with Build 2508 and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this fails in your setup.
Downloaded the latest version of the debug at the link you sent. There was not a 2508 release available at the link you sent. The version there was a 2420.

Also, why was my thread deleted in the MM5 Android area? That is where this should be discussed, not in this thread. I am going to repost this there.