[REQ] Requests for Changes to MM5 Searching

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MPG

[REQ] Requests for Changes to MM5 Searching

Post by MPG »

Hi,
I've been using MM5 exclusively for about 2 months now and I feel that the searching could be seriously improved in the following ways:
1) Search's must to be added to the tree for later reference
2) The search box in the toolbar must be a drop down so a user can select previous search's
3) Provide an option to stop the help text that comes up when you click in the search box. I believe experienced users will find it annoying...I know I do
4) Stop collapsing the search box in the toolbar. It adds another search and click with is very frustrating
5) When doing scroll searching through the result set, there should be a timeout after a click. For example, I have a result set that is sorted by album and I type in C, it takes me to the first album that starts with C. If I wait 2 seconds, and type in S I expect it to take me to the first album that starts with S, not searching for an album that starts with SC. It seems that to reset the search, I have to move to another song. Again, more clicks than necessary.
6) Ctrl+Shift+F doesn't open advanced searching, either does F3, and there doesn't appear to be a way to set a hotkey for it. (why?)

Update:
7) Is there anyway for the scroll on the miniplayer to stop going back and forth and instead scroll like a ticker? I personally find it hard to read text when it's going backwards.

I really hope these changes are made in the searching capabilities of MM5 soon.
Last edited by MPG on Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
Rob_S

Re: Requests for Changes to MM5 Searching

Post by Rob_S »

Yes to all!!

In particular, the search node on the tree, the visible search box, and the dropdown for previous searches!!!

I suppose we will be told to shut up and go back to MM4 if we liked it so much...
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Barry4679

Re: [REQ] Requests for Changes to MM5 Searching

Post by Barry4679 »

MPG wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm 1) Search's must to be added to the tree for later reference
I agree this was better, see below.
MPG wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm 2) The search box in the toolbar must be a drop down so a user can select previous search's
It does have a dropdown facility for selection from history.
It is only active you have typed at least one letter.
It has a couple of weird implementation issues (IMO)
  • it is in FIFO sequence ... ie. shows you most recent search terms at the bottom of what can become a very long list?!
  • you can't manage the history .. ie. you can delete unwanted entries from the list
  • you can only see historic searches that start with the characters you have typed so far, which is sort of OK if you are a spelling wizz, but in the Contextual search box (the transient one in the middle of the Toolbar, not the one by the magnifying glass on the right) is a pain because it closes as soon as I backspace to clear the search box, so you can't change the 1st letter
The resulting overall experience is currently less good that the Search node was in the Media Tree

MPG wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm 3) Provide an option to stop the help text that comes up when you click in the search box. I believe experienced users will find it annoying...I know I do
The help text is not from the click action. It is from the mouse hover action.
You can fix any annoyance by not hovering over the control for for than a second.
Maybe I am more un-coordinated than you. I click on the control, and start typing without see the help tooltip display.

MPG wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm 4) Stop collapsing the search box in the toolbar. It adds another search and click with is very frustrating
100% agree.
The bits that I don't like about MM5 is where it thinks that it is an AI.

MPG wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm 6) Ctrl+Shift+F doesn't open advanced searching, either does F3, and there doesn't appear to be a way to set a hotkey for it. (why?)
There is no default Hot Key for Advance Search, but you can make one. ... ie. "Edit Advanced Search" is available in the "Select an Action" dropdown list in the Edit Hotkey section og Tools>Options>General>Hotkeys

------------------------
To balance all of this I think that the Search facilities in MM5 are a significant improvement over MM4.

I like the fact that the Contextual search facility is always listening, and an a "Any Text Field" Contextual search can be made with zero effort.
The sort syntax is useful, and it has made the Advanced Search facility entirely redundant for me.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

MPG wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm 4) Stop collapsing the search box in the toolbar. It adds another search and click with is very frustrating
100% agree.
The bits that I don't like about MM5 is where it thinks that it is an AI.
I just wonder what's the point of having search box visible?

What's the difference between clicking the magnifying glass button or clicking the search bar?
Both is just single click and typing the search word/phrase.

Similarly what's the difference when I press Ctrl+F to search and type, the result is the same, isn't it?
MPG wrote: ↑Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm
2) The search box in the toolbar must be a drop down so a user can select previous search's
It does have a dropdown facility for selection from history.
It is only active you have typed at least one letter.
You don't need to type a letter, you can press down arrow to see the full list.
i.e. Ctrl+F and down arrow
it is in FIFO sequence ... ie. shows you most recent search terms at the bottom of what can become a very long list?!
Good point, tracking as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18631
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:53 am I just wonder what's the point of having search box visible?

What's the difference between clicking the magnifying glass button or clicking the search bar?
Both is just single click and typing the search word/phrase.

Similarly what's the difference when I press Ctrl+F to search and type, the result is the same, isn't it?
The point is this
Ludek wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:53 am You don't need to type a letter, you can press down arrow to see the full list.
i.e. Ctrl+F and down arrow
This is unavailable in Contextual Search.
The dropdown is only available after I have typed one or more characters.

If I am trying to remember something from another time, in a Contextual Search< I have to give you a letter, and I have guessed the wrong letter, I backspace so I can try another, ==> and you close the search control.

It is like trying to go get my groceries inside in a gale. Every time I pick up the groceries, the bloody wind slams the door shut.

Couldn't you close the control when focus is moved elsewhere, rather than when the search string is empty?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.