MM5 not detecting NAS

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

vkumar

MM5 not detecting NAS

Post by vkumar »

I have all my music on a Synology NAS that is part of my home network. MM5 fails to detect it in the Add Locations menu. My Firewall says MM5 has full permissions. The NAS is fully visible to Windows File Explorer. Other apps like Foobar 2000 have no problem - can see the NAS and upload all music from it. How can I correct this?
Barry4679

Re: MM5 not detecting NAS

Post by Barry4679 »

I think that you have to do something like this:
  • navigate to your music share using Windows File Explorer
  • click on the Explorer address bar, and copy the address of your NAS (eg: , \\<your NAS>\<your music share>)
  • paste that address into the MM5 Add Folders panel alongside the Add button (the panel where you see that it is missing from the list)
That will allow you to workaround the issue, and next time you have to add muisc you will see that MM5 has remembered it, and your NAS will be in the list.

I also have a Synology NAS, and the same thing happened to me.
btw there is some reasonable sounding reason why this happens, but it is too boring to remember :P
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
vkumar

Post by vkumar »

@Barry4679, Many thanks for that. 8) It worked brilliantly. I had been typing IP addresses, URLs and all sorts - just didn't think of pasting the windows file address! (doh)

However, the joy was short-lived. I found something about MM5 more worrying, even sinister - I can only hope I am wrong. Basically my Music folder (in the NAS) consists of several sub-folders of tracks and some folders of experimental stuff (which I don't want to go into the Library), but MM5 puts everything in. So I thought, easy enough to exclude a folder from the Library, right? Apparently not. If you right-click on a folder, there is only one nearest option "Remove", so I thought let's try it. To my horror, MM5 proceeded to Delete the entire FOLDER from my NAS!!

Originally, I had tried to select only the required folders when building the Library, but no! Once you give MM5 access to the NAS drive, it assumes the entire drive is up for grabs and fills the tree with every folder on it.

So I don't know where to go now. I don't want folders I want to exclude filling up my Library. And I certainly don't want a Music Manager that thinks it's a File Manager. Help!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't exclude a folder from the Library that is a sub-folder of a folder that's included in the Library. All sub-folders of a selected folder will be scanned.

Solutions:
1) Use Collections to filter these files out, so that although they're in the MediaMonkey Library, they're not shown in the Collection you're using.
2) Move the folders you want excluded out of folders that are being scanned.
3) Set files to be hidden as those won't be scanned by MediaMonkey.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Additional to LowLander's point.

Make sure that you have the Locations, mentioned in the File>AddRescan menu, set toSchedule=Manual. That way rescanning is under your explicit control.
vkumar wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:25 amIf you right-click on a folder, there is only one nearest option "Remove", so I thought let's try it. To my horror, MM5 proceeded to Delete the entire FOLDER from my NAS!!
[snip]
I certainly don't want a Music Manager that thinks it's a File Manager. Help!
It sounds like you were in the Folders node. That node is equivalent to the File manager built inside MediaMonkey, ie it is looking a your folders and allows you to operate on them directly.

Other nodes (eg. Music, Classical Music, or EntireLibrary) are looking at your database.
A "Remove" from those has two options:
  1. Delete from database only?
  2. Delete from database & drive?

BTW the one that you did respond to did warn you, but it easy to skip the fine print if you have a different expectation.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Villanova27

Post by Villanova27 »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:50 am I think that you have to do something like this:
  • navigate to your music share using Windows File Explorer
  • click on the Explorer address bar, and copy the address of your NAS (eg: , \\<your NAS>\<your music share>)
  • paste that address into the MM5 Add Folders panel alongside the Add button (the panel where you see that it is missing from the list)
That will allow you to workaround the issue, and next time you have to add muisc you will see that MM5 has remembered it, and your NAS will be in the list.

I also have a Synology NAS, and the same thing happened to me.
btw there is some reasonable sounding reason why this happens, but it is too boring to remember :P
Hi

I recently got a NAS, DS214+, moved all my music on to it onlly to find out that I needed MM5 to I can access it. I downloaded MM5, but was still struggling. So, I signed up on here to see if there was any good advice, and there was!

Thank you for this excellent help, Barry, because I was getting nowhere fast without it.

Rob
Peke

Post by Peke »

Villanova27 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:49 pm I recently got a NAS, DS214+, moved all my music on to it onlly to find out that I needed MM5 to I can access it.
You do not need MM5, but it is suggested. In MM4 you need to scan into library at least one folder from NAS so that MM List it under network for browsing. MM5 just do that more elegantly ;)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts