Grid - how to sort by Album Artist then Release Date

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

johne_3065

Grid - how to sort by Album Artist then Release Date

Post by johne_3065 »

Hi,

I am a Gold user, and have been having problems sorting the grid display the way that I would have thought was the logical way.

I select:
Music > Albums

That is:
1. Album Artist, then
2. (Release) Date

This way I will see The Beatles in correct order under "B", and then each album in correct release order. Instead they are sorted by the album name, so Abbey Road is first, followed by A Hard Day's Night. This is not what I want at all.

Grid view drop-down just above the actual grid view has these options but I can only select one of them at a time, but I want to select the Album Artist and then the Date.

I must be doing something wrong, as this would seem to be a fundamental view that I would have thought was what many/most people would want.

Can you please help me with this.
Lowlander

Re: Grid - how to sort by Album Artist then Release Date

Post by Lowlander »

The Grid only provides limited sorting and only 1 level of sort order.
johne_3065

Post by johne_3065 »

What do I need to do to put in a request to get this added please?

I think that It is one of the most fundamental display formats that a person would use, and would like to request for it to be added. How do I go about this, please?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I'll start of by saying that I agree that Grid sort options are inadequate.
johne_3065 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 pm What do I need to do to put in a request to get this added please?
You have probably already done that. FWIIW this request has been made before, by various people, myself included.
You could repost it to the MM5 forum whose name specifically mentions Feature Requests.

A couple of other points. The change is by design I think:
  • MediaMonkey has always had underwhelming album grid sort capabilities, and they have actually gone backwards in this new release (from 6 sort options to just 3)
  • most of the dropped options were fairly bogus because there is no album level attribute like rating and genre
  • Have you looked at the AlbumArtist index? ... that may give you what you are aiming for, and it may do it in a more space-efficient manner
    1. open the AlbumArtist node for your collection
    2. set View to Grid, sort will automatically be by AlbumArtist
    3. click on a Artist, and in inline panel will open, which displays the Artist's album in Release sequence
    4. click Esc key to close, or click on another artist
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
johne_3065

Post by johne_3065 »

Barry4679 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:30 am
A couple of other points. The change is by design I think:
  • MediaMonkey has always had underwhelming album grid sort capabilities, and they have actually gone backwards in this new release (from 6 sort options to just 3)
  • most of the dropped options were fairly bogus because there is no album level attribute like rating and genre
  • Have you looked at the AlbumArtist index? ... that may give you what you are aiming for, and it may do it in a more space-efficient manner
    1. open the AlbumArtist node for your collection
    2. set View to Grid, sort will automatically be by AlbumArtist
    3. click on a Artist, and in inline panel will open, which displays the Artist's album in Release sequence
    4. click Esc key to close, or click on another artist
Thanks a lot for this. That seems to work okay. I was not aware of this, so thanks a lot for pointing this out.